MREviews: Menu 23 Chicken Pesto Pasta

Reviews and taste-tests of any MREs from 1981-present
MRECivvy

MREviews: Menu 23 Chicken Pesto Pasta

Post by MRECivvy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:27 pm

Let's see what's on the menu today...
1.jpg
Alright, Menu 23 Chicken Pesto Pasta! Let's open this little bundle of goodies.
2.jpg
Well, at least I know I'm getting some Patriotic Sugar Cookies! Let's lay all this out:
3.jpg
Nice! M'kay, let's heat up the main and plate everything else. I'm gonna save the accessory packet. I've had Coffee Instant Type III before, so I'll review it some other time.
4.jpg
Okay, who in the name of sanity thought it was okay to put a beverage powder in a packet this large? It's excessive! I've had the lemon-lime beverage before and it came in a smaller packet. There's no excuse to waste this much packaging on a beverage.
5.jpg
It is very orange. Let's set this aside for now.
6.jpg
Here's everything all laid out onto a plate. Time to start with the main.
7.jpg
The pesto seems almost brown. Not sure if it was off or if it just comes like that, but at least the sauce is flavorful. The chicken tastes fine, and the noodles are just sort of there. They're not particularly flavorful but they do add a nice texture.
9.jpg
Now for the Italian-style breadsticks. I do like how they had garlic and onion in the bread so that they didn't just taste like regular MRE snack bread. The cheese spread is, of course, liquid gold, but I would've preferred jalapeno cheese spread. It always beats out the regular kind.
10.jpg
The orange drink tastes vaguely of orange. It said to add 12 ounces of water but I think that was too much. It definitely should've been stronger than that.
11.jpg
Dessert time! Time to try the Patriotic Sugar Cookies and the apple turnover.
12.jpg
The shapes are cute and they taste like Keebler sugar cookies. They're very good. It's just a shame that rattling around in the packaging has broken most of them apart. The only ones I could make out were the torch, the American flag, and Uncle Sam's hat.
13.jpg
Now for the apple turnover. Maybe I should've stuck it in the FRH to heat it up too, but I didn't think about it.
You are my rock or something.

MRECivvy

Re: MREviews: Menu 23 Chicken Pesto Pasta

Post by MRECivvy » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:30 pm

14.jpg
The turnover tastes like artificial apple. The rest of the bread tastes like the cinnamon raisin swirl bread you can get at the grocery store, but the fake apple taste just brings the overall taste down. Meh, I'll still finish it.
14.jpg
All in all, it was a pretty filling meal. I dunno why, but I've never had much luck with FRHs keeping the main very hot. I seem to have a problem where even if I keep it in the FRH for like 15 minutes, there's still cold spots in the main. Maybe I'll boil the bag next time.

Overall? Pretty good. If I was keeping score, I'd say 3 out of 5.
Attachments
15.jpg
You are my rock or something.

carlosflar

Post by carlosflar » Sun Mar 10, 2019 2:07 am

Nice review! The pesto definitely looks weird, it's supposed to he light green, but I guess as long as it's enjoyable it's doing its job!
I have Spanish rations permanently, feel free to ask :!:
Interested in: International rations,medical items, emergency kits and other
YT channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/carlosflar

rareauldmealtimes

Post by rareauldmealtimes » Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:18 pm

Yes, agreed great review! However that pesto and apple turn over looks sad! Hey as long as you ate it all, the military considers that a success! Even with the brown pesto :D I totally agree that the beverage bases IMO only need about 1/2-2/3 what it calls for if you want any sort of real flavor.

... I've still yet to try those Italian breads but they sure look like that White Wheat Snack Bread that I'm not a fan of. Doughy, Flour, Overly Chewy situation.

Great to see another Oklahomie in here!
"While he longed for old.... life stuck him deep in the brand new."
Rations Reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCifo6r ... mKrK5dyXCQ

ViperGTS

Post by ViperGTS » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:09 pm

Great review! Ive had that menu a few times and the basil really smacks you in the face. Most people seem to like the breadsticks, but honestly they are not my favorite. Dessert was the best part...i love herbs/spices but i found this menu herb overpowered, which is probably a good thing for our boys that have to eat these things...not by choice

Edit, i had no green pesto in any
"Little ducks, there's trouble in Russia, so they called us"
New to videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfB4TN ... bNi1TwQF5w