Russian Ration question

Discussions about rations from other countries - IMPs, EPAs, RCIRs, etc.
Norton

Russian Ration question

Post by Norton » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:09 pm

I have some question about Russian military rations. Does anyone know the difference between the colors of the bags. I see some in dark blue others in Camouflage. Some in a cardboard box with large star on the box. Do these colors have any significance? I plan to try one on a winter camping trip, so I want a solid main course of some type of meat stew. I do not want a survival type meal. Also do these Russian meals have tea bags and is there a breakfast type component in each meal?

Thank you

housil

Re: Russian Ration question

Post by housil » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:22 pm

As much as I know, these ones are earlier ones:
Russ1.jpg
Russ2.jpg
The newer ones are these:
LR2.jpg
The card board ones could be Ukraine ones?
Iwan1.jpg

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:09 pm

Hi Norton. I'm no expert, but I did recently add a lot of different Russian rations to my collection, and have been communicating with onepamop here about them since he knows all about them. My understanding is that the boxed ones are meant for the army. The design varies a little bit since there are different companies that make the rations. There is the green box with the star on it, as well as several camo variations. With the military ones, I am told there are 7 different menus.
RR1.jpg
Army Ration
RR2.jpg
Army Ration
RR3.jpg
Army Ration
The camo ones that come in the plastic camo wrap are meant for police use, and there is also a blue plastic wrapped one that is for Emercom, which is comparable to FEMA here in the US. There are 2 menus with the police version. One version with the Emercom one.
RR4.jpg
Police Ration
I believe that green "tray" ration is still a current issue ration, but is a special forces / mountain ration.

Onepamop, please correct me if I'm wrong. You're the expert on the Russian rations.

Hope this helps Norton!

gundog4314
eBay name: gundog4314

Post by gundog4314 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Yep, that sounds pretty right on the money to me too. I understand they are phasing the camo boxes out for the solid green ones. Of course being practical they'll use all old stock till it's gone.

onepamop

Post by onepamop » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:19 am

parafireboy wrote: Onepamop, please correct me if I'm wrong. You're the expert on the Russian rations.
You are pretty right!

But sometimes rations, designed for police are in service in armed forces and vice versa :)

Eddo36

Post by Eddo36 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 9:32 pm

onepamop wrote:
parafireboy wrote: Onepamop, please correct me if I'm wrong. You're the expert on the Russian rations.
You are pretty right!

But sometimes rations, designed for police are in service in armed forces and vice versa :)
Why is there a different version for police and armed forces? Different calorie count, or other factors?

FREMONT

Post by FREMONT » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:19 pm

parafireboy wrote:Hi Norton. I'm no expert, but I did recently add a lot of different Russian rations to my collection, and have been communicating with onepamop here about them since he knows all about them. My understanding is that the boxed ones are meant for the army. The design varies a little bit since there are different companies that make the rations. There is the green box with the star on it, as well as several camo variations. With the military ones, I am told there are 7 different menus.
RR1.jpg
RR2.jpg
RR3.jpg
The camo ones that come in the plastic camo wrap are meant for police use, and there is also a blue plastic wrapped one that is for Emercom, which is comparable to FEMA here in the US. There are 2 menus with the police version. One version with the Emercom one.
RR4.jpg
I believe that green "tray" ration is still a current issue ration, but is a special forces / mountain ration.

Onepamop, please correct me if I'm wrong. You're the expert on the Russian rations.

Hope this helps Norton!
Which ration would you prefer eating? I would guess the Army ones are of higher quality?
Good luck and may your rations stay unspoiled!

parafireboy
eBay name: parafireboy

Post by parafireboy » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:22 pm

Which ration would you prefer eating? I would guess the Army ones are of higher quality?
My understanding is that they all are very similar, with the exception of the mountain ration. The EMERCOM one, "police" one, and army one that I've had have been virtually identical in amount of contents. The mountain one contains more though, as it is assuming the user is going to be in a cold weather / high altitude area of operations and will require more calories. There are multiple contractors that make Russian rations, so they can vary a little bit, but I've been very pleased with all the different types thus far. Hope this helps!

Delicious
eBay name: piograbo.g96x9if

Post by Delicious » Wed Jun 15, 2016 2:32 pm

I know onlyform a RUssian, who sales the rations that the first from the top is a newer issue of the second one (I mean parafireboy post)
There is also a special forces issue, which is quite similiar tothe regular one, except of the fact that all meat dishes are based on beef
Attachments
DSC04447.JPG
Have access to: Polish, Russian, French, UK, US, sometimes other.
Interested in:Swedish/Finnish, Chinese, Korean, New Zealand , Hungarian, HDR
Ration reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCo9H0e ... u9BsrZzK5g

TechManDan
eBay name: Av1979

Post by TechManDan » Wed Jun 15, 2016 3:06 pm

Personally I prefer the army rations over the police ones. The army ones do have a higher calorie content as they include more drink mixes and side dishes. Other than that the main meals and the other contents are identical.