Pre flight ration?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
TheMaus

Pre flight ration?

Post by TheMaus » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 am

I recently acquired a brown bag MRE from around 86-88 and the bag has different writing. it says For Pre Flight/Flight USL.
Was just curious if anyone had an idea of the purpose it served and if the contents were different from normal MRE'S at the time
People i Reccomend : ViperGTS,Steve1989,KML1989,Dvalin

MOST WANTED MRES:
Full MCI With Smokes, Italian MRE With Cordiale, Emergence parachute Rations, PM me if you have any of these please :D

Smitty

Re: Pre flight ration?

Post by Smitty » Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:58 am

The "Not" is worn off. "Not for Pre Flight/Flight" it should say. With the beans in there, and altitude, it'll get a wee bit uncomfortable.

They manufactured rations specifically for flight feeding too, and you can find a few threads on here regarding it.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Tedster

Post by Tedster » Mon Feb 03, 2020 9:36 am

"Bean Component".

Yeah, the "Beans In Tomato Sauce" were legendary. Jayzus. The problem was medical in the sense that aircrews or fighter pilots who had recently eaten that garbage and then experienced rapid elevation changes would be in for a world of hurt.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am

As a former Air Force pilot, I can assure you that poor eating choices can have a disabling effect at altitude. Intestinal gas can double in volume/pressure at even moderate altitudes, and it is not easy to "vent" that pressure. Besides the pain, it restricts blood flow and puts pressure on the lungs through the diaphragm. Not good.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Wed Feb 05, 2020 12:18 pm

RockyRaab wrote:
Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:54 am
As a former Air Force pilot, I can assure you that poor eating choices can have a disabling effect at altitude. Intestinal gas can double in volume/pressure at even moderate altitudes, and it is not easy to "vent" that pressure. Besides the pain, it restricts blood flow and puts pressure on the lungs through the diaphragm. Not good.
Oh jeeezus haha.

Appreciate the amazing input, Rocky! You the man. Hope your 2020 is going well.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:27 pm

Smitty wrote:
Mon Feb 03, 2020 4:58 am

They manufactured rations specifically for flight feeding too, and you can find a few threads on here regarding it.
Agreed.
Maus, they are labeled " meal flight feeding individual", they are hard to come across. I only have one. it's basically the same meals but with the gas causing items replaced. here is a bad pic of my #7 turkey gravy