Case of 1982 MREs: RAFCO and Cadillac Products

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
NuWorldMann

Case of 1982 MREs: RAFCO and Cadillac Products

Postby NuWorldMann » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:40 am

I finally cut the bands on a case of RIght Away Foods 1982s and found something peculiar..maybe. First of all, I was lucky to find a menu #12 Beef, ground with spiced sauce!
IMG_1214.JPG

But what threw me (besides that ultra classic MRE) were the menu #1 Pork patties. They were made by Cadillac Products in Sterling Heights, Michigan..plus the "dehydrated" designation is omitted (not so with the menu #3 Beef patties dehydrated)..
IMG_1267.JPG

IMG_1215.JPG

Who knows if it's some rarity, but it is pretty cool to find a 1982 MRE menu from a completely different vendor than indicated on the case..not to mention that it's leaving out the freeze dried moniker. I have a couple 1970s LRPs made by Cadillac Foods, just strange to find it here. Perhaps they were the only vendor to produce this menu in 1982? Any insights are definitely appreciated!

I documented a review of the menu #5 Beef stew which was very interesting and I'll post it when I have the opportunity! I will say all components were fresh and delicious!..except the fd fruit mix, and I'd venture to say there was a flaw in the freeze drying at the time of manufacture. So weird that the main, nutcake and everything else was 100% perfect and that wasn't. The packaging was loose but otherwise perfect. Anyhow, that's a review for another time, hopefully very soon! In the meanwhile, here's some pictures of the case..enjoy!
IMG_1209.JPG

IMG_1210.JPG

IMG_1211.JPG

IMG_1264.JPG

IMG_1265.JPG

SentientTootsieRoll

Re: Case of 1982 MREs: RAFCO and Cadillac Products

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:52 am

Nice find! I'd say any MRE I - V finds are incredibly rare. That is very odd indeed. Maybe the company who printed the boxes shipped a lot of them to the wrong company, but that's purely speculation. I've never seen nor heard of that happening.

I'm glad the beef stew held up. I've had a few beef stew MREs from the 80s-90s within the last year or so and all were good. Last year, I had one from 2005 that actually went bad. Weird how the beef stew that was 20 years newer was the one that gave up the ghost.

That's really too bad that the FD fruit didn't make it. Those things are arguably the pinnacle of these old MREs. I had a 1982 MRE (I don't recall which menu) and the FD fruit had gone bad as well. It was so flexible, you could literally bend it. I took bite of it and it wasn't flavorful at all. I'm sure you could get away with actually eating it and still feel fine but it's in no way the same.

NuWorldMann

Postby NuWorldMann » Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:23 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:Nice find! I'd say any MRE I - V finds are incredibly rare. That is very odd indeed. Maybe the company who printed the boxes shipped a lot of them to the wrong company, but that's purely speculation. I've never seen nor heard of that happening.

I'm glad the beef stew held up. I've had a few beef stew MREs from the 80s-90s within the last year or so and all were good. Last year, I had one from 2005 that actually went bad. Weird how the beef stew that was 20 years newer was the one that gave up the ghost.

That's really too bad that the FD fruit didn't make it. Those things are arguably the pinnacle of these old MREs. I had a 1982 MRE (I don't recall which menu) and the FD fruit had gone bad as well. It was so flexible, you could literally bend it. I took bite of it and it wasn't flavorful at all. I'm sure you could get away with actually eating it and still feel fine but it's in no way the same.

It's an amazing experience coming across Mark I MREs, especially when they're totally edible. Here's a picture of the cherry nut cake, beef stew, crackers and the fruit (which smelled like the worst possible sweaty gym socks!)
IMG_1219.JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

IMG_1248.JPG

IMG_1247.JPG

cavguy

Postby cavguy » Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:49 am

Very jealous of the nut cake! Those things are the best IMO!

NuWorldMann

Postby NuWorldMann » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:42 am

cavguy wrote:Very jealous of the nut cake! Those things are the best IMO!

It's crazy how one component can be perfect, completely edible, while another one that's literally sitting on top of the excellent item can be utter shite lol! My guess is that some moisture remained after the freeze drying process causing it to be molded and a smelly biohazard. The packaging was immaculate with no pinholes so I can't think of another rational explanation :?

Return to “MREs”