Anyone get sick before trying older rations to eat?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Phu_Bai

Anyone get sick before trying older rations to eat?

Post by Phu_Bai » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:06 pm

Been eating (small amounts) of Korean, MCI rations, WWII candy and so far so good. I've pretty much learned what to avoid as per Steve's videos. Been eating candy, cocoa, coffee, fudge, peanut butter, crackers. Have been wanting to try some jam in an intact can from an MCI but can't find one as of yet. Have more things to try as well. What's the worse that has happened - stomach ache? Please chime in with any experiences or what specifically to avoid. Thanks.

Militaryration_guy

Re: Anyone get sick before trying older rations to eat?

Post by Militaryration_guy » Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:49 pm

Phu_Bai wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:06 pm
Been eating (small amounts) of Korean, MCI rations, WWII candy and so far so good. I've pretty much learned what to avoid as per Steve's videos. Been eating candy, cocoa, coffee, fudge, peanut butter, crackers. Have been wanting to try some jam in an intact can from an MCI but can't find one as of yet. Have more things to try as well. What's the worse that has happened - stomach ache? Please chime in with any experiences or what specifically to avoid. Thanks.
The worst experience I've had with a ration was my mouth getting numbed from a 27 year old MRE
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Tue Feb 08, 2022 1:32 am

Phu_Bai wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:06 pm
Well, you COULD get botulism, or some other disease. My advice? Don't try the jam. The stuff you have tried so far is A-OK to eat, but Jam is often bad.
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

greycheese03

Post by greycheese03 » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:54 am

I had a similar experience where my mouth went numb from a 2003 MRE Pound Cake, when I was much less experienced with what to and what not to sample I tried the Cheese Spread from a 1996 BBQ Pork MRE, it seemed pretty normal besides the off-grey color and it tasted a bit stronger than the new stuff... Needless to say, my ass was glued to the toilet for a good little while the next day!

MrFahrenheit
eBay name: Nomad2k3

Post by MrFahrenheit » Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:47 pm

greycheese03 wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:54 am
it seemed pretty normal besides the off-grey color
You're a lot braver than me! :mrgreen:
I came, I saw, I ate some rations then fell asleep amongst the clover.