Meal, Quick Serve 6 Man

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
cavguy

Meal, Quick Serve 6 Man

Postby cavguy » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:19 am

Check out this auction on Ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1961-Quick-Serve-Meal-6-Man-Military-Army-Rations-w-Water-Heater-/401422669638?hash=item5d76a7d746:g:xgUAAOSwjc5Z35Er

Super rare ration here. Too bad the price is astronomical! This is what Natick has to say about it; check out the bottom part I bolded too;

DESIGNED:
To contribute to maximum mobility by providing a simplified means of supplying hot meals to dispersed troops over extended periods, without refrigeration, special food preparation, or trained food service personnel. It was required to be suitable as a sole diet for over 120 days, with any three meals comprising a complete ration and as well as for interchangeability with other packaged meals to provide a complete ration as the tactical logistical conditions permit. Throughout its developmental history the Quick-Serve Meal was designed in several module sizes; initial requirements for 25- and 5-man modules were revised to call for 25- and 6-man configurations. After highly successful service testing of the latter two, the Army revised its module size requirement to call for a 6-man configuration only. As four 6-man modules were packed in each shipping case, this assembly was considered capable of meeting a wide variety of contingencies. Two-man and one-man modules, without food service components,
were designed for the Air Force for use.in high altitude simulator studies at Brooks Air Force Base.
The ration was intended for use in both the support 'section and in combat areas when the tactical situation precludes the preparation and serving of kitchen prepared meals. It also offered potential for use in early days of emergencies, when a balanced B Ration cannot be made available.
NUMBER OF MENUS: 21 (seven each for breakfast, dinner, and supper)
PRESENT STATUS:
Although this ration was highly acceptable in field tests, it was never adopted because of a higher echelon decision that it was not required.
RATION/MEAL CONSISTS OF:
Types of components: Primarily precooked and freeze-dried foods. Intermediate moisture canned cakes and canned bread were also included in the meals.· The meals included expendable food service equipment (can openers, paper cups, plastic scoops, spoons and knives, paper plates, paddles), cigarettes, matches, toilet paper, wet paper cleansing towels, and instruction sheets. Unit packages of freeze-dried food served also as rehydration and serving vessels. Components such as apple sauce, instant soups and juices, which expanded upon rehydration, were packaged in bellows type reconstitution cartons. An aluminum insert placed inside the fiberboard carton to serve as an intermediate container for each meal module functioned as a water heating vessel.
PREPARED BY:
No trained food service personnel required to prepare the meal.
REQUIREMENTS FOR PREP ARA TION:
Water: Hot and cold water were required. Normal supply of drinking water must be available.
Equipment: No equipment other than a water heating device was needed for preparation and consumption. All necessary mess gear was expendable and packaged with the meals; simple directions for preparation were included.
ADVANTAGES:
Meals were nutritionally balanced, and three meals constituted a complete ration and could be used interchangeably with other packaged meals. · All components for the meal and its preparation, except water and a water-heating device, were included in the meal package. High a9ceptability of dehydrated components was demonstrated, even on repeated consumption. Other advantages include: ease of preparation, resistance to damage from rough handling and air drop, long shelf life, light weight, and resistance to insect and rodent penetration.
DISADVANTAGES:
No commercial base for hermetically sealed aluminum insert.
COMMENTS:
Capable of airdrop delivery with 75% recovery and all means of transportation including
animal pack and man-carry.
An accessory packet containing cigarettes, matches, toilet paper, chewing gum, and weapons
cleaning patches was included with each meal.
This ration (particularly the 2-Man module) was the immediate forerunner of the Food Packet, Long Range Patrol. The Quick-Serve Meal, however, was developed when freeze-drying of foods was in its infancy. Meat components, pasta, legume, or vegetable components and sauce components were all produced separately. While this resulted in economies in space and production, it put limitations on rehydration, requiring hot water and a soak of 20 minutes. Meat items were freeze-dried and other items were air-dried. Today the complete Long Range Patrol entrees, such as spaghetti with meat sauce, are processed as one item.

Eistee

Re: Meal, Quick Serve 6 Man

Postby Eistee » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:34 am

Nice catch Cavguy, looks interesting

Treesuit

Postby Treesuit » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:12 pm

Aside from the outrageous price, I'd be curious to see what's inside the box. I don't think we have seen anything like that before on the forum. That and the package is in near perfect condition.

I'm also wondering if it is constructed like the 10-in-1 or 5-in-1 ration before its time.

steve1989
eBay name: :D

Postby steve1989 » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks so much for this post and information Cavguy! Wats sent me the link and heads up which i really appreciated.
The Meal Quick Serve is a nearly non existent ration by this point. Never seen one for sale. So i offered $650 + 40 and he accepted. I never mind being broke because of a ration. Now it will be shared and enjoyed for years to come. I plan to catalogue every single ration ever made as my life's work. This is just another piece of the puzzle.

700 bucks for this isn't too bad really..considering what it is.

This reminds me, if anyone here has items like this or Long Life Ration Packet, prototype MREs, etc etc. Consider me, i may have a $ offer for you.
Attachments
000256.jpg
What is the oldest thing you've ever eaten?

BTemple
eBay name: btem9257

Postby BTemple » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:13 pm

steve1989 wrote:Thanks so much for this post and information Cavguy! Wats sent me the link and heads up which i really appreciated.
The Meal Quick Serve is a nearly non existent ration by this point. Never seen one for sale. So i offered $650 + 40 and he accepted. I never mind being broke because of a ration. Now it will be shared and enjoyed for years to come. I plan to catalogue every single ration ever made as my life's work. This is just another piece of the puzzle.

700 bucks for this isn't too bad really..considering what it is.

This reminds me, if anyone here has items like this or Long Life Ration Packet, prototype MREs, etc etc. Consider me, i may have a $ offer for you.

That's awesome Steve! Can't wait to see you chronicle the history of an item as rare as this!
In the immortal words of President Harrison Ford, Air Force One: Peace is not the absence of war... it is the presence of justice.

cavguy

Postby cavguy » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:00 pm

Steve, glad to hear you got this one! I believe that there is actually a good chance that some of the FD stuff in this ration might be edible too!

Treesuit

Postby Treesuit » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:02 pm

Does anybody know when this might have been field tested as prototype? Looks to be around the 1950's or 1960's

steve1989

Postby steve1989 » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:14 pm

Thanks BTemple and Cavguy! This is one heck of an exciting find. Pretty sure it will be in good shape too... fingers crossed.

Treesuit, the 6 man version was used from 1961-66 from what i read on QMfound. Will provide a copy/paste of what i read.

Well it says scheduled for completion 1966. The one i got was 1961. Perhaps earlier prototypes were used in the late 50s?

Quick-Serve Meals is scheduled for completion during FY 1966.

Typical Menus

BREAKFAST DINNER SUPPER
Orange Juice Milk Hot Cocoa Beverage
Oatmeal w/milk Chill Con Carne w/Beans Chicken & Gravy
Beef Hash Bread Mashed Potatoes
Bread Jelly Green Peas
Military Spread Applesauce Bread
Coffee, Cream, Sugar Coffee, Cream, Sugar Military Spread
Starch Jelly Bar Chocolate Caramel Roll Fruit Cake
Coffee, Cream, Sugar

Hot Cocoa Beverage Chicken Soup w/Rice Milk
Cereal Bar Spaghetti w/Meat & Sliced Beef & Brown Gravy
Bacon
Tomato Sauce

Macaroni, Buttered
Scrambled Eggs Bread Cabbage
Bread Jelly Bread
Jelly Military Spread Military Spread
Coffee, Cream, Sugar Butterscotch Pudding Date Pudding
Chocolate Coated Raisins Coffee, Cream, Sugar Coffee, Cream, Sugar
Coconut Bar

Grapefruit Juice Pea Soup Hot Cocoa Beverage
Rice Chicken w/Rice Sliced Beef Loaf w/Tomato Gravy
Beef in Onion Gravy Bread Macaroni & Cheese
Pecan Roll Jelly Applesauce
Military Spread Apricots Bread
Coffee, Cream, Sugar Coffee, Cream, Sugar Military Spread
Chocolate Discs Vanilla Cream Bar Pound Cake
Coffee, Cream, Sugar
6-MAN MODULE (1962 assembly)

Module/case 4
Weight/case 41.5 pounds
Weight/module 9.2 pounds
Weight/meal 1.53 pounds
Cube/case 2.44 cubic feet
Cube/module .56 cubic feet
Cube/meal .09 cubic feet
Calories/meal 1200 minimum

elandil

Postby elandil » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:07 am

Man, im getting twitterpated waiting on this....can't wait.
Tried- Brit 24hr, FSR, MCW, IMP, EPA II, RCIR, Spanish IMP/lunch, Norwegian Arctic Ration, Brown Bag Corned Beef Hash MRE

facebook http://www.facebook.com/ElandilMRE

youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/ElandilMRE

steve1989

Postby steve1989 » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:18 am

A quick jump on this post and back to work. But wanted to relay this ration in in amazing condition. I cannot imagine it woulda stayed that way though. The military spread tube cracked and any excessive heat woulda made it leak it's petrolium like substance on everything. And the jelly packets started to leak.

The acc packets have gun cleaning patches & Viceroy cigarettes.

Heating up water for rehydration now. About to start chowing down. Wish me luck.
Attachments
20171020_232130.jpg
20171021_002131.jpg
20171021_002734.jpg
20171021_002737.jpg
20171021_002745.jpg
20171021_005517.jpg
20171021_004532.jpg
20171021_005517.jpg
20171021_005602.jpg
20171021_010857.jpg

Return to “MREs”