How Would You Improve MRE's?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Smitty

Re: How Would You Improve MRE's?

Post by Smitty » Wed May 12, 2021 10:14 am

RockyRaab wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 am
Hell, if an MRE were nothing but Doritos and a Red Bull, these kids would love it.
Haha dead right there. If the CAF banned Monster Energy Drinks and Chew, there would be rebellion. Standing at a gas station near the base near here, one can watch a lot of young CADPAT clad kids rolling out of there with cases of both in their arms.

I’ve never served, despite my best attempts, but I was a poor underslept student once and I resembled the above. Cheap booze, caffeine and nicotine. I owe my degree to them, and my liver problems haha
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

texrdnec

Post by texrdnec » Sat May 15, 2021 12:23 pm

bring back the cigarettes and add an airline bottle of liquor

voila, the perfect meal :wink:

Tedster

Improved MRE

Post by Tedster » Sat May 15, 2021 2:49 pm

Those aren't bad ideas. I can see the Nomenclature in my mind's eye. "Adult Rations, E3 and Above, Type VII, Style IV"

They go out of their way to make all kinds of specialty "humanitarian" rations, all kinds of ethnic and religious specialty meals, meals for folks who live on the left hand side of the street north of the 40th parallel, etc., how about specialty meals for normal folk who drink and smoke?

The Army used to have a daily booze ration, Lewis & Clark discussed this at length in their Journals on their expedition. A "gill" was about 4 ounces or so. Whiskey. Extra gills would be issued for especially grueling days or to revive flagging spirits, or as an individual incentive prize for winning a marksmanship contest, which were held often. Most Naval powers had a Rum ration.

I made (homemade) Chili and Cornbread today. I was reminded how the MRE version of their cornbread, while good, tastes more like a Corn Poundcake. Really sweet, ridiculously so. Maybe part of that has to do with preservative requirements, it may be an easy and inexpensive method of reducing spoilage.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Sun May 16, 2021 1:08 am

For added quick upper, add a one piece wrapped MEG energy gum, in every accessory pack. Just one chew. Should not be any more difficult than the cheapo sugar chicklet packs that have 2 pieces in pack, and flavor that lasts about 9 seconds. By the time I don my protective mask. :roll: (the thing about MEG gum, it does what it claims, and flavor last a couple minutes). Try it.
After the Chicken and the Egg, came the "Omelet"!