The Holy Grail of MREs/Rations?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
cavguy

Re: The Holy Grail of MREs/Rations?

Post by cavguy » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:53 pm

norge wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:46 pm
cavguy: the link don't work,could you post picture here ?
Here is the text Ken.
Pentagon's New Food Packet to Serve as Humanitarian Aid
ART PINE
TIMES STAFF WRITER

The Pentagon has come up with a new food-aid packet for the post-Cold War world--a modern-day version of military C-rations, designed especially for humanitarian airdrops in places such as Bosnia-Herzegovina that are under military siege.

Known formally as HDR (for humanitarian daily ration), the packet looks something like the time-honored MRE (for meal, ready-to-eat)--the version of the C-ration that was distributed to U.S. troops in Operation Desert Storm in 1991.

But the similarity ends there. HDR offers a decidedly lower-calorie diet than the MRE, contains no meat or fish and provides an entire day's nutritional requirements in one package, instead of only one meal's worth as the MRE does. And veterans who have tried both contend that the HDR also tastes better.

The new plastic-wrapped HDRs were developed in five months at the request of Defense Secretary Les Aspin, who wanted to overcome the problems that MREs often posed when they were used in humanitarian relief efforts.

Although the United States has distributed tens of millions of MREs in Bosnia and Somalia over the last few months, officials have found that their high-calorie contents--designed to sustain healthy U.S. soldiers in combat--often were too rich for starving refugees.

In Somalia, for example, relief workers reported that those suffering from malnutrition simply could not "process" the high-protein diet that the MREs provided. And Muslims in Ethiopia were reluctant to eat the pork and other meats that are part of the MREs.

"They would taste them, maybe pick a few things out, then throw them away," recalled Tom Getman, director of government relations for the private relief organization World Vision.

But Patricia Irwin, deputy assistant secretary of defense for humanitarian and refugee affairs, told reporters Wednesday that the HDR, designed to provide sustenance for a "moderately malnourished" person, avoids any such culinary faux pas.

To begin with, HDRs contain only about 1,900 calories--compared to 3,600 for a day's ration of MREs. They are made up entirely of vegetables, fruits and grains, providing a healthy dose of fiber. And they cost only $3.95 a day, compared to $13.80 a day for MREs.

Irwin said that the Pentagon has ordered 2.15 million HDRs for shipment to Rhein-Main Air Base in Germany in preparation for possible use in Bosnia.

A typical HDR contains "tangy beans" and piquant "savory lentils," crackers, granola, jelly, candied fruit and a small piece of pita-like bread. There are six different menu combinations.

norge

Post by norge » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:33 pm

many thanks cavguy !

cheers ken

Smitty

Post by Smitty » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:00 pm

I’m still actively hunting a Canadian Individual Ration Pack, which was the pre-IMP ration.

Anything WW2, coming from a reenacting background, hold a lot of interest for me.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Sun Apr 14, 2019 8:45 pm

If I had to say one ration that is a "HOLY GRAIL" (This was really hard to do btw). I'd probably say a Parachute Ration or Emergency Parachute Ration just for included items, rarity and not to mention being the precursor to the SA and ST's. But really, anything from a K Ration, C Ration (B unit), D Ration, Life Boat & Life Raft Ration or any other WWII ration would all be a holy grail to me. Hats off to all of you guys showing your rarities!

Steve, can't wait to check those 1906 rations if you have them for review. That one on the left looks similar to that Boer war ration with it's two halves that you open up individually! Interesting. Those are going to be awesome! Definitely some rare oldies!

ItCameFromThailand

Post by ItCameFromThailand » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:10 pm

norge wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:22 pm
if you had a picture it could be easier to tell :D

cheers ken
Here it is.
rcw.jpg
rcw.jpg (40.01 KiB) Viewed 10524 times

norge

Post by norge » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:00 am

it could be a 96.

cheers ken

ItCameFromThailand

Post by ItCameFromThailand » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:15 pm

norge wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:00 am
it could be a 96.

cheers ken
Ok thank you.

BigDaddyMatt

Post by BigDaddyMatt » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:54 pm

Wow, a lot of really nice collections out there! I am not much of a collector, but more of a practical user.

I can't say that I have a single holy grail MRE or ration. However, I guess my ideal "holy grail" MRE would be a custom MRE with all of the components that I would most like to try, like tubes of sweetened condensed milk, yeast extract and marmalades, a couple of really good pate's, good, sharp cheese spread, really good curry dish, freeze dried peaches, and the best coffee and tea. I know there is more, but those are just off the top of my head.

norge

Post by norge » Sun Nov 15, 2020 11:25 am

norge wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:49 am
here is I posted a time back, the brown bag HDR
haven't found or seen one since I found this one.
002.JPG

cheers ken

found this picture of the HDR brown prior to the humanitarian relif efforts in Rwanda 0608 1994 operation support hope
hdr brownbag.PNG

GunnarTheFeisty

Post by GunnarTheFeisty » Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:54 pm

for me, either RCI and pre korea rations, or prototype rations (hopefully if I'm lucky I can get my hands on a prototype of that new ration)
most wanted: RCIR, MCI/B units, IMPs, anything old, and a packet or two of RAFCO soup. PM if you've got these, or anything else to sell that isn't too expensive.