XMRE Pizza, does this look normal?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Joey M

XMRE Pizza, does this look normal?

Post by Joey M » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:15 am

Hi All, this is my first time posting and I hoping to get everyone’s opinion on this topic. I recently ordered some XMRE Pizza’s to test before going to a camping trip and the item just doesn’t look right and had an overly strong odor. This is the first time I have gotten XMRE Pizza so I did not know if this looked and smelled normal.

As you can see on the attached picture the everything looks dark, everything from the sauce to the cheese. Everything felt overly greasy you can even see it on the bread dough portion.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Sincerely, Joey M
Attachments
5758BD5F-80F7-44E6-AEEE-C8F535B7C163.jpeg

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Re: XMRE Pizza, does this look normal?

Post by mikeoverhere » Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:46 pm

Unfortunately - Yes.

I was fooled by XMRE's advertisement picture which is NOT the real thing. The pizza from both manufacturers look the same, the cheese is dark and wouldn't melt in a 500deg oven. See my earlier thread on this viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10191

The picture XMRE uses, from another source with the cheese looking white and meat looking bright red so probably color adjusted picture, and what they all actually look like even when fresh. On the real picture, please excuse the bite out of it and missing bits I picked off.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.06.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.06.31 PM.png (191 KiB) Viewed 13163 times
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.07.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-04-23 at 9.07.16 PM.png (241.23 KiB) Viewed 13163 times
IMG_4525-29-04-19-07-24-2.JPG
IMG_4525-29-04-19-07-24-2.JPG (47.65 KiB) Viewed 13163 times
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

Joey M

Post by Joey M » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:36 pm

Thanks Mike, I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t setting myself up for an ER trip for something preventable. Your picture helped a lot as well.

Flange

Post by Flange » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:13 pm

Agreed, but actual pictures seem exactly like the pizzas I've had. I also noted a slight chili powder flavor that was pretty unexpected. It's cool to have "pizza" but I hoping for so much more. Honestly I think you'd get a better result from some meatballs in marinara sauce on top of a wheat snack bread.

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:14 pm

Flange wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:13 pm
Honestly I think you'd get a better result from some meatballs in marinara sauce on top of a wheat snack bread.
Yum!

I admit, I do want the try the Norwegian prototype Bacon topped Pizza. Same thing, just different topping. I figure Bacon is the food that makes all other food worth eating so could only help.

Hunter1998

Post by Hunter1998 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 11:50 pm

I think Natick had the same issue when fielding out the Pizza as a menu, after the three year inspection it would turn brown, not bad or anything like mold, just turn into something you wouldn't want to eat unless you were starving and even then...

I have a Menu 23 myself I am saving for when I hike up to tikaboo peak but hopefully it doesn't turn out like yours, its Bridgford who makes its for the US, just like most other components, I'm sure they sell them on eBay.

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:45 am

They all look brown even when they are fresh. My pizza in the picture was fresh. You aren't going to see white cheese or bright red pepperoni. Taste is unaffected and IMO it tastes even worse than it looks.

Honestabepoet

Post by Honestabepoet » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:14 pm

Joey M wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:15 am
Hi All, this is my first time posting and I hoping to get everyone’s opinion on this topic. I recently ordered some XMRE Pizza’s to test before going to a camping trip and the item just doesn’t look right and had an overly strong odor. This is the first time I have gotten XMRE Pizza so I did not know if this looked and smelled normal.

As you can see on the attached picture the everything looks dark, everything from the sauce to the cheese. Everything felt overly greasy you can even see it on the bread dough portion.

Thanks for your help and opinions.

Sincerely, Joey M
Just a reminder Joe, if you live in the USA you can email Brigford the company and politely ask for a sample of the pizza. It might take a while to get because they send it fresh to you. My pizza was only 26 days after production and was delicious! Cheers!
-Jeremy

On a quest to try every MRE in the world!

RSMRE

Post by RSMRE » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:08 pm

The 2 slices I gave my scouts seemed to look okay and weren't brown but they didn't look like the picture either. thanks Viper for sending along those 2 pizzas. Boys said they tasted like old pizza so I'm assuming it didn't taste bad considering they ate the whole thing cold. will have to go to cabelas.com and order some for me to try this time.
Sellers/Traders I recommend: ViperGTS x2, Salty Croc, donjuan_21,Sturm44,Ration_Man

mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:44 pm

RSMRE wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:08 pm
The 2 slices I gave my scouts seemed to look okay and weren't brown but they didn't look like the picture either.
Can you tell us what they looked like? Brand and manufacture date? Mine have all been brown and were of recent manufacture.