Beverage Base Powder...out?

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
DIRTYDAVE

Beverage Base Powder...out?

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:06 pm

Aw man! They are ditching my beverage base powder in the upcoming production of MREs. Well, let me be totally professional here by saying...THAT SUCKS!!! I love that powder. My only hope here is that hopefully the new Carbohydrate Fortified Beverage will be just as good or better. They have a lot to live up to here.
"THEY CALL ME DIRTY...DIRTYDAVE"

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:27 pm

I guess I'm not surprised with them taking out the regular beverage base powders. Only 7 of the 2004 menus had the beverages base powders anyway. Now that I think about, I wonder where all the drinks went? According to the 2004 menus, here are the beverages included:

Beverage Base, Powdered (7)
Cocoa Beverage Powder (4)
Dairy Shake (4)
Fruit Vanilla Cappuccino
Mocha Cappuccino

That's only 17 out of 24 menus. I guess the rest of them have to make do with coffee/tea/cider.

Steve
inactive

Post by Steve » Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:34 am

Damn, I am going to miss that stuff. I really liked the Mocha and stuff.

If they dont put anything new in, the people responsible are gonna have to put up with my rambling for about 17 minutes, which is damn horror I tell ya.

Its a shame what happens to people that actually listen... or try to listen to me and understand what the hell I'm saying.

They all lose thier hair.
You lose one - you rig one.

- Captain Quint

Hi, my name is Steve and I ramble alot... for many reasons I wish to keep to myself. :)

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:26 pm

It is not a shame...IT IS A CRIME and should be punishable by having to eat their weight in COUNTRY CAPTAIN CHICKEN!!! That would show them. :evil:

jndallas
inactive

Re: Beverage Base Powder...out?

Post by jndallas » Sun Feb 20, 2005 2:19 am

DIRTYDAVE wrote:Aw man! They are ditching my beverage base powder in the upcoming production of MREs. Well, let me be totally professional here by saying...THAT SUCKS!!! I love that powder. My only hope here is that hopefully the new Carbohydrate Fortified Beverage will be just as good or better. They have a lot to live up to here.
Carbohydrate Fortified Beverage

Sounds like governement language that translates to "fake gatorade". I'll bet it sucks. But then again, maybe they will have gatorade packets? Still sucks.

aquarius

Post by aquarius » Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:25 pm

There are rumours that say "aspartame" could be responsible for the many mysterious illnesses that occured after the Gulf War.
Aspartame is the sweetener (synthetic sugar) in many of the beverage base drinks. The theory is that aspartame degrades under influens of heat into 2 toxic substances, methanol and formaldehyde.
Maybe is this the reason why Beverage Base is vanishing from the MRE's ??
"if you don't read the newspaper, you are uniformed. If you do read the newspaper, you are misinformed". (Mark Twain)

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Thu Mar 03, 2005 8:34 pm

Interesting point, aquarius - but IIRC, the current beverage bases are all sugar-based - I don't think they contain any aspartame.

But you know...that reminds me of something I heard way, way long ago in my teenage years working in fast food...

Have you see how fast food places do their coke/pepsi/whatever? The syrup comes in these tall (5 gallon?) stainless steel containers. Those containers are hooked up to a pressurized system which pumps out the syrup and mixes it with the water and gas (to add the fizz). Anyway...I had heard that for the diet beverages, they couldn't use aspartame because it broke down under heat - so the fast food diet drinks were sacchrine-based.

Just something I barely recall...it might not all be true but something rang a bell with what you said.

bejean
inactive

Post by bejean » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:43 pm

aquarius wrote:There are rumours that say "aspartame" could be responsible for the many mysterious illnesses that occured after the Gulf War.
Aspartame is the sweetener (synthetic sugar) in many of the beverage base drinks. The theory is that aspartame degrades under influens of heat into 2 toxic substances, methanol and formaldehyde.
Maybe is this the reason why Beverage Base is vanishing from the MRE's ??
Yeap...this aspartame or artifical sweeteners is nasty stuff i heard from medical forums. Gonna stop the dietcokes and its just either real coke or beer for me now on....muahahaha.. :twisted:

DIRTYDAVE

Post by DIRTYDAVE » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:10 am

Whever I drink something with that artificial sweetner crap in it, I get a sore throat. That means one thing to DIRTYDAVE....DON'T DRINK THAT CRAP, IT WILL KILL YOU. I drink stuff with good old sugar in it, thank you very much.

I heard on the news the other day that drinking sodas or anything with carbonation in it has been medically linked to esophagal cancer....OH, GREAT, WHAT NEXT?