Why’d they ruin the cheese spread (1.5oz to 1oz)

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Kdal Tex

Why’d they ruin the cheese spread (1.5oz to 1oz)

Post by Kdal Tex » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:48 am

I’ve been looking for a thread about this and can’t find anything about it. Why did they reduce the cheese spread from 1.5oz to 1oz? They have a new manufacturer too and it’s a bit stiffer than the old spread. The jalapeño spread isn’t as spicy as the old one either.

Anyone else bummed by this?

cavguy

Re: Why’d they ruin the cheese spread (1.5oz to 1oz)

Post by cavguy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:28 pm

Agreed, I had these in the new FSR's and I must say, I am disappointed!

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:33 pm

The reason is that - despite lip service to the contrary - taste and soldier satisfaction have little to no priority in NATICK's menu/food selection. Their only goals are the carb/protein ratio and calorie count. Period.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:58 pm

and economy
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:59 am

Even prior to the portion reduction I noticed a decline in the product. "Fresh" is not a word generally used along with MRE but if you've eaten rations that were just issued into the system, they had been held since manufacture under carefully prescribed storage conditions.

MRE cheese couldn't be considered high cuisine, but I liked it (for what it was). Lots of vitamins too. When "fresh" it had a smooth creaminess, maybe due to butterfat, I dunno. Whatever the secret recipe mojo was, it was damn good. There's a reason the MRE cheese spread was considered an alternate form of currency in the field :)

They have to try to keep costs down, and cheapening the product itself, and reducing the portion size is exactly the same thing that happens in the grocery store.