Food Packet Cold Weather

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Oldsmokey

Food Packet Cold Weather

Post by Oldsmokey » Sat Jun 20, 2020 5:25 pm

Food Packet Cold Weather?

I'm making this post because I've exhausted every avenue at my disposal. I've talked with both Natick and Ameriqual about the ration at this point. If anyone has any real solid information on the fpcw I'd love to hear it. I'm sure not only me but everyone else here would enjoy finding out some more about it.

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: Food Packet Cold Weather

Post by Amelieee1 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 6:11 pm

Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:34 pm

Examine this photo. You might have an avenue to explore.

download/file.php?id=27285&mode=view
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:37 pm

jfko6 wrote:
Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:34 pm
Examine this photo. You might have an avenue to explore
Ok I’ll bite. I see no “Food Packet cold Weather” in there and I don’t understand how this photo helps. Can you elaborate?
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:44 pm

Maybe it’s the name change that’s confusing. If so, that would be a minor nuance. I see Arctic rations there.

Maybe you know something I don’t know.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sat Jun 20, 2020 7:54 pm

I never admit to knowing more or less than anyone, as that’s a fruitless exercise.

All I could find about the Food Packet Cold Weather is that they date from a time after the Meal Cold Weather came about.

So not speaking for Oldsmokey, but I think the question is: Is this a mistake, is it a transitional ration, etc. I couldn’t find much, and I know Readiness Reviews was also looking into it and found little as well.

Curious that Natick couldn’t answer it, however if it’s anything like the Canadian counterparts...they probably lost most of their institutional knowledge and files from 10 years ago...
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:09 pm

Intriguing, the 2004 “FPCW” came in a MCW pack. Seems likely to have been an error, maybe?

Source: viewtopic.php?t=3711&start=20
Attachments
EA6A75B7-4BC9-4A36-A880-474D86E0D576.jpeg
All the best, Gents.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:15 pm

I think maybe I’ll give Natick a call myself. I’ve got a little clout with the Army. I don’t believe this is nothing more than a simple matter. And the reason I brought forth Norge’s image as he is the author.

I would disagree if there appears to be any difference between them based on the info already provided. Ironically, I viewed your MCW vid., and this shouldn’t be a “split hairs” analysis. Name changes occur.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:20 pm

In my opinion, this was a intermediary ration - IIRC it's menu is actually the same or very similar to the MCW - so all in all the difference might only be the package labeling...

I believe this ration was intended to be one step towards a unified MCW/LRP ration as referenced below to reduce procurement costs more than likely;
Please note that acquisition for the RCW for the U.S. military services will cease in the near future. Its inclusion here is for purposes of its current availabilty due to its extended shelf life and unused stock. The requirements of this ration for the future will be met by the Meal, Cold Weather (MCW)/Long Range Patrol (LRP) Combination Ration.
Reference:
https://www.mreinfo.com/other-us-ration ... hive-page/

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:23 pm

Back to Norge’s photo. Based on the photo you provided, I did a little Sherlock Holmes and deduced Norge has got one in the far left corner near the humanitarian rations.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country