New guy with some questions...

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
GigaBuist
inactive

New guy with some questions...

Post by GigaBuist » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:21 pm

Okay, I read just about everything there is on this forum today. Definately an interesting group of guys, that's for sure. :)

I never knew people where into MREs this much.

First, is it safe to make this a regular part of your diet? I have no idea what kind of preservatives are used in the things. I'm not exactly a health nut (heck, having a nice cold Sam Adams right now!) or anything, but if I'm going to be buying them and eating them I'd kinda like to know what I'm getting into.

I'm interested in them for a few reasons... one being I'm a friggen bachelor with no desire to cook anything, ever. Two, whatever is in these MREs has to be a better balanced diet than the crap I get out of the vending machines at work for lunch when I'm pushed for time, and if I can get them under $5 a pop it'll be cheaper than running to the burger joint 10 minutes away.

Third, I'm also looking to keep myelf stocked up for 3-5 day disasters with food sources I can just drop into the BOB (Bug Out Bag) and get the heck outta Dodge if need be.

Now, are the civilian versions of the MREs actually any different than the military ones or are they just labled for only 1 year of storage because of legal reasons? I'm not sure why I care, because 1 year ought to be plenty.

Is it more practical to just buy the components seperate and make up your own packs or get the real military deals off eBay? It seems that most of you prefer the whole military packs, but it seems like that's because of your hobby... correct me if I'm wrong, please.

Thanks for your time.

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:08 pm

Hello GigaBuist, welcome to our zany land of MRE maniacs!

I don't eat them everyday, I eat them as a treat...LOL, oh to see some guy in Iraq eating them now and reading what I just said...LOL. To me they are fun and something that I just have to have. The meals are chockfull of preservatives and there is something in them that has not agreed with my body as the "green crap" can attest to when I go to the bathroom, but I still eat them regardless and as long as I am not in pain or suffering any noticeable brain damage I have no problem eating them, but this is a worse case scenario, and just my experience, to date I don't know of anyone else on the board here experiencing the same reaction but then maybe they would not want to admit it, but I being the nutty guy I am...I let it all hang out... :twisted:

I would definitely recommend you eat MREs over vending food. The thing you have to keep in mind though is that the MRE as a whole provides about 1200-1500 calories per MRE meal! So once you have eaten one you have already eaten your recommended caloric intake for the day. It honestly is hard for me to eat a whole one though and I weigh 202lbs. I usually find myself eating the main entree, the side and many times leave the crackers and peanut butter for later as well as the dessert. You will just have to keep an eye on the calories, fat and cholesterol. One turkey entree that I have recently looked at had 171mgs of cholesterol. You have already eaten over half of you recommended daily allowance of cholesterol right there, and then throw the pound cake on top of that? Just realize that MREs are intended for the active soldier in combat or on maneuvers, and they need a lot of calories to keep them fighting and going. So if you are MR. LAZY BUTT and just sit on a couch all day and do no physical activity, then I would proceed with caution as the meals really do pack a caloric punch.

As far as the civilain MREs are concerned, I would not bother. For $60 with shipping and handling you can get a case of realistic MREs off of ebay. That is the best bet for you. Kman and I discussed this early on and he was right, you get a better variety of components and meals with the real MREs as opposed to the civilian ones, and the last time I checked, which was a few days ago, the civilian MREs have gone up. They are now $60 + dollars plus shipping....that is silly.

MREs are perfect for natural disasters. They are waterproof, can withstand being tossed around and can be eaten cold right out of the pouch if need be.

Finally, as stated before it is best to buy the real Military Issued MREs in a by the case fashion. Buying seperate components will not be as fun or cost effective.

My advice, read Kman's Do's and Don's on buying MREs, go to ebay and buy yourself a case of MREs. I currently bought a case by a lady named Louisiana something that was a Buy It Now for $45 and the shipping cost me $16 for a total of $61.

I hope this helps you and I am sure Kman and the rest of the group will be following up my reply here and offering their take on your question. K man probably would have responded quicker but he is probably too busy reading those military blogs... :wink:
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

Hell Devil

Post by Hell Devil » Sat Jun 18, 2005 8:46 pm

While I usually use MREs for hiking trips, my wife and I eat them every now and then when we are too tired to cook. We even took a few on a trip to CT in order to save money by not having to eat out.

In response to Dirty Dave's comments about MREs "chockfull of preservatives", some of the components are, many aren't. For example: Yellow and Rice Pilaf - Ingredients= water, white rice, wild rice, carrots, modified food starch, peas, mushrooms, soybean oil, salt, onion powder, tumeric, and spice. Pretty straight forward compared with any number of "healthy choice" frozen dinners (which contain at least 10 unpronounceable ingredients that DO NOT sound like ingredients for a healthy meal. Remember, retort technology is one of the main reasons for the long shelf life of MREs.

Also, I've pointed out elsewhere in this forum that Wornick produces the the exact same entrees found in MREs for the commercial market. The notion that MREs are a substandard or uninviting food source is, I think, based mostly on soldiers complaining about having to eat them for extended perids (soldiers have historically complained about their rations) and because of the non-commercial packaging.[/quote]

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sun Jun 19, 2005 2:51 am

Good point Hell Devil, about my comment about "chockfull of preservatives" sometime I exagerrate a bit much, but the green crap is no exagerration! LOL! :twisted:

DangerousDave

Heck No>>>

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:10 pm

I don't eat them all the time. I may have a zany pic., but I mainly use them for week-long hunting trips. Hell, I still like Armour Vienna sausages and Red Baron Pizza's. Maybe even a Hardee's Big Roast Beef now and then. Anyone that would eat only MRE's 24-7, would be a mutant strain of a human being. Eric Rudolph comes to mind, but hey, he got tired of them also. The LE that caught him, found him dumpster-diving for food scraps behind some restaurant, or something like that. :wink:

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:26 am

I did not catch the Eric Randolph story DangerousDave, what was that all about?

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:56 am

Eric Rudolph is the guy who was responsible for the 1996 Olympic Park bombing...and also a couple of abortion clinic bombings. Once the feds got onto him, he took off for the mountains of western North Carolina and managed to evade the authorities for 5 years - until a local cop caught him digging around in a dumpster for food.

Here's a web page with some more info:

http://www.rotten.com/library/bio/crime ... c-rudolph/

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:09 pm

Thanks for the info bro... :wink:

Laxcat9

Post by Laxcat9 » Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:20 pm

Hi GigaBuist,

Welcome to the A-List!

I eat an MRE about every three or four weeks, as a treat. I also snack on individual items in between. Mostly though, I love MRE's because they remind of my youth, when I was in ROTC (eleven years ago).

I always have two extra cases on hand other than the current case I am eating from, just for preparedness' sake.

As far as dietary concerns, MRE's are designed for the high stress, high activity world of training or combat. Thus they are loaded with a bazillion calories. If you're on any kind of a diet, MRE's probably wouldn't be your best choice!

Good luck....

Tom