Results from Menu C MRE (Large Post)

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Big Galloot

Re: Results from Menu C MRE (Large Post)

Post by Big Galloot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Quick question - what about the baked snack crackers? Were they there or missing?

I have three suggestions;

#1. Copy all of your correspondence with MREDepot to this website and let them know that you are doing it. MREDepot has proven themselves to be unconcerned with the occasional unhappy customer, but this site is seen by a lot of people who are the likely next customers. People are so much more polite in front of witnesses. BTW - you must be careful to make your requests for satisfaction fair and reasonable if you want the sympathies of the crowd to be on your side.

#2. I would make more of a point of comparing dollar value rather than calories. It comes down to a lawsuit they will need to demonstrate that the value of the substitutions was comparable to the components listed on their website. It has long been accepted that mail order businesses were justified in making substitutions, as long as the substitution met or exceeded the value of the substituted items and that they clearly stated substitutions might occur. In your case, the dollar difference between what you ordered and what you claimed to have received is substantial. I believe that this would legally constitute fraud, but I am not a lawyer.

#3 Contact the Attorney General of the state that the products were shipped from. Alert them that the product you received was substantially different from the product as represented by the seller. They can't know if you don't tell them.
You can pick your friends
and you can pick your nose
but you can't roll your friends into little green balls!

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:46 pm

The baked snack crackers were not there either...

I believe that the calorie comparison should be valid... This is the text directly on their site:
Each meal contains between 1350 to 1600 calories that are specifically formulated to fuel your body in high-stress situations like combat or survival.
I added up my calories and got 945. That is a substantial difference, esp. if you were relying on the additional calories. :?

The only email address I had on hand was Info@MREdepot.com

This is a copy of the email I sent:
I just opened up my first pouch of Menu C meals... Menu 8, Beef Patty with BBQ Sauce

Here is the breakdown of what I found:

Flame Broiled Beef Patty (200 cal)
Mexican Style Corn (150 cal)
Apple Jelly (70 cal)
Crackers (180 cal)
Shortbread Cookie (210 cal)
Beverage Powered Carb Electrolyte Lemon Lime (90 cal)
Accessory Packet A (45 cal)

This comes to 945 cal total... A far cry from 1350 - 1600 cal as advertised on your website...

I will be posting my findings on the MREinfo forum as it seems others have been having similiar issues.

I am quite disappointed in this, especially after paying quite a large shipping fee to get these MREs...

Sincerely,
I will most likely need to open all of the other packages to verify contents and calorie count and then vacuum seal them.

Not even sure what a valid request for satisfaction would be in this case? Refunding shipping costs since I obviously ate the meal as it was all that I had with me...

Will hold off on the Attorney General unless I get no response back from them.

Big Galloot

Post by Big Galloot » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:12 pm

Remember, I was just tossing out suggestions!!!!

You have a valid point, they did provide a specific range of caloric values and you have the right to expect no less than 1,350 calories per meal.

So, let's do the math. Kman estimates Menu 8 to be 1,400 calories, you calculated that you received 945, for a difference of 455 calories. That would mean that you received only 67.5% of the calories paid for. If we assume that a similar percentage is missing throughout the 12 meals in the case, you are short a total of 5,954 calories, based on Kman's estimate of 18,320 cal/case.

There is one last calculation. One pound of lard costs $ .20 and has 4,200 calories. So, if all you care about is calories, they owe you $ .28 worth of lard.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:30 pm

FYI guys - I just updated the Menu C and Civilian MRE Comparison pages here to reflect the menu/content problems with the currently-shipping Menu C MREs:

http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/menu-c-mres.html
http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/civ ... rison.html

housil

Post by housil » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:37 am

Well done!! :mrgreen:

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Thu Mar 19, 2009 7:25 am

kman wrote:FYI guys - I just updated the Menu C and Civilian MRE Comparison pages here to reflect the menu/content problems with the currently-shipping Menu C MREs:

http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/menu-c-mres.html
http://www.mreinfo.com/civilian/mre/civ ... rison.html
Excellent... Perhaps this will get some attention.
Last edited by hannonmc on Thu Mar 19, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big Galloot

Post by Big Galloot » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:37 am

kman wrote:FYI guys - I just updated the Menu C and Civilian MRE Comparison pages here to reflect the menu/content problems with the currently-shipping Menu C MREs:

Bravo!

wstrnsky

Post by wstrnsky » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:53 pm

:mrgreen: !!!! Lets get the information out there for people to make a better INFORMED buying DECISION!!!!! I have been speaking about this since October of 2008.

hannonmc

Post by hannonmc » Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:10 pm

Still no word from them on my email...

Stan_Humphries

Post by Stan_Humphries » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:20 pm

I just received seven (7) cases of "Menu C" MRE's today from MREdepot.com. It appears that at least some (if not all) of my shipment has a 02/16/09 mfg. date, rather than the 1/16/08 I thought I was purchasing (which is potentially a good thing in terms of shelf life).

I planned to inspect the contents of one full case and compare it to what was advertised. So I went to the product info page on MREdepot.com to print out the menu for comparison and found that they had changed the information some time after I started this thread on calguns.net. (I doubt my thread somehow prompted the change)

When I placed my order they advertise one menu set with "between 1350 and 1600 calories" (this is the link to the cached page). Now they estimate that each meal is between "1050 and 1500" calories.

I think it is great that MREdepot.com is making an attempt to accurately describe the product they are selling. However, I am very displeased at the fact that their new calorie count reflects the possible defects I was concerned about after reading about things here, as well as a discrepancy in the menu items I ordered.

Rather than go ahead and open up the entire case for inspection I decided I would rather give MREdepot.com the opportunity to take the shipment back. I left a message with Mr. Steve Soros asking him to arrange a full refund and return shipping for me.

I will let you know if I hear anything back, and if so, how well their customer service was. From what I have read so far on here, once you get in touch with him, Mr. Soros usually takes great care of his customers. I hope my experience won't be any different.