super rare bail out ration on ebay today

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
texrdnec

super rare bail out ration on ebay today

Post by texrdnec » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:48 pm

if you bought it, you just got hosed

don't feel bad, it looked legit at first glance and i got excited and bought it before you did

but then i got to looking and no, doesn't pass the smell test

white wax, wrong font for cracker jack, misspelled "bouillon", lots of tells when you stop to really examine it

i contacted the seller, told them of all my concerns and said that if they still wanted to ship i'd open it up and compare contents to known examples. without comment they canceled my order and relisted the item with zero changes. it immediately sold again to some poor bastard that thought they scored BIG

if that's you, or somebody you know, tell that peckerwood to kick sand and get your money back

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-Emergency ... 4728272838

Jim_M1988
eBay name: Jim_M1988

Re: super rare bail out ration on ebay today

Post by Jim_M1988 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:15 am

Crafty bugger. Top job on trying to help anyone else who fell into the same trap though :D

texrdnec

Post by texrdnec » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:42 pm

this same prick has been selling "authentic" b unit contents with the backstory that kids opened them to shoot the cans and left the pristine contents laying

he had the same listing on etsy for $11 as re-enactment crap

so if you've bought ANYTHING from "surplusking83," it's suspect

buyer beware

Westview
eBay name: robichj

Post by Westview » Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 pm

Someone bought it for $9.99 :roll:

texrdnec

Post by texrdnec » Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:09 am

Westview wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 pm
No, 9.99 was the starting bid or you could make an offer

When I bought it for $375 the sold listing still came up as 9.99

Hope you don’t do any permanent damage to your eyes being clueless like that...

Westview
eBay name: robichj

Post by Westview » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:08 am

texrdnec wrote:
Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:09 am
Westview wrote:
Mon Apr 12, 2021 7:21 pm
No, 9.99 was the starting bid or you could make an offer

When I bought it for $375 the sold listing still came up as 9.99

Hope you don’t do any permanent damage to your eyes being clueless like that...
Hey, no reason for insults. The listing says "Bidding has ended on this item. Winning bid: $9.99"

texrdnec

Post by texrdnec » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:35 am

Like I said, it was an auction style with a start of 9.99 and the opportunity to make an offer

9.99 is not the actual price that it sold for unless the guy went from wanting $390 to $9.99 in less than 24hrs

Just trying to give everyone a heads-up. It has already led to somebody getting an $80+ return on his fictional b unit contents he had on Etsy for $11...

ChowLine

Post by ChowLine » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:41 am

I'm so glad someone started a conversation about that yahoo selling "authentic" WWII C and K ration items. He first tried selling the "prototype" boxes the K ration was pictured in, with the tops cut off and Breakfast written in sharpie. Absolutely no way to authenticate it, and he claimed it was the one in that iconic photo. Then he started listed "partial" B unit contents!! Clearly made from paper and poorly baked "biscuits" in some persons kitchen with some strange looking sugar candies that looked like they were in perfect condition (spoiler, they rarely are).The genius of how he sold the authenticity of these rations was with the inclusion of some original items. The Soluble Coffee tins in the B unit auctions were original. Right now he has two "WWII P-28 can openers" still in the wrapper up for sale. One is an original, the other is clearly a repro. Also, the "ageing" on that Breakfast K ration was well done and almost looked authentic. Then we have the Bail-Out ration which sure does look the part and likely is an old reproduction as well.

So, here is my theory, this guy is selling off a bunch of old reproduction items he has had sitting around a long time. They all had genuine age to them, I would say about 10ish years, which made it hard for less experienced collectors to tell apart from an original.

This guy is why ANY reputable repro person will mark their reproductions as such. For example, I have started putting CL Repro on my stuff in non-conspicuous areas. Especially since I found someone was using some WWI hard Bread Stuff I made for their own purposes.