Customs Destroyed my Croatian Ration!

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
CakeZ

Re: Customs Destroyed my Croatian Ration!

Post by CakeZ » Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:20 pm

Joey61301 wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:47 am
Wow that's quite scary, where else can we obtain foreign rations legally.
I'm really hoping someone entrepreneurial finds out how to get an appropriate import permit, bring in large volumes, and do whatever the USDA wants to make those imports legal. If its even possible.

For now, I look for domestic sales.

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm

The problem is the products have to be inspected by USDA or have the certification to be exported to the US. Not only do I doubt military suppliers in foreign countries would bother with getting it, some rations are put together with components made from different sources so it would involve multiple certifications/inspectors. USDA doesn't even seem make an exception for Canadian IMPs that have products labeled USDA approved (cause they were made here), as discussed in ForeignMRE's video from when they got visited. I have the same hopes CakeZ but I just don't think it will happen. I think the key change necessary is to make the USDA treat products imported for personal consumption not treated as commercial. There are already rules and exceptions for personal consumption but for some reason, they ignore them. It would take expensive legal action to enact that change, or perhaps Congressional representatives/senators.

ForeignMRE did say they were going to look into getting the necessary importation permits and see what they could do but the shipments must still be properly marked by the shipper, and the shipper must have the USDA inspection certification.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"

CakeZ

Post by CakeZ » Wed Jul 10, 2019 12:55 am

mikeoverhere wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 1:38 pm
The problem is the products have to be inspected by USDA or have the certification to be exported to the US. Not only do I doubt military suppliers in foreign countries would bother with getting it, some rations are put together with components made from different sources so it would involve multiple certifications/inspectors. USDA doesn't even seem make an exception for Canadian IMPs that have products labeled USDA approved (cause they were made here), as discussed in ForeignMRE's video from when they got visited. I have the same hopes CakeZ but I just don't think it will happen. I think the key change necessary is to make the USDA treat products imported for personal consumption not treated as commercial. There are already rules and exceptions for personal consumption but for some reason, they ignore them. It would take expensive legal action to enact that change, or perhaps Congressional representatives/senators.

ForeignMRE did say they were going to look into getting the necessary importation permits and see what they could do but the shipments must still be properly marked by the shipper, and the shipper must have the USDA inspection certification.
I agree on your latter point. Here's to hoping.

But I'd totally understand why it might never pass - what with Mad Cow and the like. But still, man. Makes me feel like a big ol sigh.

mikeoverhere
eBay name: mikeoverhere

Post by mikeoverhere » Wed Jul 10, 2019 3:40 pm

Me too. I was into this hobby a decade ago and left it as there was little access to reviews and more foreign rations. Then earlier this very year, I got back into it. So many rations now available to me. So many great reviewers! Then USDA came along and totally rained on the parade. Suddenly I am cut off and they are dropping the hammer on our entire hobby and community. Companies and private sellers/buyers both shut down and threatened with prosecution. WHY!!!!?!?!! Why now!? I just got back in, and they yank me out just months later! This was one of the things that made me happy and staved off some of my personal depression. Naturally so many people enjoying it that the government felt they had to jump in and crush us all. I feel they are being overly heavy handed and bypassing some of their own rules. Private consumption is exempted, but they ignore that and treat everyone like a commercial importer! That's just so wrong. I wish I was rich or influential so I could fight to change this.
Socrate's last words: "I drank what?"