Let's talk about what C-Rats you can eat...

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Phu_Bai

Let's talk about what C-Rats you can eat...

Post by Phu_Bai » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 pm

So far I found this is what's edible. Speaking mainly of 1962-1978. Also I've heard the pineapple jam is still edible. Any other jam flavors that are as long as the canned isn't bulged?

EDIBLE:
peanut butter
coffee
crackers
cookies
most chocolate
gum
hot cocoa

Have tried the following and some were probably edible but I chewed them up to taste them and then spit them out.

QUESTIONNABLE:
fruitcake
cinnamon roll
chocolate nutroll

Fallout420

Re: Let's talk about what C-Rats you can eat...

Post by Fallout420 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:34 pm

I’ve eaten a 1972 Menu 11 Ham, Sliced with Juices. It was perfectly preserved and didn’t make us sick, but man was it salty haha.
Attachments
AB177A1A-6D91-452B-B1EF-4A31F64C2D1B.jpeg

Phu_Bai

Post by Phu_Bai » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:34 pm

Wow. How long ago was that? I guess like they say it all comes down to how these are stored over the years. Thanks.

Tedster

C-Rats you can eat...

Post by Tedster » Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:09 am

I was buying them at Army Navy surplus stores in the mid 1980s for use hiking and camping. They were starting to show their age then, and they weren't all that aged.

It would be interesting to see how they fare when stored at 33° to 40° F. controlled conditions. I bet they would be OK, if a little oxidized.

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:20 am

I had a 1978 "Beefsteak And Potatoes With Gravy" Can, Perfectly preserved also, but my only pictures were at night and blurry, partially because I was only opening it to preserve the contents, not actually eat it
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Phu_Bai

Post by Phu_Bai » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:02 am

I've heard that you can't have botulism in C-rations that were properly canned which almost all were because botulism can't live for 50 years in a can. I get conflicting stories when I look online. What is the actual danger - is there black mold and botulism? I have seen videos with mold spots on the canned cheese spread when opened. Anyone care to elaborate and share their info or experience. Thanks.

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:04 am

I've got a 76 or 78 B-1 unit with crackers and candy, not sure how the contents is inside but the can itself is in good condition and I'd say is probably edible
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 am

Phu_Bai wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:02 am
I've heard that you can't have botulism in C-rations that were properly canned which almost all were because botulism can't live for 50 years in a can. I get conflicting stories when I look online. What is the actual danger - is there black mold and botulism? I have seen videos with mold spots on the canned cheese spread when opened. Anyone care to elaborate and share their info or experience. Thanks.
I think (Just my ideas) Where they physically stamp the date into the can can mess with the different layers etc and lead to the cans being not so great over time
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:35 pm

koreyyy1 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 am
Phu_Bai wrote:
I think (Just my ideas) Where they physically stamp the date into the can can mess with the different layers etc and lead to the cans being not so great over time
That and probably because they didn't intend for them to be used in the long term
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:00 am

Militaryration_guy wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:35 pm
koreyyy1 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 am
Phu_Bai wrote:
That and probably because they didn't intend for them to be used in the long term
It's canned- intention has nothing to do with it, just design. I'm not 100% sure about the stamping, but remember canning was most likely contracted out to whoever charged the least.
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.