Questions about US MRE's

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
JediMindTricks

Questions about US MRE's

Post by JediMindTricks » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:46 am

Hi friends. First let me say, I am not trying to offend any of you, especially veterans, I'm not knocking US MRE's, I'm just curious about certain things? Image
  • Did US MRE's ever have esbit stoves?
  • Why do US MREs do not standardize accessory packets? What I mean is... some packets have no coffee, some have no base drinks, some have tea. Is it that America can't afford to put all 3 in each MRE to give someone who is fighting for their homeland a choice? I honestly am curious about this one, it kind of pisses me off, and I don't know why
  • Why not put one of those small cigarette packs, sample packs, in standard MRE's? As a morale booster? Or as a way to have something to barter with? Or is it tied with the whole stop smoking movement world wide?
  • Are there modern survival kits that US pilots wear? Has anyone ever done a youtube review of one?
  • do you as former US veterans, wish there were some things standardized, or added to MRE's? For example, I would include chapstick, a small scrubbing pad pre-soaked with soap, more than one base drink, standardize some kind of hot sauce.
I thank you for your time, and your answers. God bless all veterans,

(PS, this is a side note, I found this book on Amazon that might interest some of you, or you can read it on google books https://books.google.com/books?id=jqtpA ... ts&f=false
Image Image Image

RockyRaab

Re: Questions about US MRE's

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:18 am

You're welcome.

My time was pre-MRE days, but I can address if not answer some of your points.

No esbit stoves, ever. The first MREs had no heat source at all, and the FRH since about 1992.

No idea about the acc packs, but I agree with you.

The services now frown sternly at smoking, both from a health and tactical standpoint.

When I last flew, we still wore the small "cigar" kit in a flight suit pocket. Some planes had a much larger kit in the ejection seat pan. Not mine.

Putting chapstick in every meal would mean you got two or three of them a day - which leads back to why acc packs are NOT standardized. No need for a scrub pad if you don't have a mess kit or esbit stove.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

cavguy

Post by cavguy » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:46 am

JediMindTricks wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:46 am
Hi friends. First let me say, I am not trying to offend any of you, especially veterans, I'm not knocking US MRE's, I'm just curious about certain things? Image
  • Did US MRE's ever have esbit stoves?
  • Why do US MREs do not standardize accessory packets? What I mean is... some packets have no coffee, some have no base drinks, some have tea. Is it that America can't afford to put all 3 in each MRE to give someone who is fighting for their homeland a choice? I honestly am curious about this one, it kind of pisses me off, and I don't know why
  • Why not put one of those small cigarette packs, sample packs, in standard MRE's? As a morale booster? Or as a way to have something to barter with? Or is it tied with the whole stop smoking movement world wide?
  • Are there modern survival kits that US pilots wear? Has anyone ever done a youtube review of one?
  • do you as former US veterans, wish there were some things standardized, or added to MRE's? For example, I would include chapstick, a small scrubbing pad pre-soaked with soap, more than one base drink, standardize some kind of hot sauce.
I thank you for your time, and your answers. God bless all veterans,

(PS, this is a side note, I found this book on Amazon that might interest some of you, or you can read it on google books https://books.google.com/books?id=jqtpA ... ts&f=false
1. MRE's never had stoves.
2. I would venture to guess its for cost reasons and also to provide some type of variety to the menu's. Soldiers can trade if they want and honestly when I was in, I never even opened the accessory pack.
3. DoD Directive 1010.10 Health Promotion and Disease Prevention highly discouraged smoking in the early/mid 80's - Wikipedia:
The policy banned the use of tobacco during basic training, increased the number of designated nonsmoking areas, and prohibited health care providers from smoking on duty.
4. Yes, there are different kits that the military uses depending on environment and type of aircraft (fixed wing, rotary) these kits vary widely!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF6p-oayVek
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGwDZR_nxM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnAllhvNHdE
5. Honestly I thin they are good as is. We don't get issued mess kits, so when you eat you eat out of the pouch. Chapstick comes in the health and comfort packs
https://www.dla.mil/TroopSupport/Subsis ... tions/hcp/

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:53 am

As I've said many times, the improvements needed in MREs are not in the peripherals. What they need are much larger main meals with a lot more protein. These high carb/sugar "meals" are in my opinion highly counterproductive, leading to huge swings in energy and alertness. Peak and crash diets are horrible, even in limited use. European rations ought to be the model, not the snack food aisle.

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:50 am

JediMindTricks wrote:
For variety and depending on the other contents each items may or may not make sense. For example if you get a cappuccino they don't feel you still need an additional coffee. Don't have plain coffee, don't need sugar and cream.
JediMindTricks wrote:
Not only do they frown on smoking for health and tactical reasons, soldiers have sued the government for getting them hooked on cigarettes because the government got them started on the habit with the inclusion of cigarettes in rations, soldiers who later suffered health complications and even death all from a habit the government supplied them with.

My question is why never any pepper?
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 am

RockyRaab wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:18 am
You're welcome.

My time was pre-MRE days, but I can address if not answer some of your points.

No esbit stoves, ever. The first MREs had no heat source at all, and the FRH since about 1992.

No idea about the acc packs, but I agree with you.

The services now frown sternly at smoking, both from a health and tactical standpoint.

When I last flew, we still wore the small "cigar" kit in a flight suit pocket. Some planes had a much larger kit in the ejection seat pan. Not mine.

Putting chapstick in every meal would mean you got two or three of them a day - which leads back to why acc packs are NOT standardized. No need for a scrub pad if you don't have a mess kit or esbit stove.
weird, to me as a dumbass civilian, it sounds shitty to have to eat cold meals.

Its interesting that smoking is frowned upon, but getting your head blown off by 50 cal round is just fine, makes good sense to me.

But I guess I understand, thank you sir.
Image Image Image

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:13 pm

JediMindTricks wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 am

It IS shitty! I know that the MRE's can be eaten cold but they are God awful when you do. I find I must heat the mains and a lot of time the breads and other components for the texture to be decent. Only then do I find them tolerable as a civilian. Of course 1) in the outdoors, all food tastes better to me and 2) as a soldier there are probably more important things to worry about and whizzing by your head than your emergency field chow.

Smoking causes cancer and you can sue but surviving at .50BMG round causes PTSD which you can't sue for, yeah, this is the crazy world we live in.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:04 am

Have you read "Catch 22"? NOTHING in the military makes sense. I think it's a rule. At times, I think that may be the reason it succeeds - unpredictable.

It's true that our field rations are poor at best. Luckily, our troops don't have to live on the things and do get better chow in the mess halls.

JediMindTricks

Post by JediMindTricks » Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:57 pm

RockyRaab wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 10:04 am
Have you read "Catch 22"? NOTHING in the military makes sense. I think it's a rule. At times, I think that may be the reason it succeeds - unpredictable.

It's true that our field rations are poor at best. Luckily, our troops don't have to live on the things and do get better chow in the mess halls.
I have read and seen docus about the fact that troops eat pretty darn well on ships, submarines, I don't know about army, marines. Thank you Raab
mikeoverhere wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:13 pm
JediMindTricks wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:54 am

It IS shitty! I know that the MRE's can be eaten cold but they are God awful when you do. I find I must heat the mains and a lot of time the breads and other components for the texture to be decent. Only then do I find them tolerable as a civilian. Of course 1) in the outdoors, all food tastes better to me and 2) as a soldier there are probably more important things to worry about and whizzing by your head than your emergency field chow.

Smoking causes cancer and you can sue but surviving at .50BMG round causes PTSD which you can't sue for, yeah, this is the crazy world we live in.
its true, everything tastes better or more tolerable when your exhausted, hungry as shit, and hurting. Thank you for speaking to me and explaining some things
Image Image Image

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:35 am

As an Air Force pilot, we hardly ever got better than middle-grade caviar and champagne. (joke)

Field rations are a whole different category than mess hall/shipboard chow. Weight and caloric content rule most other decisions and the US Army does try hard to make rations palatable - so soldiers will eat rather than toss them. Other nations may serve nothing but rations, and thus make them to other standards. Ours are intended as more or less emergency food to be eaten for no more than a few days while away from home base facilities.

As to heating, making a fire is akin to saying "Shoot me!" in the field. That goes for lighting and puffing on cigarettes, too. Hence the flameless heaters and no smokes in rations.