Food Packet Cold Weather

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Re: Food Packet Cold Weather

Post by jfko6 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:03 pm

Norge has been a member since the beginning of the forums. Therefore, his contribution has weight and value. It is also consistent with other community member contributions.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sun Jun 21, 2020 2:56 pm

Indeed
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

blue87fj60

Post by blue87fj60 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 4:11 pm

norge wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:04 am
in my collection i do have a food packet cold weather :D

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

my rcw and mcw are al the types that was issued :D

as far as i have found out these was a trail run for the change over for the mcw anf food packet long range, it was supose to be a tan one for lrp and white for mcw

cheers ken
That’s a wicked collection of white baggers there norge. 😎

jfko6

Re: Food Packet Cold Weather - Ameriqual

Post by jfko6 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:06 pm

An inquiry has been submitted to ascertain the production of Ameriqual’s “Food Packet: Cold Weather” it’s variants, if there are any, and it’s actual production use. And any descriptors that pertain to it — its genesis.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

norge

Post by norge » Tue Jun 23, 2020 3:14 am

and here i got info: start of the meal cold weather and the strange food packet cold weather.

https://www.stripes.com/news/new-cold-w ... ns-1.45089
MRE-BG05-0659.jpg
checked with a few USMC friends of mine that are regular in Norway and they confirm the use of the food packet cold weather in 2005 for testing during exercise Battle Griffin 2005 in Norway.
the picture is taken from the joint forces.com site. i do have pictures from this exersice but are on a crashed PC.... :( from a USMC friend.
most of the 2004 produce run was placed in the caves in norway for the USMC. also checked with friends in the caves in Norway and they can confirm the food packet cold weather usage for a limited time. sorry no pictures from cave storage..not alowed.

hope this clears it a bit up :D

cheers ken

Oldsmokey

Post by Oldsmokey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:27 am

jfko6 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:15 pm
I think maybe I’ll give Natick a call myself. I’ve got a little clout with the Army. I don’t believe this is nothing more than a simple matter. And the reason I brought forth Norge’s image as he is the author.

I would disagree if there appears to be any difference between them based on the info already provided. Ironically, I viewed your MCW vid., and this shouldn’t be a “split hairs” analysis. Name changes occur.

Yes name changes occur but in this case the food packet could weather seems to have either spent very, very little time in use or no time in use idk. They made the lengthy decision to officially introduce this ration and produce this ration. Which trust me is no small feat judging from the folks I've spoken with from both Natick and Ameriqual. This ration has very little to no documentation that the folks at either place could dig up which I also find strange. One thing I can say for certain is that they are military.

My thoughts are with this post were.. if anyone had hands on experience with these when they were released or maybe if someone happens to have some obscure records that involve the fpcw. So if anyone happens to have something documentation wise or hands on wise I'd love to hear about that.
Last edited by Oldsmokey on Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Oldsmokey

Post by Oldsmokey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:40 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 12:14 am
jfko6 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:15 pm
Smitty wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 9:20 pm

What does my modern MCW video have to do with this or splitting hairs?
Smitty, notice the comma in my sentence and the turn of phrase. Plus the transition to the next sentence.

Be reasonable. A simple phone call might solve the question. And this also applies to your response to cavguy.
OP suggested in his post that he wasn't able to get much information from Natick. Are you able to pull some strings to get some information from them?

OP, out of curiosity, are you looking for any specific information about the ration? A quick search returned this comment from reddit, however they don't point to a source:

It seems like a reasonable bet to me.

Hey thanks for all the help guys btw. As far as the redit response since i've spoken with Ameriqual the redit post doesn't seem to be correct. The big thing here is the mcw was already in the works and named mcw in 98 and didn't see production until years later but they knew it was meal cold weather. So still the reason for the food packet could weather stumps me. I know the government made up a procurement obviously or they'd never have been produced. Theres a story here for sure I just want to make sure to tell it correctly and also just to get the info out of its hiding place would be awesome.

Oldsmokey

Post by Oldsmokey » Thu Jun 25, 2020 4:43 am

norge wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 3:04 am
in my collection i do have a food packet cold weather :D

008.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

my rcw and mcw are al the types that was issued :D

as far as i have found out these was a trail run for the change over for the mcw anf food packet long range, it was supose to be a tan one for lrp and white for mcw

cheers ken
Norge I love the way your collection is displayed. I need a Cinpack example of rcw to complete my run. I have the other 3. I had half a cinpack one time but gave it away. Thanks for helping on the post.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:28 pm

An answer should be forthcoming soon. Whatever it is to be. My inquiry was acknowledged.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:05 pm

I received a response to my inquiry from Ameriqual. I did not receive a definitive answer as to why a name change occurred from “Food Packet: Cold Weather” to “Meals Cold Weather” in 2004. More investigation is necessary, but what I did ascertain was, as far as their meals are concerned, is that they don’t produce “test runs” as there’s nothing for them to test. They deliver a service in the form of meals. They don’t determine the meals contents. It’s not their role to design meals, they say. [expanded interpretation].

It seems as though they could have provided a little more information. And am not confident more research will yield much more information. Was there an error in the description of the meals? One thing is for certain, it wasn’t a “test run”.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country