Clear plastic bag inside tan pouches?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Richard w.

Clear plastic bag inside tan pouches?

Post by Richard w. » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:13 am

Just got a couple of cases of Ameriqual 2017 MREs. Newest rations I've seen.

The contents of the ration are all bundled together in one tough clear plastic pouch inside the tan outer pouch, and this is a new (to me) development.

I'm wondering about the purpose of it. Is it a product improvement to further improve the freshness of the components, or is it somehow related to aiding the packing process on the assembly line?

Did the inclusion of the bag get written into the government's specifications for MREs, so that all the manufacturers use it?

RockyRaab

Re: Clear plastic bag inside tan pouches?

Post by RockyRaab » Sun Mar 31, 2019 1:59 pm

Ameriqual has packed them like that for several years now. I think it's an "over and above" step that they take - in excess of the requirements, that is. It does improve the chances for preservation and water resistance in the event the outer bag gets punctured. That's a good thing. AND it provides a handy trash bag or storage in case you don't eat everything at one sitting. Kudos to AQ.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:03 pm

Ameriqual has double bagged for a while. The other packers Wornick and Sopakco dont. Since 2 out of 3 dont do it, i dont believe it is a requirement...Wornick will also not often have exterior date codes.

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Post by BTemple » Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:22 pm

I actually have some 2017 packed MREs here that had the inner clear sealed bag like Ameriqual, but were Sopako.
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:00 pm

BTemple wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:22 pm
I actually have some 2017 packed MREs here that had the inner clear sealed bag like Ameriqual, but were Sopako.
Interesting...i havnt seen that yet. Might be something Uncle Sam is starting to require.

elandil

Post by elandil » Tue Apr 02, 2019 2:13 am

ViperGTS wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2019 11:00 pm
BTemple wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2019 9:22 pm
Interesting...i havnt seen that yet. Might be something Uncle Sam is starting to require.
Yep. Got some 2016's from SoPakCo that are double bagged. Don't think it's a requirement, reading the papers doesn't show it.

I like it, it seems to keep them longer.

BlackDogBob

Post by BlackDogBob » Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 pm

This started as a result of the bag distribution bottleneck several years ago. When Ameriqual couldn’t get the outer bags, they opted to still pack them in the inner bags until they got their orders of outer bags delivered. This allowed them to keep up production schedules.
Have German,Russian,Canadian,Lithuanian,Dutch, Israeli,Spanish,HDRs,LRPs,French,US RCWs,FSRs,Italian,Croatian, Polish,Aussie, Czech, Malaysian, Swedish, Australian and Norwegian Arctics.

Dekard

Post by Dekard » Mon May 13, 2019 11:46 pm

cue the "double-bagging" jokes in 3,2,1...

; p

Richard w.

Post by Richard w. » Tue May 14, 2019 8:46 am

BlackDogBob wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 9:17 pm
This started as a result of the bag distribution bottleneck several years ago. When Ameriqual couldn’t get the outer bags, they opted to still pack them in the inner bags until they got their orders of outer bags delivered. This allowed them to keep up production schedules.
Thanks Bob. I love it when a mystery is solved.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Tue May 14, 2019 10:02 am

I just got a case of TOTMs from Sopacko and all of them were double-bagged. I'd assume that their MREs are now, too.

The outer bag shortage theory has merit, so perhaps it affected all three providers.

I like it. The inner bag gives me a place to hold the rest of the goodies while I use the outer bag as an extra insulation layer with the FRH and food steaming away inside it - and then as the garbage bag.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.