Buying MRE legalities & USDA Confiscation

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
EasyMre

Buying MRE legalities & USDA Confiscation

Post by EasyMre » Sun May 31, 2020 4:15 pm

I have a couple topics I was curious about.

On the side of the MRE case states, "U.S Government Property. Resale is Unlawful."

Anyone hear of anyone "actually" encounter legal issues with purchasing or selling military MREs? Seems like there are bigger fish to fry but I was curious. I did Kman's article about the government giving Ebay sellers crap a few years back. See here: https://www.mreinfo.com/mres/us-govt-v ... auctions/ . Not sure if that's still a thing.

Also, I've read a few posts about USDA confiscation of internal MREs and taking out the mains out.

Anyone experience that or is not a very common issue? The reason why I ask is I just ordered some international MREs from MRE Mountain. Naturally, I'm a little concerned though it's something completely out of my control. I have heard that MRE Mountain has issued refunds in those circumstances. I guess I can just hope for the best.
Read my blog Subscribe to Steve1989mreinfo
  • My favorite MRE YouTuber.
  • "Let's get this on a tray. Nice!"

Amelieee1
eBay name: Amelieee1

Re: Buying MRE legalities & USDA Confiscation

Post by Amelieee1 » Sun May 31, 2020 5:57 pm

As long as it is sold as SURPLUS its fine, if its maybe the odd MRE or two from a service member, thats usually fine too. Its when you start buying them from a service member who steals them that issues occur.
Commissaries are a form of surplus too, but usually prices are too high to consider making a business
Check out my ORP menu spreadsheet: https://bit.ly/2NqUFRX | I have: | British 24HR Box Rations | French RCIRs | Type I EPA |Danish Rations

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Sun May 31, 2020 7:25 pm

I did some research for an unrelated item and there are a couple of things that can be said. MRE’s are not the only products that have a label “not for resale.” And the question is, can they be sold? There was a Supreme Court case that dealt with resale of books that the publishers said could not be done. It can get a little complicated, but I believe the simple answer is, yes, MRE’s can be resold. The book publisher case was just an example and may not be applicable.

Some of those emails don’t sound all legit. I could be wrong. I was told rations “were a war item,” yet in those emails it seems like some gung-ho individual anyways just trying to prove a point, but has nothing to gain. It almost sounded in between the emails like spam.

Doubtful you’re going to get a lot of feedback on this. In the case of the book publisher, there turned out to be a legal way to sell the books. The student won and the publishers lost.

Don’t take my advice on what you might think is coming from a professional.

One thing am pretty sure about. They can be gifted away.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

housil

Post by housil » Mon Jun 01, 2020 5:48 am

EasyMre wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:15 pm
Anyone experience that or is not a very common issue?
Over here in Germany, the "black market" around US installations went so big, that the Army ordered to destroy all left over MREs e.g. run over with a truck etc. Two (German) sellers (I know in person) got legal issues, so MREs over here will get tight.

I had an house search by two Detectives for allegedly selling stolen goods and had to proof, where my rations came from to make sure, they are not from felt-of-the-truck-store...

Rms2324

Post by Rms2324 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:00 am

Curious about this as well. Soon will be ordering over 10 rations at once from Poland and the absolute last thing I want is for my rations to be confiscated.

Any input on the likelihood of Customs being assholes and taking the rations? Just don’t want to drop a good amount of money and have the government steal and destroy my soon to be stuff! Lol
Always looking for international ration sellers in the USA!

Ren

Post by Ren » Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:55 pm

I recommend Army Surplus stores and MRE e-commerce websites with good reviews.

It's also who you know, so if they have a good review here, go for it!

My Europe-sourced foreign MREs are always destroyed unfortunately by Customs.

OtisRNeedleman

Post by OtisRNeedleman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 9:42 pm

Went to the commissary this morning. They had cases of TOTMs and MREs for sale. Believe commissary has been selling quite a few rations since the ChiCom Flu hit.