Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
CaptainCoOrdinates

Re: BASIC Question - The correct way to heat MRE’s

Post by CaptainCoOrdinates » Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:12 pm

housil wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:50 pm
CaptainCoOrdinates wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 6:17 pm
Hi, I’m new to this forum but you all seem very informed so I thought I’d ask a question; What is the correct (or quickest) way to heat MRE’s in the field?
There isn´t a "the correct" way. Any way is correct to heat rations, depends what is available in the fields. I like my electric 24V rations heater. All I have to do is to turn a switch on. That´s the quickest way when I´m motorized.
I prefer to heat them up in boiling water (jetboil, tommy cooker etc.) as hotter as better are the mains.
All things being equal, which is the correct way to heat rations between 1. and 2.?

Boiling water and adding the rations is different to:
Boiling water and rations together.

Is one way (the often cited "correct way") more correct in a food heating way, and/or is heating rations and water together more correct in a fuel efficiency/time to heat sort of way?

Which takes longer/uses less fuel?

housil

Re: BASIC Question - The correct way to heat MRE’s

Post by housil » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:42 am

CaptainCoOrdinates wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:12 pm

Boiling water and adding the rations is different to:
Boiling water and rations together.

(...)

Which takes longer/uses less fuel?
I guess the amount of needed energy is the same and both ways take the same time as the mass that needed to be warmed will be the same.

In person, I usually add the pouch to the water and heat up both. When the water is boiling, my food is hot as well.
More important is, to cover the canteen cup/pot with a lid to keep the heat in the water and let it not vape away.