Interesting find at Quabbin Reservoir

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
rationtin440

Interesting find at Quabbin Reservoir

Post by rationtin440 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:10 pm

On a recent trip to the Quabbin Reservoir here in MA, I went downstairs to the basement of the main building where the public restrooms are, and on my way back upstairs I noticed several boxes stacked in one of the vintage jail cells near the stairwell. The boxes had the all familiar civil defense markings on them and turned out to be rations dated from 1960. Now the interesting thing was that in addition to the crackers and candy there was also an open box that had small spam sized cans in it, and sure enough that is what it was although not commercially labled. I was surprised because I've only ever seen crackers and candy in "shelter supplies." wonder how good they'd be 50 years later! :oops: (heave!!)

Lifesaver

Re: Interesting find at Quabbin Reservoir

Post by Lifesaver » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:37 pm

I've been to Quabbin more than once, back in the day. I can visualize where you must have found these items. I'm amazed they are still there after all these years.

BTW, welcome to the board.
"That others might live."

rationtin440

Re: Interesting find at Quabbin Reservoir

Post by rationtin440 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:28 pm

thanks Lifesaver! actually the boxes were, i was recently told, being stored there until they got more stuff to get rid of so they could make one trip to landfill or wherever they take them, interesting.