Unknown Ration Matchbook

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
ChowLine

Unknown Ration Matchbook

Post by ChowLine » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:24 pm

I recently picked up this matchbook cover, but can't quite seem to place the era is was produced, or what ration it was used in. I have compared it to other matchbooks in my collection dating from 1950-1973 which feature the "damp climate" information and it is quite different. Has anyone here run into these before still with the ration it was included in? I have my theories about the period of production, but wanted to see what others thought first.
20220330_153042_HDR~2.jpg
20220330_160834_HDR~2.jpg
Chowline

Tedster

Ration Matchbook

Post by Tedster » Thu Mar 31, 2022 8:56 am

One marker, at some point somebody decided having the striking surface of a matchbook placed on the opposite side was vital to our safety and well being. That looks to be one of that era. Maybe post 1970s? Er, I can't tell by looking at it from here... That's a rough demarcation line though.

ChowLine

Re: Unknown Ration Matchbook

Post by ChowLine » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:22 pm

The striker (black strip) is affixed to the front of the matchbook, and not on the back. They started putting the striker on the back for safety purposes (as you stated) I think in the 1980s with the launch of the MRE. Since this is a front striker matchbook it predates the 80s and likely the 70s.

My hunch is that this may be a late 1940s matchbook printed when many rations were being assembled at the Chicago Quartermaster given the markings on the back and what looks like an early version of the "The matches will light in damp climates" text. However, thats just a guess.

Tedster

Ration Matchbook

Post by Tedster » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:24 pm

It's possible they were never included in rations, but they were obviously part of some other government procurement contract. Unfortunately people who would know i.e. "Oh, I remember those! They were part of a Civil Defense kit we were issued" are getting long in the tooth if they are still around.

That phone number style - the "pennsylvania 6-5000" probably narrows it down a bit maybe.