experimental first version natick labs mre raton

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: experimental first version natick labs mre raton

Post by Amelieee1 » Sun May 23, 2021 12:39 pm

Militaryration_guy wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 9:11 am
Ya know, I've been giving some thought to reproducing these early prototype MRE rations (just packaging) and maybe putting modern MRE components in them that are close to the original contents. However its finding measurements of the main box and inner packages that has prevented me from doing it as I cant seem to find those dimensions anywhere. Sure would make for an interesting replica, and certainly fill a gap in my own collection that I might not ever fill since I pretty much stop at the MCI era, with 46-57 being my FAVORITE period, and don't do much with MRE's.
Aw come on if you're going to reproduce the packing then why not reproduce the pouches and the food in them too.
[/quote]

I think reproducing a card box is a bit easier then say... Setting up your own home thermostabilization plant and then packing the food in retorts
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

Militaryration_guy

Post by Militaryration_guy » Sun May 23, 2021 5:08 pm

koreyyy1 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:39 pm
Ya know, I've been giving some thought to reproducing these early prototype MRE rations (just packaging) and maybe putting modern MRE components in them that are close to the original contents. However its finding measurements of the main box and inner packages that has prevented me from doing it as I cant seem to find those dimensions anywhere. Sure would make for an interesting replica, and certainly fill a gap in my own collection that I might not ever fill since I pretty much stop at the MCI era, with 46-57 being my FAVORITE period, and don't do much with MRE's.
Aw come on if you're going to reproduce the packing then why not reproduce the pouches and the food in them too.
I think reproducing a card box is a bit easier then say... Setting up your own home thermostabilization plant and then packing the food in retorts
[/quote]
They sell retort pouches online and then all you have to do is make the recipe and then seal the pouch and put them in a canner.
A random hillbilly guy intrested in in military rations from across the world :arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow: :!: :?:

Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Sun May 23, 2021 7:22 pm

Sun May 23, 2021 5:08 pm
koreyyy1 wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:39 pm
They sell retort pouches online and then all you have to do is make the recipe and then seal the pouch and put them in a canner.
[/quote]

If you wanna fill it with say plain uncooked rice, feel free. Thats what they did for example retorts. You cannot retort at home.

The enviroment needs to be sterile
everything needs to be sterile
needs to be sealed
thermostabilized (I think 300f?)
sometimes even irradiated.

You try that at home. Ontop of perfecting recipes and getting so many obscure ingredients
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

ChowLine

Post by ChowLine » Sun May 30, 2021 4:32 pm

I should look for those retort pouches! Would be great to make some display examples filled with dry rice for use in exhibits. Where can those be found?

Amelieee1

Post by Amelieee1 » Sun May 30, 2021 5:23 pm

ChowLine wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 4:32 pm
I should look for those retort pouches! Would be great to make some display examples filled with dry rice for use in exhibits. Where can those be found?
I think they were just used to demonstrate MREs at an expo as a concept for natick. Havent ever seen any in the wild. Gonna take a lil safari to find

ChowLine

Post by ChowLine » Sun May 30, 2021 5:27 pm

I should say that I am interested in nabbing empty new production retort pouches, and then I will put filler in them such as dry rice. As I am certain no original prototype examples of faux filled pouches really exist outside complete display MRE components made for the military anymore lol.

steve1989
eBay name: -

Post by steve1989 » Sun May 30, 2021 11:29 pm

I have 5 prototype pouches filled with rice. Beans in tomato sauce and the nutcakes in that picture.
Gonna give you a call soon.