1982 Menu 9 Beefsteak??

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Xan_Man85

1982 Menu 9 Beefsteak??

Post by Xan_Man85 » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:19 pm

Greetings all,

I recently bought several cases of old brown bag MREs to resell at my shows. In this lot were one and a half cases of 1982 MREs. The open case had a Menu 9-Beefsteak ration. I can not find this menu listed anywhere for 1982. Are these rare? If so, what would it be worth? I can't find much for reference. I've eaten a lot of MREs, but these older ones are completely different to me. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Attachments
beefsteak3.jpg
beefsteak2.jpg
Beefsteak1.jpg

Smitty

Re: 1982 Menu 9 Beefsteak??

Post by Smitty » Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:17 am

They alternated menu 9 and Menu 12 through 81-83 (or so) according to cortexrations.

All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

Xan_Man85

Post by Xan_Man85 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:09 pm

Interesting. He says that it took him a year or year and a half to track this one down. I'm guessing it's pretty rare then. In the half case I also had a Chicken Loaf ration, which I didn't know was also pretty rare... and it was the ration I randomly picked to try :cry: . Oh well, at least it was still good! Mostly anyway. The FD strawberries were bad, but everything else was pretty good. Anyway, with the Beefsteak ration being so rare, would it command a premium over the other 1982 rations I have?

Thanks again!

Cortexmelon

Post by Cortexmelon » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:55 pm

Xan_Man85 wrote:
Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:09 pm
Interesting. He says that it took him a year or year and a half to track this one down. I'm guessing it's pretty rare then. In the half case I also had a Chicken Loaf ration, which I didn't know was also pretty rare... and it was the ration I randomly picked to try :cry: . Oh well, at least it was still good! Mostly anyway. The FD strawberries were bad, but everything else was pretty good. Anyway, with the Beefsteak ration being so rare, would it command a premium over the other 1982 rations I have?

Thanks again!
IMO, from what I've seen, they are as rare as you can get for any type of MRE you can get out there. I defintely can see them going for about 15-20 more bucks then a standard MRE from that era, but thats just my opinion of course.

Those dont pop up often at ALL, so enjoy what you have been lucky enough to run into. You dont get to run into those 2 menu's everyday!

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:44 pm

Xan_Man85 wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:19 pm
Greetings all,

I recently bought several cases of old brown bag MREs to resell at my shows. In this lot were one and a half cases of 1982 MREs. The open case had a Menu 9-Beefsteak ration. I can not find this menu listed anywhere for 1982. Are these rare? If so, what would it be worth? I can't find much for reference. I've eaten a lot of MREs, but these older ones are completely different to me. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!
I did a vid on the 81 beef slices:

But the beef steak was better and lots of people bought them up over the years. I personally wouldnt call them rare, but uncommon, you bet.
Brown baggers go for between 5 and 30, so it's always worth what someone will pay😁