SOS Emergency Food Ration review

Reviews of Civilian MREs (Sure-Pak, aPack, etc.) as well as other civilian ready-to-eat food
MR.EMAN
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: WA state

SOS Emergency Food Ration review

Post by MR.EMAN » Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:40 am

Not sure if this has been done already, but here's my take.

I got a few of these recently and wanted to try one, as there doesn't seem to be any real reviews online. They come in 2400(6 bars @ 400 cal ea) and 3600 cal(9 bars @ 400cal ea). They state a 5 year shelf life, and mine were MFG 03/08.

The bars are individually wrapped, have a oily coating on them and took some effort in releasing them from the packet. With the 9 bar pack it'll feed 3 people for 1 day 1200cal ea.

The texture and consistency is not unlike the MRE oatmeal block. Tastes similar to a coconut shortbread cookie, but more dense with a bit of waxiness.

In a survival situation these would be pretty damn good, even eating one as I type this , it makes for a tasty snack. Not bad at all.
Attachments
002.JPG
003.JPG

SoFloAuthor
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: SoFlo
Contact:

Post by SoFloAuthor » Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:14 pm

Get back to me after you've eaten them for three days straight with nothing else on the menu..........they might be good for the first time taste test.....they're not my pick for disaster rations unless theres nothing else to eat....

To steal a quote from the board: "When you're hungry anything tastes good"
Check out my new preparedness guide: What To Do 'til The Cavalry Comes:
A Family Guide to Preparedness in 21st Century America AVAILABLE NOW at Barnes & Noble, http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 1192&itm=1

User avatar
MCIera
Moderator
Posts: 560
Joined: Thu May 10, 2007 3:30 pm

Post by MCIera » Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:48 pm

Isn't that pretty much the purpose of these types of rations? Isn't it's purpose to provide some source of nourishment if there is no other food available?

The most misleading information that is popularly deployed is from those who market these products as a substitute for shelf stable foods that people should actually have in preparation of an emergency. What's worse are those "experts" who endorse them and the commercial "emergency kits" as "better than nothing" rather than just telling their students outright that a failure to prepare simple items is just inexcusable. As far as I'm concerned, I think it's deplorable that organizations like local Red Cross chapters choose to sell such goods just for the purpose of raising funds and misleading people into complatency.
SoFloAuthor wrote:.........they might be good for the first time taste test.....they're not my pick for disaster rations unless theres nothing else to eat....

SoFloAuthor
Posts: 68
Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:14 pm
Location: SoFlo
Contact:

Post by SoFloAuthor » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:26 am

MCIera wrote: The most misleading information that is popularly deployed is from those who market these products as a substitute for shelf stable foods that people should actually have in preparation of an emergency.

What's worse are those "experts" who endorse them and the commercial "emergency kits" as "better than nothing" rather than just telling their students outright that a failure to prepare simple items is just inexcusable.
I agree with you 100%....which is why I responded to the OP....It's well known I'm all about a prepredness pantry of normal foods backed up with a good supply of "self heating, shelf stable emergency meals"...

In my seminars I ask questions....

"If it's NOT OK (and illegal) to not have food and water for your family and children on a normal day.....what is it called when you don't have food and water for them after a disaster?"

The look I always get is ....."deer in the headlights".
Check out my new preparedness guide: What To Do 'til The Cavalry Comes:
A Family Guide to Preparedness in 21st Century America AVAILABLE NOW at Barnes & Noble, http://search.barnesandnoble.com/bookse ... 1192&itm=1

User avatar
kman
Site Admin
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by kman » Sun Jun 08, 2008 8:43 pm

Nice review and pics, MR.EMAN. That reminds me of a case of Mainstay (I think) emergency ration bars that I still have in my supply closet. I think they're from 1996 or so but they were still good the last time I tried the. Unfortunately, they come in those big 3600 calories packs so whenever I want to try one, I have eat a bunch of them.

And no, I don't actually keep these around for emergencies. I mainly keep them because I can't stand to throw anything away. :-)

MR.EMAN
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: WA state

Post by MR.EMAN » Mon Jun 09, 2008 1:17 am

SoFloAuthor wrote:Get back to me after you've eaten them for three days straight with nothing else on the menu..........they might be good for the first time taste test.....they're not my pick for disaster rations unless theres nothing else to eat....

To steal a quote from the board: "When you're hungry anything tastes good"

My post could have been a review for pulled pork, cheeseburgers, ritz crackers, beluga caviar, etc. etc. and your reply would be just as valid. I agree that these are not the be all end all to survival or disaster planning. If I had to eat these for 3 days straight then I would likely be in a situation where I did not plan for anything(in which case I would deserve to starve), or where bringing ones pantry would not be doable.

I do not have (or claim to have) the knowledge or experience to advise others in what does or does not have a place in ones preparedness stores, but I do realize that one needs to have a variety of provisions. MRE's and yes IMO even these have their place, should one feel it so.

I posted this, as I figure there are those here that will eat pretty much anything, and perhaps a lurker reading this is looking for ideas for their own needs. I was just offering my 2c on what one could expect. No less. No more.

8)
kman wrote: Nice review and pics, MR.EMAN. That reminds me of a case of Mainstay (I think) emergency ration bars that I still have in my supply closet. I think they're from 1996 or so but they were still good the last time I tried the. Unfortunately, they come in those big 3600 calories packs so whenever I want to try one, I have eat a bunch of them.

And no, I don't actually keep these around for emergencies. I mainly keep them because I can't stand to throw anything away. :-)
Thanks! I too have a similar scenario, but the missus often questions my sanity for buying stuff like this from time to time. Gotta show her that eventually it'll get eaten :)

User avatar
kman
Site Admin
Posts: 4328
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by kman » Mon Jun 09, 2008 7:44 am

MR.EMAN wrote:My post could have been a review for pulled pork, cheeseburgers, ritz crackers, beluga caviar, etc. etc. and your reply would be just as valid. I agree that these are not the be all end all to survival or disaster planning. If I had to eat these for 3 days straight then I would likely be in a situation where I did not plan for anything(in which case I would deserve to starve), or where bringing ones pantry would not be doable.
You make a good point about eating any one thing for three days straight and getting real sick of it.

I think part of what SoFloAuthor was trying to say is that those survival bars are intended to be enough food to survive on as your sole source of nutrition. But he was just warning that even though they may serve that purpose, you won't enjoy the experience. You might enjoy cheeseburgers more (yummm....canned cheeseburgers from Germany!) but cheeseburgers definitely don't pretend to have enough or the right balance of nutrition to survive alone on them.

MR.EMAN
Posts: 242
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2008 11:06 pm
Location: WA state

Post by MR.EMAN » Mon Jun 09, 2008 11:32 am

kman wrote: I think part of what SoFloAuthor was trying to say is that those survival bars are intended to be enough food to survive on as your sole source of nutrition. But he was just warning that even though they may serve that purpose, you won't enjoy the experience. You might enjoy cheeseburgers more (yummm....canned cheeseburgers from Germany!) but cheeseburgers definitely don't pretend to have enough or the right balance of nutrition to survive alone on them.
Agreed. I just wanted to clear up that I was not endorsing these as being anything other than what they are, rather just a way to pass along to others my experience to anyone who might have bought or seen them for sale.

He also makes great points for the need to balance ones stock, and to ensure that the family is provided for in the event SHTF.

Would love to try one of the burgers just for kicks. Would also be interesting to get Andrew Zimmern from bizarre foods to do a shelf stable food show. :D

Mkim340518
Posts: 214
Joined: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:40 pm
Location: East Coast U.S.A.
Contact:

I tested the Datrex emergency rations

Post by Mkim340518 » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:21 pm

Hey guys, I have had my Datrex ration for about a year now and I ate about three bars. They are also individually wrapped in a thin plastic wrapper with a oily coating. They also have the light butter-coconut taste, crumbly texture, a weird fatty ingredient that coats your mouth and it's not thirst provoking.

They come in a red, blue or white outer package that designates the number of individual bars inside the packages.


I keep the rest of the Datrex rations in the car and they seem to fair well in all types of weather.
I definitely DO NOT recommend eating these unless they are your last resort.
These types of rations were originally made for pilots and boat crews for over water survival rations.
They were made to give your a fast, quick boost in calories that last throughout the day with careful rationing.

I would suggest that you try one but, definitely don't rely on these rats for substantial sustenance for a period of time.

bishopmarine
Posts: 423
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2007 6:50 pm
Location: virginia

Post by bishopmarine » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:44 pm

i have several of these type rations not this particular brand but i think for the most part they are all very similar. i would not want to eat them for five days straight but if there comes a time where its all i have to eat for five days i will be very thankful i have them. i believe keeping diverse stock. the majority of my survival food is just beans, pasta and rice vacuum sealed and stored in buckets. second most plentiful food i have is store bought canned goods. i know that if i have to take off on foot i have a pack loaded with seven seas and mainstay bars that will sustain me for a while. i have a katadyn water filter in there for water. it gives me great peace of mind having that little backpack ready to go at any time.
"Do not attack the First Marine Division. Leave the yellowlegs alone. Strike the American Army."
Orders given to Communist troops in the Korean War;
shortly afterward, the Marines were ordered
to not wear their khaki leggings.

Post Reply