What role did Spam play in the US military?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
fdsman

What role did Spam play in the US military?

Post by fdsman » Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:52 pm

There's this general assumption that during WWII everyone ate some amount of spam, but I can't actually find any specific references to spam being issued as rations to US soldiers, and that it more served as a civilian food staple here, although in what quantities compared to regular meat, I'm not sure.

Does anyone have any evidence that the military was distributing spam at all? I would have thought OD green cans with some military designation would appear if you do image searches for it since the military usually doesn't issue anything in commercial packaging.

donaldjcheek

Re: What role did Spam play in the US military?

Post by donaldjcheek » Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:26 pm

Many pictures of SPAM in WW2 show it packed in a round silver colored can labeled "Pork Luncheon Loaf."

SPAM was so ubiquitous, supply depots were nicknamed "SPAM Canyons," and Uncle Sam was sometimes called "Uncle SPAM."

The 125th Fighter Squadron named their base in the Pacific "SPAMville". A souvenir postcard from WW2 shows "Spamville" painted across the base water tower.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower, in a letter acknowledging the role of SPAM in World War II, stated that he ate his "share of SPAM along with millions of other soldiers." The letter was sent to retired Hormel President H. H. Corey in 1966. A copy of this letter is on display in the World War II section of the SPAM Museum.
"I think," said Christopher Robin, "that we ought to eat all our Provisions now, so that we shan't have so much to carry."

jfko6
eBay name: jfk9

Post by jfko6 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:16 pm

I rediscovered my own post and museum visit:

Go to here for some actual images: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5037&p=37812#p37812
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:12 am

cool post... it amazes me how SPAM is still a component in many Japanese and Hawaiian recipes.

I heard that so much of it was left behind after the war that the locals did whatever they could with it to suit their tastes. SPAM likely saved many from starvation, but that's just an assumption.

James1492

Post by James1492 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 12:25 pm

I recently traveled to Hawaii (early February) and can confirm that Spam is ubiquitous in their cuisine. My favorite Hawaiin staple is Musubi - which basically amounts to a handheld sushi roll that uses spam instead of raw fish or vegetables.

I wasn't a Spam guy (having avoided the stuff my entire life) but while in Hawaii adopted the "when in Rome" attitude. Man, am I glad I ponied up and tried it... it is fantastic especially in the various Hawaiin dishes that I consumed and it was part of.

Would be curious to try a classic formula (circa WWII) versus the modern version.

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:51 pm

There are spam-type pantry items in this video within the period you indicated: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=10045

Never been to Hawaii, but wish to do so. Want to visit Diamond Head mountain.

Suppose pineapple 🍍 tastes good with everything in Hawaii. Look forward to trying Hawaiian pineapple.
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country

jfko6

Post by jfko6 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:34 am

There can be found more info on Spam in the other forums as well as tastier Bacon Spam here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2635
The Long Gray Line
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country