Civil Defense Survival Rations

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Teddydogno1

Civil Defense Survival Rations

Post by Teddydogno1 » Sat Oct 17, 2020 8:17 pm

In the 1960s, apparently "we" were expected to "Drop and Cover", then eat some crackers, biscuits or carbohydrate supplements.

I hit a couple of surplus stores today hoping to find some rations. Most were a bust except for a few standard MREs, but one place said he had some real old stuff in the back they haven't decided what to do with yet.

What they did have to sell today was this...

Brought it home for $40. The case is sealed and contains 2 14-lb cans of Survival Biscuits by the Educator Biscuit Company. Packed November 12, 1963 (just days before the Kennedy assassination). That's a good 57 years ago (and 7 years before I was born!).

I did some reading at http://www.civildefensemuseum.com/cdmus ... /food.html and while there is a lot of info about these supplies in general, I did not see mention of this particular packaging or company.

Oh...the other items that they are not yet ready to sell are 1960s and 70s "C rations". He said they have boxes of them. They're making a display and when they are done, they'll be selling the duplicates and extras. But he didn't say when and that I would just need to check back.

Rob

cavguy

Re: Civil Defense Survival Rations

Post by cavguy » Sat Oct 17, 2020 11:50 pm

There used to be some some pretty good surplus store just outside of JBLM in Lakewood area. I know two of them had so much stuff I have no idea how they knew what they had hidden in there. I even remember finding det-cord once!

Sugarcane

Post by Sugarcane » Sun Oct 18, 2020 8:13 am

Good find! In my experience, the crackers are usually still pretty good! And that's a great price. Usually it is the shipping on eBay that kills these purchases for me.

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 3:51 pm

My photograph (click on photo to enlarge) of a survival drum matches the symbol on your box here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1637&p=13051&hilit=drum#p13017

More details in the above link.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:38 pm

Not sure about those bisquits being any good, seems to me I recall it was a bit of a scandal at the time. There was a decided rush to procure these and numerous other items and distribute them, due to the Cuban Missile Crisis with the Soviets and other Cold War tensions. Many different firms got contracts, and some had better experience than others. Many were said to be practically inedible from the start, most likely problems with rancidity. If they are known to be OK, that would be a good way to store some calories, but at this late date... Couldn't give them away for a long time. There are still yet a few forgotten rooms full of them moldering in municipal fallout shelters somewhere I'm sure.

I remember the old school Army Surplus stores would usually have one of those cans open at the foot of the register full of those red and yellow hard candies. Those weren't too bad, as far as industrial sweets go.

Teddydogno1

Post by Teddydogno1 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:27 pm

I certainly didn't buy them to add to my survival stores!

I don't really know what I'm going to do with them. The sealed, full carton is pretty heavy and bulky and I'm not running a museum. Do I just keep the carton nice? Open one can to test? Sell one can? I just don't know.

What I DO know is that my wife and daughter are giving me a lot of crap about "those 57 year old stale crackers." My wife posted a picture and "WTF" post on Facebook and friends and family have been giving me grief over it. :lol:

Rob

blue87fj60

Post by blue87fj60 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:39 am

Teddydogno1 wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:27 pm
I certainly didn't buy them to add to my survival stores!

I don't really know what I'm going to do with them. The sealed, full carton is pretty heavy and bulky and I'm not running a museum. Do I just keep the carton nice? Open one can to test? Sell one can? I just don't know.

What I DO know is that my wife and daughter are giving me a lot of crap about "those 57 year old stale crackers." My wife posted a picture and "WTF" post on Facebook and friends and family have been giving me grief over it. :lol:

Rob
😂
But they just don’t understand lol