"Erbswurst" retires

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
User avatar
housil
Moderator
Posts: 5145
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Contact:

"Erbswurst" retires

Post by housil » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:11 pm

The German "Knorr" company announces in Dec 2018, they discontinue after 129 years the production of the "Erbswurst". :cry:

https://www.swr.de/swraktuell/baden-wue ... u-100.html

norge
Posts: 1245
Joined: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:57 pm

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by norge » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:19 pm

you need to stock up before its gone....

we do the same thing here in Norway if something retires in the food world

Demolition_Man
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:02 am
Location: Germany

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by Demolition_Man » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:09 pm

I discovered the fact that it still exists only last year by pure chance. Unilever never put a cent into advertising it for newer generations, no wonder less and less people bought it. You can't rely on tradition alone on the food market.
From the Mud
Through the Blood
To the Green Fields beyond

User avatar
carlosflar
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by carlosflar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:16 pm

I is this a Germany only thing?
I would love to try it before it disappears...
Nobody makes and offbrand equivalent?
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

ViperGTS
Posts: 367
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2018 7:43 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by ViperGTS » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 pm

Its like a pea and sausage soup mix of sorts, right??. I dont know much about it.
"Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia, so they called us"
Video Reviews:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfB4TN ... bNi1TwQF5w

User avatar
housil
Moderator
Posts: 5145
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Contact:

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by housil » Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:50 pm

carlosflar wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:16 pm
I is this a Germany only thing?
I would love to try it before it disappears...
Nobody makes and offbrand equivalent?
They are some on Ebay.de, but prices are gone crazy. 5 pcs up to €27... (~$30) :shock:
https://www.ebay.de/i/273638393893?chn=ps

It´s a German thing. Founded back in 1867 (!) and used as the very first military "ration" in 1870 to the Prussian Army. In use for the last 129 years.
ViperGTS wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Its like a pea and sausage soup mix of sorts, right??. I dont know much about it.
Ja. Each "sausage" holds 6 compressed "tablet's", you dissolve one in 250ml (~ one cup) hot/boiling water that gives you a pea soup.

User avatar
wats6831
Posts: 539
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:59 pm
eBay name: MREmountain
Location: Idaho, USA
Contact:

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by wats6831 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:41 pm

housil wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:50 pm
carlosflar wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:16 pm
I is this a Germany only thing?
I would love to try it before it disappears...
Nobody makes and offbrand equivalent?
They are some on Ebay.de, but prices are gone crazy. 5 pcs up to €27... (~$30) :shock:
https://www.ebay.de/i/273638393893?chn=ps

It´s a German thing. Founded back in 1867 (!) and used as the very first military "ration" in 1870 to the Prussian Army. In use for the last 129 years.
ViperGTS wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:27 pm
Its like a pea and sausage soup mix of sorts, right??. I dont know much about it.
Ja. Each "sausage" holds 6 compressed "tablet's", you dissolve one in 250ml (~ one cup) hot/boiling water that gives you a pea soup.
I still have some that you sent me :D Thank you! I treasure it

User avatar
Smitty
Posts: 170
Joined: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:25 pm
Location: BC, Canada

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by Smitty » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:15 pm

Heartbreaking! I prep all my food for reenacting and that is always a treat. Though I’ve been know to have it for dinner at home. I’ve sent a message to Knorr expressing my heartbreak. Probably won’t change things, but hey, I had to try.

In any case, I’ve stocked up for the next 4 or so years.
All the best, Gents.

- I'm also making videos mainly for my own enjoyment, but hey, maybe you might want to check them out: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4-9gp ... C1dSyPX0w/

User avatar
carlosflar
Posts: 503
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:30 pm
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by carlosflar » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:14 am

Is it no longer for sale in supermarkets?
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

vespa
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:27 am
Location: England, United Kingdom.

Re: "Erbswurst" retires

Post by vespa » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:47 am

A smaller food company could get in the market and produce their own to sell.

Post Reply