Heaters separated on Ebay

Discussions about US MREs and other US rations
Hardtack

Heaters separated on Ebay

Post by Hardtack » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:11 am

I'm seeing many MRE listings with the statement "Heaters Separated" in the description. Or matches & heaters removed. Apparently the heaters are considered hazardous material per ebay and are not allowed to be sold on Ebay either loose or in with the MRE's. My question is when did the heaters start to be packed with the meals? I know they all have them now, but I seem to remember the heaters being packed separately in the case in the early days. So far the sellers listing a sealed case won't admit to me that they opened all the meals to take out the FRH and matches. Obviously many people fudge the description to get around the silly rules. Has anyone bid on a sealed case and got an opened one with the FRH's removed?

housil

Re: Heaters separated on Ebay

Post by housil » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:09 am

They started in 1990, see:

http://www.mreinfo.com/us/mre/frh.html

Bypah

Post by Bypah » Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:50 am

So far all the MRE's and other rationsI have got from ebay have been sealed with their heaters, matches etc. intact...
Peace!
8)
Last edited by Bypah on Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Live long and prosper..."

OLETROOP
eBay name: OLETROOP

Post by OLETROOP » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:20 am

I have won a case of MRE's that the seller says the heaters and matches have been removed but when I contacted him during his auction he said that I would be happy with my purchase..... :D I WAS, the case arrived intact, never opened and still banded.

I sell on ebay and I find it best to NEVER mention in an auction heaters or matches. I have had an auction removed because I said...CAR-15. Stupid ebay rules.
SEMPER PRIMUS, FIRST IN AND THE LAST OUT....PATHFINDERS

Garron
eBay name: Bigg1989

Post by Garron » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:03 pm

There was a rule on UK ebay that any ordinace sold (Grenades, bullets, whatever) needed to be filled with an inert resin and cases drilled to stop you from using them as weapons. Also either fired primers or primer thats were oiled and made inert.

I bought a few grenades for display and some rounds, not a single one was filled with resin*

Chances are most if not all will be unopened, they just say that so ebay doesnt cancel thier auction.

Gaz

Edit* they were empty and inert just didnt have the resin as per ebay demanded.

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:33 am

Hardtack,

I sold a case of MRE's to Kman and Dangerous Dave back in 2005 straight from Iraq. When I got to the Post Office on my FOB the post office folks inspected my package before shipping and told me that I had to take out all the Heaters and matches. If think this was in regards to the post 9-11 attitude and that the post office folks had to follow the rules governing sale of MRE's. (The inscrpition on each bag). To me it's absolutely ridiculous that they put that warning on the bags when the bags are completely sealed against the elements.

Now for me I did sell some MRE's and two cases a few years ago and didn't mention anything in my auctions about heaters or matches. Needless to say I didn't have a problem nor did the buyers. I'ts just how you get around the ebay laws. :wink:

Hardtack

Post by Hardtack » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:11 am

I think its a US Postal Service thing verses UPS. I used to see auctions on Ebay stating that they had to be shipped by UPS due to the matches & FRH. I got someone shipping me some cases of aPacks. I think that's why he said he ships them in the original cases turned inside out.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:08 am

That guy who lives near you sounds like the guys I just bought a couple of cases of aPacks from - they actually opened the case, removed the MREs, then turned the case inside out and repackaged them. In all my years of buying and shipping MREs, I've NEVER seen anyone do this. This ranks right up there with cutting open each MRE to remove the heaters - STUPID.

When I buy a case of MREs, I want them SEALED...how do I know they're in any sort of "factory fresh" condition if the case has been opened and the MREs have been manhandled? Sure, I have the seller's word for it but unless I know them personally, that's not good enough.

Shipping MREs is simple enough without mangling the cases - just WRAP THE CASES IN PAPER. It can be nice brown wrapping paper or just cut-up shopping bags. There's just absolutely no reason to open a case and turn it inside out except for sheer ignorance.

Jamison

Post by Jamison » Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:54 pm

kman wrote:That guy who lives near you sounds like the guys I just bought a couple of cases of aPacks from - they actually opened the case, removed the MREs, then turned the case inside out and repackaged them. In all my years of buying and shipping MREs, I've NEVER seen anyone do this. This ranks right up there with cutting open each MRE to remove the heaters - STUPID.

When I buy a case of MREs, I want them SEALED...how do I know they're in any sort of "factory fresh" condition if the case has been opened and the MREs have been manhandled? Sure, I have the seller's word for it but unless I know them personally, that's not good enough.

Shipping MREs is simple enough without mangling the cases - just WRAP THE CASES IN PAPER. It can be nice brown wrapping paper or just cut-up shopping bags. There's just absolutely no reason to open a case and turn it inside out except for sheer ignorance.
Darn right, no body wants violated MREs. It defeats the whole purpose of buying in my opinion.

kman
Site Admin

Post by kman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:02 pm

Well heck, Jamison - you're in luck. If you're on the coast of SC, you might be close enough to drive to the guy to pick up the MREs for free - he doesn't charge for local pickup. At one point, he had cases of aPacks for $24 with free pickup and that's a great deal!