What Happened To MRE Bread?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Tedster

What Happened To MRE Bread?

Post by Tedster » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 am

Anybody remember that? This would have been about 1998 or 1999 for those in the military. Now to be clear I'm not referring to the execrable barely edible "Wheat Snack Bread". In fact, when "Wheat Snack Bread" appeared in lieu of saltines, that's what I thought it was. Boy, was I in for a rude surprise. The good thing, I have a couple hundred of them around for emergencies. They are so bad, they don't get eaten except in dire need. They keep well, so there's something to be said about that.

We were deployed somewhere for training and for lunch we all lined up to "brown bag it" or, "tan" bag it I suppose, or maybe it was Hot "A" rations, can't remember. Anyway there was another box full of what looked like a standard brown accessory packet. That's what I thought it was, which didn't make any sense but OK, whatever. Turns out it was bread. Real bread. Sort of like those cute little "Wonder Bread" loaves at county fairs years ago. I remember thinking "Finally, somebody figured it out." It wasn't gourmet but perfectly serviceable for making a PB sandwich, which is probably what I did. That was the first, and only, time I ever saw such a thing. Anybody know?

housil

Re: What Happened To MRE Bread?

Post by housil » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:35 am

These ones?
Bread3.jpg
Bread5.jpg
Bread6.jpg

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:56 pm

Yes!! Those are them. Thanks for confirming I wasn't dreaming. I sure wish they would have included those instead of the snack "bread".

Are they discontinued? Still in production?

housil

Post by housil » Thu Jan 21, 2021 5:17 pm

Tedster wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 12:56 pm
Are they discontinued? Still in production?
No idea.
I have only that case, holding four bags of that brown "bread shelf stable".
I tried it once, it´s very different to the WSB.

Travelowl

Post by Travelowl » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:33 pm

My experience is nearly identical to that of Tedster.

B Co. 1/181 Infantry, MA Army National Guard, we had in-state AT (!!!) in summer of 1998 at Camp Edwards. We arrived just in time for dinner at the mess hall, which was to be our last luxury for a while. At the end of the chow line by the drink dispensers there were two boxes, oranges and the above brown bread packets to grab. I got one of each. All I remember is that the bread was decent if slightly dry. Never saw it before or since.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:53 pm

I tried that bread shelf stable in the brown package in the 90's and thought it tasted like cardboard.... I never had any while in the Army though.

kration

Post by kration » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:15 pm

Last edited by kration on Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 pm

cavguy wrote:
Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:53 pm
I tried that bread shelf stable in the brown package in the 90's and thought it tasted like (damp) cardboard....

That seems more like a description of the "Wheat Snack Bread", the shelf stable bread wouldn't win any awards, but it wasn't particlarly bad as I recall. It is certainly identifiable as a bread like substance, at least.

I've been meaning to experiment with the "Wheat Snack Bread", I'd expect drying it in a slow oven for several hours would result in a product almost indistinguishable from Civil War era hardtack, and last about as long. The more things change ...

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:22 pm

I always liked the Sterling Foods wheat snack bread, I mean it was ok for what it was. The Pangea Foods one sucked though.. But definitely the Bread Shelf Stable I tried a few times I clearly remember being bad, maybe it was just stored improperly though.

MrFahrenheit
eBay name: Nomad2k3

Post by MrFahrenheit » Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:56 pm

I did like the double wheat snack breads circa 2008-9?.

They were 2 thinner slices of WSB that went great with the beef patty. :D
I came, I saw, I ate some rations then fell asleep amongst the clover.