Whats your favorite item in a mre, any mre that is

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Hunglikechrist

Whats your favorite item in a mre, any mre that is

Post by Hunglikechrist » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:28 pm

Mine is always the matches, esp in the older vietnam ones. Im new so im sure they were called another name than a mre , so forgive me. :D

Richard w.

Re: Whats your favorite item in a mre, any mre that is

Post by Richard w. » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:59 pm

The plain crackers are my favorite item.

They are the best thing to go with cheese spread, peanut butter, or jam, and you can crumble them up and add to almost any of the mains to make them more filling. Especially good with stews and chili.

I've never liked vegetable crackers and I hate the breads. Shame they have replaced most of the plain crackers.

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:10 pm

That’s a tough one. I enjoy trying the beverages from international rations. Many are so different from the sickly sweet, nuclear-colored ones in US MREs. I also enjoy the variety of crackers like you get in the RCIR and the one that Germany is currently using for foreign operations.

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:07 pm

The cran-raspberry First Strike bars are my absolute favorite US ration item. Choclettos are also a favorite of mine, but I've only seen them in 2010 and 2011 MREs.

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:53 am

For me its the beef Tushonka from Russian rations. The kind when its in large unground non-shredded hunks. The beef is amazingly tender and wholesome. I love the fat which makes it tasty and rich. Unprocessed and few simple seasoning ingredients, no chemicals or preservatives. I have tried other sources to get it but none have been as good as the military issue. I wish our rations could have meat that good.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

Hunglikechrist

Post by Hunglikechrist » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:39 pm

mikeoverhere wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:53 am
For me its the beef Tushonka from Russian rations. The kind when its in large unground non-shredded hunks. The beef is amazingly tender and wholesome. I love the fat which makes it tasty and rich. Unprocessed and few simple seasoning ingredients, no chemicals or preservatives. I have tried other sources to get it but none have been as good as the military issue. I wish our rations could have meat that good.
With the usda doing what its doing, id be surprised if I ever get to try that 😥

DBCT

Post by DBCT » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:58 pm

Oddly enough, some of my favorite parts so far have been the fruit/nut Muesli from foreign rations. Unfortunately most seem to come with chocolate muesli, which finds it's way into my leftover box.

For US MREs, zero parts that I would consider anything better than life sustaining. It's kinda disappointing knowing how much more the US spends on our Military than pretty much every other country combined, yet our soldiers rations aren't even in the top 10 quality wise.

Demolition_Man

Post by Demolition_Man » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:09 pm

Pound cake and Irish cream coffee were the best items I've had in a US MRE, hands down.
Military rations I have...
tested: Germany, USA, UK, France, Norway, Canada, Lithuania
acquired but yet to try: Australia, Portugal, Spain, Italy, Netherlands, Estonia, Latvia, Poland, Czech Republic, Croatia, Russia (Mountain, IRP), Ukraine

blue87fj60

Post by blue87fj60 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:31 am

I always liked the lemon poppy seed pound cake, the chocolate covered oatmeal butter bar as we called them.
Turkey nuggets in new ones are pretty good.

blue87fj60

Post by blue87fj60 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:00 pm

Caffeinated Chocolate Pudding is pretty good too. :mrgreen: