What is a chocolate filled pound cake?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Kdal Tex

What is a chocolate filled pound cake?

Post by Kdal Tex » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 am

I saw chocolate filled pound cake listed as an MRE menu improvement for 2013 but so far I’ve found no mentions of it. Does it exist? Is it the Reagan cookie of our generation? Granted to us by the MRE God on high only to be ripped away like coffee instant type two and 1.5oz cheese spreads (seriously why the 1oz crap? Also old JCS was way better than the new one).
429A6D52-B666-4F4C-AA42-7E7F90347196.png
Chocolate filled pound cake

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: What is a chocolate filled pound cake?

Post by Amelieee1 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:02 pm

Kdal Tex wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:28 am
I saw chocolate filled pound cake listed as an MRE menu improvement for 2013 but so far I’ve found no mentions of it. Does it exist? Is it the Reagan cookie of our generation? Granted to us by the MRE God on high only to be ripped away like coffee instant type two and 1.5oz cheese spreads (seriously why the 1oz crap? Also old JCS was way better than the new one).429A6D52-B666-4F4C-AA42-7E7F90347196.png
I think the chocolate filled is from the oatmeal chunk cookie as the chunks are chocolate
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Kdal Tex

Post by Kdal Tex » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:02 pm

koreyyy1 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:02 pm
Kdal Tex wrote:
I saw chocolate filled pound cake listed as an MRE menu improvement for 2013 but so far I’ve found no mentions of it. Does it exist? Is it the Reagan cookie of our generation? Granted to us by the MRE God on high only to be ripped away like coffee instant type two and 1.5oz cheese spreads (seriously why the 1oz crap? Also old JCS was way better than the new one).429A6D52-B666-4F4C-AA42-7E7F90347196.png
I think the chocolate filled is from the oatmeal chunk cookie as the chunks are chocolate
But each new item is capitalized and its spelled “Chocolate-filled pound cake” meaning that it is a separate menu item and not a continuation of the oatmeal cookie with chocolate chunks.

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:26 pm

Kdal Tex wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 2:02 pm
koreyyy1 wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:02 pm
Kdal Tex wrote:
But each new item is capitalized and its spelled “Chocolate-filled pound cake” meaning that it is a separate menu item and not a continuation of the oatmeal cookie with chocolate chunks.
it might just be a typo? I've never heard of anything filled apart from cinnamon buns and Bridgford sandwiches.
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:38 pm

I have never heard of a “Chocolate-filled pound cake”

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:57 pm

According to ACR-M-033, there is a "Filled Cakes, Chocolate Pound with Chocolate Filling" however, it is not a part of any of the menus for 2013. There is a Filled Bakery Item in Menu 23, but that one is referenced later as being the Cinnamon Bun and Apple Turnovers.

https://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documen ... e/m033.pdf

Diving further into it...according to PCR-C-007E (Performance Based Contract Requirements), the Type IV "Filled Cakes" Flavor I " Chocolate Pound with Chocolate Filling is: "The chocolate filled pound cake with chocolate filling shall have a dark brown surface and crumb. The chocolate filling shall be a dark brown color. The pound cake shall not have any filling leaking through the cake portion of the product." and "The chocolate pound cake shall have a sweet, mild chocolate odor and flavor. The chocolate filling shall have a sweet, mild chocolate odor and flavor." "The chocolate pound cake with chocolate filling shall have a dense, firm, tender, moist, fine grain crumb texture with a thick, smooth pudding-like filling. The filling shall not be excessively thin or runny. The percent filling by weight shall be not less than 20.0 percent"

The US has a lot of available documentation, and even has recipes available to make certain items, should you so wish. Untapped resources abound.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Kdal Tex

Post by Kdal Tex » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:34 am

Smitty wrote:
Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:57 pm
According to ACR-M-033, there is a "Filled Cakes, Chocolate Pound with Chocolate Filling" however, it is not a part of any of the menus for 2013. There is a Filled Bakery Item in Menu 23, but that one is referenced later as being the Cinnamon Bun and Apple Turnovers.

https://www.dla.mil/Portals/104/Documen ... e/m033.pdf

Diving further into it...according to PCR-C-007E (Performance Based Contract Requirements), the Type IV "Filled Cakes" Flavor I " Chocolate Pound with Chocolate Filling is: "The chocolate filled pound cake with chocolate filling shall have a dark brown surface and crumb. The chocolate filling shall be a dark brown color. The pound cake shall not have any filling leaking through the cake portion of the product." and "The chocolate pound cake shall have a sweet, mild chocolate odor and flavor. The chocolate filling shall have a sweet, mild chocolate odor and flavor." "The chocolate pound cake with chocolate filling shall have a dense, firm, tender, moist, fine grain crumb texture with a thick, smooth pudding-like filling. The filling shall not be excessively thin or runny. The percent filling by weight shall be not less than 20.0 percent"

The US has a lot of available documentation, and even has recipes available to make certain items, should you so wish. Untapped resources abound.
Thanks smitty! Makes you wonder why they never implemented it. Wouldve been a great morale boost.