Bundeswehr pea stew freezedried

Reviews of rations from abroad - British ration packs, EPA, IMP, RCIR, etc.
housil

Bundeswehr pea stew freezedried

Post by housil » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 pm

We have to deal with a big flood. so I offered my staff a 2007 Bundeswehr freeze dried pea stew of "Gruppenverpflegung" (group feeding)

10 servings per bag

Stir into ~ 1 Gal. of cooking water

Let it simmer for 10 min

et viola

I got a very delicious, salty and spicy, pea stew with bacon. :D

hOMEr_jAy

Re: Bundeswehr pea stew freezedried

Post by hOMEr_jAy » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:28 pm

Nice review!
This "group feeding menu" looks similiar to my "pea stew with bacon", also made by Veris, I got from a comrade´s "EPA, leicht". I haven´t opened it yet, but I expect something similiar to your "group meal". How was the consistency, btw? Rather watery or like a real "Eintopf"?

Little story about EPA, leicht: He was in a LRRP-company before he joined mine and had to eat EPA, leicht for one week during a maneuvre and told me that the worst about these meals was that you didn´t have anything to chew. The main meals were mostly stews or soup-like and the energy bars didn´t really help filling the stomach either. He told me that they had their calories covered but it didn´t really feel like eating to them. Poor fella ^^

housil

Re: Bundeswehr pea stew freezedried

Post by housil » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:01 pm

hOMEr_jAy wrote:Nice review!
This "group feeding menu" looks similiar to my "pea stew with bacon", also made by Veris, I got from a comrade´s "EPA, leicht". I haven´t opened it yet, but I expect something similiar to your "group meal". How was the consistency, btw? Rather watery or like a real "Eintopf"?
Depends how much water you add. That "Gruppenverpflegung" requieres 3 ltrs. for 10 servings.

That´s how a EPa leicht rations looks like:

and this is an (old) EPa pea stew

To me, the regular EPa pea stew was best, but the "Gruppenverpflegung" a very close second place. That EPa leicht freeze dried stuff is "better than starving". You have to add some spices. :wink: