modern mess hall cookbook?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Eddo36

modern mess hall cookbook?

Post by Eddo36 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:25 am

Hi, was wondering if there are public recipes available for the food served in military cafeterias today.

cavguy

Re: modern mess hall cookbook?

Post by cavguy » Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:47 am

Thats a tough one, I haven't seen a dining facility cookbook before (but I wasn't a cook..) - I mean when I was active duty the food in the CONUS dining facilities was pretty much like a buffet type - pass through a line and pick from a few things (meat,vegetable, etc.). Or you could get short order (omelets in the morning, sandwiches, burgers in the afternoon, etc). Holidays of course they served holiday type food. There was always ice cream and other deserts available as well.

OCONUS (war zone) was different, many of the bigger DFAC's had it all, normal buffet line, short order, carving station (roast beef, chicken, etc.), sandwich station, salad station. Fridays were steak and shrimp, or lobster!

All of these DFAC's were run by civilian contractors, you can probably Google and come up with some exact menus as to what is served. The only military personnel that were present were usually a few NCO's there to supervise. Except on holidays, when you might get a brigade commander who is serving up dinner.

Rms2324

Post by Rms2324 » Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:33 am

cavguy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:47 am
Thats a tough one, I haven't seen a dining facility cookbook before (but I wasn't a cook..) - I mean when I was active duty the food in the CONUS dining facilities was pretty much like a buffet type - pass through a line and pick from a few things (meat,vegetable, etc.). Or you could get short order (omelets in the morning, sandwiches, burgers in the afternoon, etc). Holidays of course they served holiday type food. There was always ice cream and other deserts available as well.

OCONUS (war zone) was different, many of the bigger DFAC's had it all, normal buffet line, short order, carving station (roast beef, chicken, etc.), sandwich station, salad station. Fridays were steak and shrimp, or lobster!

All of these DFAC's were run by civilian contractors, you can probably Google and come up with some exact menus as to what is served. The only military personnel that were present were usually a few NCO's there to supervise. Except on holidays, when you might get a brigade commander who is serving up dinner.
Hey cavguy, quick question! So what you’re saying is when not on deployment/OCONUS, the food is good enough to get by with a decent variety but nothing special but while on deployment, they hook it up with all the great food and a bunch of variety.

I’m assuming it’s for morale, you don’t want to give you soldiers shitty food especially when they’re fighting, etc.
Always looking for international ration sellers in the USA!

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Mon Aug 24, 2020 9:50 am

Rms2324 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 11:33 am
Hey cavguy, quick question! So what you’re saying is when not on deployment/OCONUS, the food is good enough to get by with a decent variety but nothing special but while on deployment, they hook it up with all the great food and a bunch of variety.

I’m assuming it’s for morale, you don’t want to give you soldiers shitty food especially when they’re fighting, etc.
I wasn't ever OCONUS - except on a deployment to a combat zone. I would imagine the food at bases in for example, Europe, is pretty much the same as I stated for CONUS. But cant speak to that first hand. But, when deployed to a combat zone on the bigger FOB's, yes, they do hook up the DFAC's.

Note: Soldiers on the smaller combat outposts, they eat UGR's... So it really depends where you are located.

Eddo36

Post by Eddo36 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:34 am

cavguy wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 10:47 am

Thank you, do you know if those served at OCONUS are loaded with calories like MREs are? Or are they normal?

housil

Post by housil » Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:53 am

Eddo36 wrote:
Sun Aug 23, 2020 9:25 am
Hi, was wondering if there are public recipes available for the food served in military cafeterias today.
There is what is called the ARMED FORCES RECIPE SERVICE . When cooking A Rations, you can look here the recipes up.

Eddo36

Post by Eddo36 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:54 am

housil wrote:
Tue Aug 25, 2020 4:53 am
Eddo36 wrote:
There is what is called the ARMED FORCES RECIPE SERVICE . When cooking A Rations, you can look here the recipes up.
Very nice thanks

rations_qa

Post by rations_qa » Thu Jan 07, 2021 10:12 am

Eddo36 wrote:
Dining facilities are making efforts to create more healthy menus and recipes with their Go for Green program.

Current recipes https://www.hprc-online.org/nutrition/g ... ed/recipes

Current OpRats nutritional info https://www.hprc-online.org/nutrition/comrad#1