Suggestions on Vegetarian MREs.

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
WorkmanMRE

Suggestions on Vegetarian MREs.

Post by WorkmanMRE » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:43 am

The standard MRE has a few options on Vegetarian MREs. I love them all. But what one is your favorite, and do you have a food hack for it? I personally love the vegetarian Laz and the Spicy Penne with veg sausage. Im a big coffee drinker so the coffee instant with a 1/4 dairy shake(chocolate or vanilla) mixes into a thick mocha! Save that applesauce for dry desserts!

I have reviewed 5-6 MREs and am looking to expand my Channel with International VEGETARIAN mres, any tips?
Thanks in advance, and thanks for this awesome forum!

"Animal Free MRE" on Youtube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber

Cheers,
Workman MRE
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
-----------------------------------------------------------

SentientTootsieRoll

Re: Suggestions on Vegetarian MREs.

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:58 am

My favorite is easily the Elbow Macaroni with Tomato Sauce MRE. They first started producing it in 2016 so it's still pretty hard to find but hopefully we'll see more of them within the next few years. It tasted really good and came with a lot of stuff for those of us with a sweet tooth, namely a chocolate protein shake, Skittles and Nut and Raisin mix. I think it still stands as the best MRE I've had to date.

I can't suggest any hacks for MREs, unless you want to "gundog it up" which involves pouring everything from the MRE into one bowl and mixing it up. I thought that would be interesting to try, but I hate to waste an MRE and follow it up with a nasty stomach ache.

I know I'm delving into "objective definitions" here, but the vegetarian MREs are not animal free, as much as I wish they were. They all contain milk, cheese and/or egg in them. Then again, they are vegetarian, not vegan. I don't see why they don't produce a vegan MRE. They already have vegetarian ones, so why not go full out? And yes, I've had some amazing vegan food so it is possible for them to make a vegan MRE that is enjoyable. I think people who compare it to sawdust either haven't actually tried it or are being overly dramatic in an attempt to create an anecdote.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:54 am

I think the veggie MREs are tastier than the meaty ones. It could be due to fewer chemical preservatives, or just the producers trying harder. Either way, they ARE better tasting. I really liked the ratatouille, but now that it's gone, the mac and tomato is equally good - if not even better. It is not a "boyardee" pasta dish.

I've had a few of the humanitarian meals, which are all vegetarian (to not offend any religious type) and find them to be quite good, too. Again, fewer preservatives may be the answer, as they have a shorter design shelf life.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

limp_noodle

Post by limp_noodle » Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:53 pm

RockyRaab wrote:I think the veggie MREs are tastier than the meaty ones. It could be due to fewer chemical preservatives, or just the producers trying harder. Either way, they ARE better tasting. I really liked the ratatouille, but now that it's gone, the mac and tomato is equally good - if not even better. It is not a "boyardee" pasta dish.

I've had a few of the humanitarian meals, which are all vegetarian (to not offend any religious type) and find them to be quite good, too. Again, fewer preservatives may be the answer, as they have a shorter design shelf life.
I completely agree with you. I'd personally rather have a vegetarian dish vs anything else. I had a ratatouille last week and it was really good.

My personal favorite is the Vegetarian Taco Pasta.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Fri Oct 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Yup. Despite the somewhat odd name, the VTP is a really good one. I think it takes a lot like Chili Mac, but vegetarian.

I've told this before, but at my commissary, when the racks run a bit low of TOTM meals, the ones left are invariably VTP. I don't know if it's the Vegetarian in the name or the odd Taco Pasta, but nobody wants that meal, it seems. I scarf 'em up.

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:38 pm

SentientTootsieRoll wrote: I know I'm delving into "objective definitions" here, but the vegetarian MREs are not animal free, as much as I wish they were. They all contain milk, cheese and/or egg in them. Then again, they are vegetarian, not vegan. I don't see why they don't produce a vegan MRE. They already have vegetarian ones, so why not go full out? And yes, I've had some amazing vegan food so it is possible for them to make a vegan MRE that is enjoyable. I think people who compare it to sawdust either haven't actually tried it or are being overly dramatic in an attempt to create an anecdote.

Dude I so Agree, there should be a Vegan Option. Hence my user Profile name "WorkmanMRE" It is my brainchild to create a Vegan MRE with a "Happy Meal" version for Children also! The final Packaging wont be all ...."OOoooh look at me, im a flippin Vegan!" It wont even be labeled that way. If people want to read the back they will get educated quick. Otherwise it will be geared to everyones nutritional needs in mind, minus a few allergens. SOMEDAY! Till then im huinting down one of those 2016 MREs, that sounds BOMB!
Thanks for the Reply Brother!

I am a Vegan, I just bear down for educations sake...If its an emergency ill eat an ass of a dead cat. I have to try these MREs before Im stuck in a bunker with 2000lbs of dog food to eat. But since I have a badass veggie garden ill stick to vegan for the time being(or lacto vegetarian moonlighting) .Thats why I have to get my WORKMANMRE off the ground asap!

Look for me making an ass out of myself on youtube,
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:44 pm

:D[quote="RockyRaab"]I think the veggie MREs are tastier than the meaty ones. It could be due to fewer chemical preservatives, or just the producers trying harder. Either way, they ARE better tasting. I really liked the ratatouille, but now that it's gone, the mac and tomato is equally good - if not even better. It is not a "boyardee" pasta dish.

Thanks Brother,
Ill be looking for this one for sure! I appreciate the tip. The humanitarian aid I really want bad, kinds hard to find reliable source for one.
If anyone finds one on the cheap link it to me and ill buy it up! Hell if your holding im into trade!

Animal Free MRE
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:46 pm

RockyRaab wrote:Yup. Despite the somewhat odd name, the VTP is a really good one. I think it takes a lot like Chili Mac, but vegetarian.

I've told this before, but at my commissary, when the racks run a bit low of TOTM meals, the ones left are invariably VTP. I don't know if it's the Vegetarian in the name or the odd Taco Pasta, but nobody wants that meal, it seems. I scarf 'em up.
Thats the best part they are filling and nutritious...Im a Chef and I eat the hell out of them! Its my dirty bad habit (dairy/eggs). I thought that that MRE was particularly good!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:50 pm

wrote:
RockyRaab wrote:I think the veggie MREs are tastier than the meaty ones. It could be due to fewer chemical preservatives, or just the producers trying harder. Either way, they ARE better tasting. I really liked the ratatouille, but now that it's gone, the mac and tomato is equally good - if not even better. It is not a "boyardee" pasta dish.

I completely agree with you. I'd personally rather have a vegetarian dish vs anything else. I had a ratatouille last week and it was really good.

My personal favorite is the Vegetarian Taco Pasta.

Word , Taco and Rat!!! All the way.

And have you Noticed that "AmeriQual" is the best manufacturing company out of the lot! If you get there packaging it is always double wrapped and the entrees and the best made. If you get Ameriqual you have a winner entree at least!
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:26 pm

That's odd. I always rated them Sopakco, Wornick, and then Ameriqual in order of quality/flavor/etc. But tastes vary. Pipples is pipples, as they say!