2002 Pasta with Alfredo Sauce MRE Review

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
SentientTootsieRoll

2002 Pasta with Alfredo Sauce MRE Review

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Sun Aug 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Today I decided to try out a 2002 Pasta with Alfredo Sauce MRE. This is yet another menu that is long gone out of production and very few probably exist anymore. Let's start with the pictures!
20180810_122644.jpg
20180810_122657.jpg
20180810_122742.jpg
20180810_122805.jpg
20180810_122832.jpg
20180810_123010.jpg
20180810_123030.jpg
20180810_124017.jpg
20180810_124022.jpg
20180810_124029.jpg
As always, the first thing I do when opening an older MRE like this is I put the main entree(s) in the FRH since the older ones seem to take longer to heat up. In addition to adding a bit of salt to the FRHs, I've also found that giving them an adequate amount of oxygen helps the most. I just recently figured this out, go ahead and poke fun at me all you want. :mrgreen:

While that was heating up, I decided to prepare the iced tea and apple cider. Since the heat has been somewhat crazy in my part of the world, a hot drink just didn't sound too desirable so I decided to add cold water to the apple cider and tea. Both of the drink powders were still good, nothing was crystallized, oxidized or anything of the sort.

I then went for the peanuts. I noticed the packaging wasn't vacuum sealed like they are in current production MREs. I don't know if that happened as a result of age or if they just never vacuum sealed them. They smelled a bit sour. Anyone here who has tried old peanuts knows what the smell is like. I decided to try some nonetheless and while they were beginning to turn, they actually didn't taste too bad. I did finish them.

The pound cake tasted just like you'd expect to find in a current MRE. This one was a tad bit dry probably due to age. The crackers and peanut butter were still fine. I've yet to come across bad peanut butter or crackers. I really don't like this combination because of how thirst provoking it is. I think the crackers go best with jam or even cheese spread. With these older MREs, cheese spread is the least desired option. The fruit cocktail was starting to turn brown as you may be able to see in the last picture. It didn't taste exactly fresh either, but it was okay.

And last but certainly not least, was the pasta with Alfredo sauce. To be honest, it looked better than I expected. It even smelled better than expected. I've always been put off by Alfredo sauce simply by the way it looks. I took a few bites of this and it actually wasn't half bad! The pasta was well done and I like the amount of vegetables they put in it! I think the vegetables did the presentation some justice. Those of you playing along at home might think that some sort of white meat such as chicken would have made a great addition to this meal. If you consider yourself closer to the carnivore side of the spectrum, I can see that being a fine addition. However, I personally think that would have been too much. If I had to compare it to something, I guess the best thing I would choose is something like canned soup you can find at the grocery store. If there's any option that has pasta with vegetables and perhaps an Alfredo sauce, I'd be willing to bet that it tastes very similar to this.

That well and truly concludes this review! Thanks for reading!
Last edited by SentientTootsieRoll on Sun Aug 12, 2018 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

WorkmanMRE

Re: 2002 Pasta with Alfredo Sauce MRE Review

Post by WorkmanMRE » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Very cool ration. Excellent review. I can taste it now. That's another one to add to the vegetarian mre list.
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

WorkmanMRE

Post by WorkmanMRE » Sun Aug 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Very cool ration. Excellent review. I can taste it now. That's another one to add to the vegetarian mre list.
Cheers,
WorkmanMRE

and
Animal Free MRE
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC39Adn ... subscriber
-----------------------------------------------------------

Cortexmelon

Post by Cortexmelon » Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:14 pm

I guess i'm in the minority, I thought the Pasta with Alfredo "Style" Sauce was one of the worse ones i've had yet still haha. Maybe something went bad with mine i guess?