Another Cool Article

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Salty Croc
eBay name: Saltycroccollectible

Another Cool Article

Post by Salty Croc » Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:28 pm

Hey All,

Just found another Cool article. This one C Rations. Quick read with some good pics.

https://www.defense.gov/explore/story/A ... ld-war-ii/

See ya in a few days 😁

Vince

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Re: Another Cool Article

Post by mikeoverhere » Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:17 pm

"Troop feedback on C-Rations often went unheeded" LOL!

I actually really liked C-Rats and they bring back fond memories. I never served, only ate them as a civilian. They were also frequently issued to us when I was in the Boy Scouts.

Cool little article.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

RockyRaab

Post by RockyRaab » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:07 pm

I ate MCIs and the then-new LRRP meals back in '71. At that time, MCIs still came with cigarettes, which I either traded off or gave to Vietnamese. LRRPs were better than MCIs, but took a long time to rehydrate or they were like eating gravel mixed with mud. A common method for heating MCI cans was to light a golfball-sized lump of C-4 explosive for fuel. It was completely safe to do so, counterintuitively. C-4 burned better and cleaner than the official issued heater fuels.

I was perhaps one of the few who didn't hate the limas beans and ham. It's a combination I've cooked and enjoyed both before and after those days, so the canned version was just fine by me.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

blue87fj60

Post by blue87fj60 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:00 am

I ate issued C rats in the National Guard and in basic training at Ft Benning in early 80’s. They were probably the last of stock I’m guessing. No cigs that I remember.