Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Seth711
eBay name: Taurus.38

Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Post by Seth711 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Anybody here fancy a more traditional shave? Or am I the only one? If so what kind of gear do you have? I'd love to talk a little shave gear!

SentientTootsieRoll

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:12 am

I use a Merkur safety razor. When I first ordered mine back in 2013, I ordered a sample pack of multiple branded blades along with it so I could find out which ones worked best for me. I found that the Crystal Double Edge blades work pretty well for the price. I tried the Shark branded blades, and that led to the most disastrous shaving experience I've ever had. It hurt and I ended up with cuts all over my face (I should have stopped shaving with that blade earlier in the process, but I was so sure that I was doing something wrong*). If I recall correctly, those blades originated from Egypt so they must be designed to larger beards or something. I'd be surprised to meet anyone who has a good experience with them, but someone must because they're still making them. The Merkur razor I ordered came with a Merkur branded blade and I liked that the most, but they cost a little more than what I'm willing to pay.

Over the years, I've saved a lot of money by using the safety razor. Sure, cartridge razors are more convenient but there goes your wallet.

*I'm sure I could've thrown a pun in there about Occam's Razor, but I'll spare you this time.
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

Seth711

Post by Seth711 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:25 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:I use a Merkur safety razor. When I first ordered mine back in 2013, I ordered a sample pack of multiple branded blades along with it so I could find out which ones worked best for me. I found that the Crystal Double Edge blades work pretty well for the price. I tried the Shark branded blades, and that led to the most disastrous shaving experience I've ever had. It hurt and I ended up with cuts all over my face (I should have stopped shaving with that blade earlier in the process, but I was so sure that I was doing something wrong*). If I recall correctly, those blades originated from Egypt so they must be designed to larger beards or something. I'd be surprised to meet anyone who has a good experience with them, but someone must because they're still making them. The Merkur razor I ordered came with a Merkur branded blade and I liked that the most, but they cost a little more than what I'm willing to pay.

Over the years, I've saved a lot of money by using the safety razor. Sure, cartridge razors are more convenient but there goes your wallet.

*I'm sure I could've thrown a pun in there about Occam's Razor, but I'll spare you this time.
I knew I couldn't be the only one! What all haven't you tried? I don't own any of the newer razors, I may have 1 or 2. I mainly have old Gillette DE razors. It was my hobby in the military :mrgreen:

But now that I don't have free access to MRE's, it's looking like it's gonna become my hobby!

What kind of brush and soap do you use?

housil

Post by housil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Seth711 wrote: What kind of brush and soap do you use?
I´m buying the regular Walmart brand. Their cans lats for "ever" :mrgreen: and a Gillette Mach 3 shaver but only shave twice a week.

Seth711

Post by Seth711 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:37 pm

housil wrote:
Seth711 wrote: What kind of brush and soap do you use?
I´m buying the regular Walmart brand. Their cans lats for "ever" :mrgreen: and a Gillette Mach 3 shaver but only shave twice a week.
Nice! Honestly it's hard to beat the shave and ease of use you get with a modern cartridge razor. But it was something so monotonous in the Army, I tried to make it fun. I have probably 25 different shaving soaps, 5 brushes, and probably 10 double edge razors, 1 single edge, and 2 straight razors. And I don't shave now so I don't use any! They're just collectors items now :mrgreen:

elandil

Post by elandil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 pm

right now I have a no-name brand straight razor for the rare times I need to do a full shave...normally its just buzz off the long hairs with my trimmer and go.
Tried- Brit 24hr, FSR, MCW, IMP, EPA II, RCIR, Spanish IMP/lunch, Norwegian Arctic Ration, Brown Bag Corned Beef Hash MRE

facebook http://www.facebook.com/ElandilMRE

youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/ElandilMRE

SentientTootsieRoll

Post by SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Oh yes, the Gillette Double Edge razors were pretty good too but I noticed that they wore down quicker than the Crystals. I'm not sure what brush I use, it was just some cheap find from Amazon. It needs to be replaced badly because the hairs are falling off. This time I'll make sure to invest in a nicer one. I haven't done a whole lot of research on brushes lately so I'm open to suggestions. Originally, I bought Col. Conk's Bay Rum soap and that lasted me for nearly three years!

In 2014, I went to Germany, specifically the Marienplatz area and they had some sort of a beauty shop there and I was intrigued by their selection of razors, blades, etc. and purchased some shave soap while I was there. I'm currently going through it right now. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
If we don't study the mistakes of the future, we're bound to repeat them for the first time.

Seth711

Post by Seth711 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:39 pm

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:Oh yes, the Gillette Double Edge razors were pretty good too but I noticed that they wore down quicker than the Crystals. I'm not sure what brush I use, it was just some cheap find from Amazon. It needs to be replaced badly because the hairs are falling off. This time I'll make sure to invest in a nicer one. I haven't done a whole lot of research on brushes lately so I'm open to suggestions. Originally, I bought Col. Conk's Bay Rum soap and that lasted me for nearly three years!

In 2014, I went to Germany, specifically the Marienplatz area and they had some sort of a beauty shop there and I was intrigued by their selection of razors, blades, etc. and purchased some shave soap while I was there. I'm currently going through it right now. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.
My absolute favorite razors are the Feather blades. Shave like no other, but they are extremely sharp. I got about 4 shaves with 3 passes each out those blades. I need to get a picture of the different razors I have and soaps. My go to soap has been Tabac, it's a love it or hate it scent, but it reminds me of my grandfather.

I have more shaving gear than anyone could use in a lifetime I believe... I knew there had to be someone with an interest on here!

Seth711

Post by Seth711 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 pm

elandil wrote:right now I have a no-name brand straight razor for the rare times I need to do a full shave...normally its just buzz off the long hairs with my trimmer and go.
I'm with you there, I rarely use any of mine now. I have two vintage straights, one is a mint "Expert Barber" brand. Both of mine need a real stone sharpening so I never really got to use them.

Seth711

Post by Seth711 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:23 pm