Low sodium meals

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Icon

Low sodium meals

Post by Icon » Sat Sep 24, 2016 4:49 pm

Do they have the same shelf life as regular MREs? Do they taste bland? My local store just got in several pallets and I need to grab a few cases if they are good for storage and taste good. Don't want to buy a case just to find out they need salt to taste good.

RockyRaab

Re: Low sodium meals

Post by RockyRaab » Tue Sep 27, 2016 1:41 pm

There are several of the members here doing reviews of them over on that TwoYubes thing. One thing I've noticed is that only the entree changes - the rest of the package is the same every time. It's crackers with two packs of jelly, poptarts, a Tootsie roll, and a drink. Booooring. Obviously picked to limit the sodium level, but completely without imagination.
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

elandil

Post by elandil » Tue Sep 27, 2016 4:27 pm

yes, they are flat. You will need to add salt and/or seasoning. Check out my CivVsMil review, I have one of the LS Raviolis on it, and you can see what I mean.

Also, keep in mind most of these don't come with beverage packets. They were created for disaster relief on special order from the Govt. I worked with the SoPakCo rep on getting all the necessary info needed for a full review.

but, as some say, if the price is right, they are handy to keep around for quick meals or snacks. ;)

Icon

Post by Icon » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:05 am

I found the review... I may pick up a case to try it out. At $20 per case, adding spices may not be all that bad.

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:26 pm

Icon wrote:...At $20 per case...
Where can I find cases for such a price?
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

Icon

Post by Icon » Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:42 pm

These are at a local freight damage type store. They get MREs in about 3-4 times a year.