Erbswurst

Buying, selling, and trading rations
BigMark

Erbswurst

Postby BigMark » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:04 pm

Anyone know where I can get a tube of this in the good ol' USA?

Any of our German friends have a shelf life on this stuff? I can't find any good solid info on it except that it exists, shipping is expensive from Germany and no one seems to sell it here.
Attachments
mreinfo.jpg
Pea soup sausage

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 8:43 pm

This guy has it on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0205300858

It's $3.50 Buy-it-Now plus $12.80 for shipping 1.1 pounds to the US. Maybe you can make a deal with him for a larger quantity.

dirtbag

Postby dirtbag » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:46 pm

http://17thdivision.tripod.com/rationso ... e/id4.html
I thought it was sausage...
It's soup !
Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Tue Jan 22, 2008 11:09 pm

I thought it was sausage, too. Then I ran this German Wikipedia entry through Babelfish:

http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erbswurst

Babelfished: http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfis ... fErbswurst

Warning...Babelfish is about to seriously mangle the German language:
Hereditary sausage

Hereditary sausage is one the oldest industrially manufactured Instantgerichte. Boiled up in water, within a short time a saemige pea soup can be made of it. In addition the pieces of portion are crushed, dissolved in cold water and cooked some minutes.

The portion tablets wound traditionally into a greaseproof paper role consist of pea flour, cattle fat, degreased bacon, salt, bulbs and spices. Today is the composition added something changed - are added still taste amplifiers, flavour, yeast excerpt and further.

The hereditary sausage was developed 1867 of the cook and canned goods manufacturer Johann Heinrich Green mountain made of Berlin. It sold its invention soon (for probably 100,000 Marks) to the Prussian state, which distributed it starting from 1870 in the French-German war - first as "iron ration" - at its soldiers. Had preceded attempts of the war Ministry, to which soldiers were boarded with normal service over six weeks exclusively with hereditary sausage and bread. Established with outbreak of the war on public expenses a factory, in which 1700 workers produced first daily seven tons, later up to 65, altogether were it 4000 to 5000 tons.

From 1889 on transferred the brothers Knorr to Heilbronn, which already manufactured Knorr Haferschleim "and the" patent savings soup Victoria "in their factory", the production of the Instantsuppe. As cheap, nutritious, almost for an unlimited period durable and court which can be prepared simply it generally one liked and belonged also soon to the basic equipment of wanderern, mountain climbers and expeditions. Hereditary sausage is offered to today under the mark Knorr - in the meantime belonging to Unilever -.

Stef

Postby Stef » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:25 am

Funny, I've never seen that before!
We eat a lot of pea soup, very often Knorr pea soup but it's powder soup soup in flat packs: http://knorr.pourtoutvousdire.com/soupes_party/default.aspx?menu=20&idp=23&range=203&catid=110
In principio erat spamum

housil

Re: Erbswurst

Postby housil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:42 am

BigMark wrote:Any of our German friends have a shelf life on this stuff? I can't find any good solid info on it except that it exists, shipping is expensive from Germany and no one seems to sell it here.

Me.. me..me..me... :!:

This is "Erbswurst"

not a sausage (wurst) but a pea soup/stew concentrate. Mixed with water and warmed up gives you a delicious stew/soup.
The Erbswurst was invented 1867 by the Berlin cook Johann Heinrich Grüneberg. Just in time for the Prussian troops went to German/French war 1870/71. So "Erbswurst" is the first "combat ration"

The self life of the civilain Erbswurst you showed is at least one year.

But there is also a military Bundeswehr one available:

If you don´t get it all over US, I will add you some to my "shipment" for KMAN and all others if kman agrees and can disturb it :?:

German_EPA
eBay name: advenutre-world-shop

Postby German_EPA » Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:57 am

there is really nothing that housil dont have...

military and civilian food :lol:

even "erbseneintopf" from the bundeswehr...
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
MILITARY/OUTDOOR/CAMPING/EMERGENCY-FOOD
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: My shop: http://www.adventure-world.de

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

kman
Site Admin

Postby kman » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:14 am

I'm not surprised that Housil has this...after all, name almost any German food and he probably has it in his supplies... :-) But I'm absolutely amazed that he has *cases* of it!

housil

Postby housil » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:33 am

kman wrote:I'm not surprised that Housil has this...after all, name almost any German food and he probably has it in his supplies... :-) But I'm absolutely amazed that he has *cases* of it!

:oops:

...but just a couple of cases.

All Bundeswehr (field) kitchen cases of fried pork w/ sauce, goulash w/ gravy, meat balls w/gravy, turkey w/gravy etc...
Each case contains 20 cans of 825g.

All military rations ;-)
Last edited by housil on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jubifahrer

Postby jubifahrer » Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:17 pm

This is a very old EPA Entree, you can also find it in a 1969 Ration:

bye

jubifahrer

Return to “Buy/Sell/Trade”