Air crew lunch ruined by customs

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Fallout420

Air crew lunch ruined by customs

Post by Fallout420 » Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:42 pm

I cannot even explain how disappointed I am. This Air Crew Lunch was in fantastic shape when I purchased it from the Netherlands. Waited a long couple months for it, and it finally arrived today. Well, it had a big “Inspected by customs” sticker on it which was worrying. Carefully opened the box to find that customs had opened it, cut the bubble wrapping open, and just placed the box on top of the bubble wrap when they boxed it back up. But worst of all, they sliced the box open. I assume when they cut the bubble wrap they cut too far.

I am pretty bummed as this was going to be the holy grail of my collection and I paid a pretty penny for it. Customs policy is that they aren’t responsible for damages. It’s a sad day
Attachments
41958715-EFAE-48E7-8F3A-C75F36EAE56A.jpeg

Smitty

Re: Air crew lunch ruined by customs

Post by Smitty » Sat Jan 22, 2022 11:59 pm

A shame they treated this ol' vet like that. Just was returning home. Still though, cuts and all, it's a survivor.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Tedster

Air crew lunch

Post by Tedster » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:46 am

You should feel much safer now

norge

Post by norge » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:46 am

Hate when this happends... Customs policy is that they aren’t responsible for damages. Wrong they are not supose to damage gods in search of drugs and so on, i went to court for a matter like this and won over the customs!

ChowLine

Post by ChowLine » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:00 am

That really sucks. BUT that can be repaired and made close to good. I have restored original ration items and stabilized them for preservation in my own collection. It may be involved, but totally doable. Here is what I would do and have done in the past. Go online and find find clear archival adhesive tape, the kind used to repair documents and paper goods by museums. Also purchase some archival acid free glue, you will need it. Look up some videos on how to un-glue old paper and cardboard (usually with an iron, steam, some cloth, and gently applied heat gradually pulled apart with a thin blade like an x-acto knife or razor blade) Disassemble the box after the glued parts have been taken care of and repair the cut/ tears on the bottom and side from the inside with the archival tape. Once the cut/ tear is repaired, put the box back together with the archival glue and you will be golden. The cut may still be slightly visible, but it will not affect the piece in the long run.

I did my masters work in American history with a focus in public history, collections, archives, and artifact preservation. There are some great tutorials made by museums on YouTube that describe this process that you can watch. In the meantime, I would put the surviving food contents into a zip lock bag, or better yet a vacuum sealed bag. I do this to prevent moisture/ insect damage while I work on restoring my rations and preserving contents for display in sealed clear plastic containers.

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:12 pm

Perhaps it's time to call our Congressmen and request action about this stuff.
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:56 am

Militaryration_guy wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:12 pm
Why should they care?
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:37 pm

GunnarTheFeisty wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:56 am
Why should they care?
They're our voice in government that can change things, if enough of us call them then maybe something will be done.
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Mon Jan 31, 2022 1:24 am

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:37 pm
GunnarTheFeisty wrote:
Why should they care?
They're our voice in government that can change things, if enough of us call them then maybe something will be done.
There's maybe 70 guys active on the forums? Quite a few aren't American. Most are in different states.
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Mon Jan 31, 2022 4:09 am

Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:37 pm
GunnarTheFeisty wrote:
Why should they care?
Have you written to your congressman?

Also why would they care - I mean the meat import law is there for 'safety'
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations