MRE's Seized in Louisville , KY

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Re: MRE's Seized in Louisville , KY

Post by mikeoverhere » Thu Mar 25, 2021 4:48 pm

It is unfortunate your MRE's were seized, that being a risk we all face including me. Not only did I have rations seized by customs, I had a case opened against me and an agent physically meet with me to confiscate three more expensive rations that followed. All rations were purchased from eBay from foreign vendors. Feel fortunate you did not get a letter stating USDA opened a case against you and threatened you with prosecution. I can no longer import rations without fear of prosecution, not that I really think they would spend the money to prosecute me for a few MRE's, but then again, this is the government and I am not taking the chance. I limit myself to only ordering foreign rations with meat from vendors in the US. Some rations also get imported and sold on Amazon. Beware MRE Mountain who despite a US address and warnings of increased shipping if from outside the US, ships from Europe. The better foreign vendors tell you right up front that the shipment could be confiscated without compensation from the vendor, and that the risk is on the customer.

Foreign MRE's can be legally imported with the proper documentation on the shipment, import license, and inspection of the manufacturing by a USDA inspector, but not if they contain meat or whatever meat and plants imports that are barred from that specific country. Often this means only MRE's that are vegetarian or contain fish can come in. You would think American source meat manufactured products are inspected and should be importable without a hassle. Nope.

After reading all the regs, rules, and talking with USDA it seems to all come down to this: The regs apply only to commercial shipments, but they consider all imported MRE's commercial whether they are for private purchase and consumption or not. It doesn't even say all shipments are considered commercial in the text, only the agents tell me that.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"