Spent $900 on a box of WWII chewing gum...

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Phu_Bai

Re: Spent $900 on a box of WWII chewing gum...

Post by Phu_Bai » Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:11 pm

Not much other then okay return it. Not saying there was but something didn't feel right to me about this deal after the fact. Live and learn and I was able to return it. So it's all good.

ChowLine

Post by ChowLine » Wed Apr 06, 2022 4:53 pm

Hey, I think that box of gum got re-listed on eBay, or one that is very similar ot it as it does not have the same penciled date on the bottom or tape marks/ discoloring. This time its really aged up though with peices and bits of gum wrappers inside instead of a whole full box. Looks to be the same seller as well.

Sketchy if you ask me, and if it is the same seller this thread is about, seems to me that this example was spiced it up a bit with some aging so it passes muster better.

What are everyones thoughts though?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185374052054?h ... SwZ4ViTMZA

Jim_M1988
eBay name: Jim_M1988

Post by Jim_M1988 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:29 pm

Hah, I'd say that's the same. Those pieces of torn wrapper and snapped gum looks ridiculous :lol:
I think this passes way less than before!

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:46 am

Bought a partial dinner unit that turned out to be a repro and returned it. Realized who the seller was...

ChowLine

Post by ChowLine » Thu Apr 07, 2022 5:59 pm

steve1989 wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:46 am
Bought a partial dinner unit that turned out to be a repro and returned it. Realized who the seller was...
It looks like that seller ended the listing for that gum box. I sure hope no one took the bait and bought it. I made an offer of $15 just to get it and see what it was all about, with the added intent of documenting it and plastering it all over the internet so no one else could make the mistake of ever buying one. My offer was refused just a few min later, oh well. Now, I looked at this guys other listings and I had NO idea that he was the same person selling those C ration "reproductions," which are just paint cans with a sticker. Nor did I know it was the same guy selling repro K rations at $40 a meal or the C ration accessory packets for $20 each!!!! WOW, that's expensive, way more that I would feel comfortable charging for my repro stuff. Anyway Steve, I would really love to see pics of the K ration you bought from him that you returned, also how much did you pay for it? Glad to see this guy at least takes stuff back once people see what's been passed as original.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Sat Apr 09, 2022 6:11 pm

I'll dig out the photo I used for the ebay return.. can't seem to find it now but I'm tellin ya it was a noticeable repro with real & non matching supper k rat items... to this partial dinner unit box that was super fake

Phu_Bai

Post by Phu_Bai » Fri Apr 22, 2022 12:18 pm

I basically found out the seller had bought a bunch of PK separately. I then asked if the gum was original to the box. He said he had two of these boxes and the one I got was full and original and the second one which he was keeping for himself was not full. Not saying that's not true but I didn't believe him. He responded with that after I sent this:

==================
"This leads me to believe the gum you purchased from this seller in the link above was added to the box I purchased. You never did answer my question directly/specifically, if the gum in the box, is the gum it came with when you bought it or was it added after the fact.

You have a clever way of doing the wording in your description of the auction I won. I don't want to pay almost $900 for a box that has had gum added to it from whatever range of years. If this is the case you should have disclosed in your auction that period correct, with unknown year of manufacture gum was added to the box to fill it.

I could be totally wrong but unless you have a valid explanation for this concern. I will be returning it."
==================

To his credit there was absolutely no hassle in the refund. I received it in the mail, didn't open it and stuck a return label back to him and got credited back the $900 or whatever a few days later. I learned a lesson and am a lot more careful in my purchases now.