dead FRHs

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Richard w.

dead FRHs

Post by Richard w. » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:10 am

Busted out a 2008 case for brunch and I'm having trouble heating my pot roast.

Gone through 3 FRHs already and they only fizzle a little and get slightly warm. Marked Truetech, Inc.

I didn't think these ever went bad. Anyone know why?

Cortexmelon

Re: dead FRHs

Post by Cortexmelon » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:21 am

The chemicals that are in the pouches basically just sadly got inactive after so many years, and it does vary from year to year. I've noticed the first few years they came out in a cardboard sleeve in the bag stay good much more often, and those are 25 years old at this point.

The ones with just the small pouch seem to go bye bye because they just are sitting in the bag. They had heaters that came in its own sealed bag for Alittle bit too that also seem to last longer.

As with every item in an MRE, its all about storage conditions, how long since it's been produced, and what kind of style the heater is included.

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:44 am

You can often get one to revive if you use slightly salty water or add a pinch of salt to a near dud. Not always, but often. I keep an eye drops bottle of saltwater in my MRE lunch bag just in case. OR, I take the heating element out of the FRH, add the water plus a pinch of salt, shake to dissolve and then drop the heat pack back in. (I don't put the food pouch in the FRH) Then wrap the FRH and the food pouch(es) in a towel or into my insulated lunch bag.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

housil

Post by housil » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:03 pm

FRH also getting old and with their age becoming ineffective until they are "dead".

Richard w.

Post by Richard w. » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:36 pm

I'll try the salt tip. Thanks

The pot roast was so good, I'm going to eat spaghetti with meat sauce for dinner. My all-time favorite.

Haven't eaten one of these in years. Woke up with a craving for some reason.

DangerousDave

Post by DangerousDave » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:32 pm

If they are over 5 years old, just throw them out, or try to make some July 4th thingie's, or something. Waste of time. Good for fertilizer for smaller plants and melons and whatnot. :wink:
After the Chicken and the Egg, came the "Omelet"!

Richard w.

Post by Richard w. » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:57 pm

I've found that adding salt to the water is making my 2007/2008 frhs almost good as new.

Half the salt packet and I shake it up well before finding my "rock or something."

Thanks again for the tip!