How Would You Improve MRE's?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Tedster

How Would You Improve MRE's?

Post by Tedster » Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:33 pm

For my part I think DOD does really, really well with them, considering the cost restraints and operational requirements.

But the fat/carb/protein mix in each meal is way out, I think. The main entree is only eight (8) ounces - roughly half of a typical serving of a can of stew at the supermarket. They've just always seen really light to me. "Well that was pretty tasty, but ... when do we eat? Is this a sample?"

Now with a 1200 kcal per meal requirement they tend to load up on carbs - either starches, or candy. "Pogue Bait" as we called it. I suppose that costs DOD less than protein rich or fat laden menus. And carbs are good for extreme exertion. I wish however they made a ration with say a 24 ounce entree, something substantial and some saltine or tortilla maybe double the ration there, and peanut butter, and maybe some of the usual treats.

They could cut WAY back on some of those cute little sugar nothings they run in some of these menus. The reason I say this, there is a tendency to be "hungry" when the body isn't actually hungry, it's just jonesing for more carbs, more glucose, due to blood sugar spikes and crashes. It's easy to tear through a couple or three of these meals "ratfvcćking" all the pogue bait and junk out of them, for exactly this reason.

housil

Re: How Would You Improve MRE's?

Post by housil » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:57 am

Tedster wrote:
Thu Apr 15, 2021 9:33 pm
I suppose that costs DOD less than protein rich or fat laden menus.
As more fat as faster the rations spoils. Fat gets rancid. Proteins don´t give you "power" (ATP), you need either fat or carbs for this.

3 MREs a day are ~ 3.600kcal with a nice balance of nutrition. To me it´s enough kcal for a day but we all know about "ration stripping"...

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:02 am

I can agree on the too sweet front. I’m just not a fan of overly sweet things. I’d welcome the inclusion of more fatty foods, as available in many Eastern European and Russian rations. Even a supplemental with a reduced BBD would likely go a long way to feeling more satiated.

After eating western rations for a time, they almost feel hollow for me. I’d probably welcome a jar of bacon grease at those times haha
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Fri Apr 16, 2021 2:27 pm

housil wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:57 am

As more fat as faster the rations spoils. Fat gets rancid.

This is true, although it depends a great deal on the type of fat. Rations are no slouches when it comes to fats. Freeze Dried entrees on the other hand, are very much stripped of fats. They "wash" the food prior, as fats tend to interfere with vacuum sublimation. In any case a 24 ounce entree won't spoil any faster than a 24 ounce entree.
Proteins don´t give you "power" (ATP), you need either fat or carbs for this.

True enough, but - while military doctrine states MRE's are strictly for "temporary" use, anybody who has served and been deployed knows that "temporary" can last a long, long time. Lack of protein can become debilitating to people expending lots of calories too.
3 MREs a day are ~ 3.600kcal with a nice balance of nutrition.

Well, no I disagree with this, that's my point, it's a terrible balance of nutrition!

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:23 am

Nobody? Buehler??

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:40 pm

First, go back to 1.5 oz for cheese and PB packs. Get rid of those stupid commercial candy packs(twizzlers, red-hots, stale-ass skittles), replace the sorry-ass first-strike bars with something better, like a 'BuiltBar' or something that can handle heat. The desert bars from FSR's are 10 times better than first strike bars. Coffee in every meal. If you don't like coffee, there is 3 soldiers beside you, who do. Trade.
After the Chicken and the Egg, came the "Omelet"!

Tedster

Improved MRE's?

Post by Tedster » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 pm

Interesting perspective, kind of mirrors my own. The coffee ration has declined considerable over the years. Type II or whatever it was, had its detractors, but I will say at least it had a bit of a kick. I (sort of) like the "First Strike" bars from a vitamin & mineral standpoint. Those are extruded tar like devices, right? Good stuff! lol.

I'm not persuaded "sugar free" anything belongs in a survival ration, particularly. The older Cherry beverage powder (and other flavors) were quite good. The modern issue variants don't even dissolve without considerable effort. And the cocoa beverage is a sad imitation. I'm not picky, it's understandable they aren't going to source the high dollar Ghardelli stuff. It would also be nice if they used actual stew meat instead of floor scraps. The beef stew used to be tasty stuff.

blue87fj60

Re: Improved MRE's?

Post by blue87fj60 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:40 am

Tedster wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:53 pm
Interesting perspective, kind of mirrors my own. The coffee ration has declined considerable over the years. Type II or whatever it was, had its detractors, but I will say at least it had a bit of a kick. I (sort of) like the "First Strike" bars from a vitamin & mineral standpoint. Those are extruded tar like devices, right? Good stuff! lol.

I'm not persuaded "sugar free" anything belongs in a survival ration, particularly. The older Cherry beverage powder (and other flavors) were quite good. The modern issue variants don't even dissolve without considerable effort. And the cocoa beverage is a sad imitation. I'm not picky, it's understandable they aren't going to source the high dollar Ghardelli stuff. It would also be nice if they used actual stew meat instead of floor scraps. The beef stew used to be tasty stuff.
I hear ya.
I gotta say I recently ate a Southwest Beef and Black Bean meal. It was slam full of tasty chunks of meat. I was pleasantly surprised. I’m not sure if I ever even had that menu before and I probably avoided it because of the name lol.
Not any more.😂

MrFahrenheit
eBay name: Nomad2k3

Post by MrFahrenheit » Fri May 07, 2021 10:00 am

Just up the cheese spreads back to 1.5oz and ill be happy :lol:
I came, I saw, I ate some rations then fell asleep amongst the clover.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 am

In some respects, it's a generational thing. I'm only a bit away from being an official fossil, but my generation was and is based on meat and potatoes. Today's little schitz seem to eat nothing but junk food. So maybe that's why rations meant for today's generation contain a bunch of junk food - because that's what the kid soldiers want. Or that's all they'll eat, which amounts to the same thing. Hell, if an MRE were nothing but Doritos and a Red Bull, these kids would love it.

Tiny entrees and tons of sugary snack foods. That's an MRE. In my book, it's not a diet. It's hardly even food. (And as pointed out above, it's often not a "temporary" thing, either.)
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.