Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Seth711
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 pm
eBay name: Taurus.38
Location: Dawsonville, GA

Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby Seth711 » Wed Aug 30, 2017 7:41 pm

Anybody here fancy a more traditional shave? Or am I the only one? If so what kind of gear do you have? I'd love to talk a little shave gear!

SentientTootsieRoll
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 pm
Location: Spokane, WA, US

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:12 am

I use a Merkur safety razor. When I first ordered mine back in 2013, I ordered a sample pack of multiple branded blades along with it so I could find out which ones worked best for me. I found that the Crystal Double Edge blades work pretty well for the price. I tried the Shark branded blades, and that led to the most disastrous shaving experience I've ever had. It hurt and I ended up with cuts all over my face (I should have stopped shaving with that blade earlier in the process, but I was so sure that I was doing something wrong*). If I recall correctly, those blades originated from Egypt so they must be designed to larger beards or something. I'd be surprised to meet anyone who has a good experience with them, but someone must because they're still making them. The Merkur razor I ordered came with a Merkur branded blade and I liked that the most, but they cost a little more than what I'm willing to pay.

Over the years, I've saved a lot of money by using the safety razor. Sure, cartridge razors are more convenient but there goes your wallet.

*I'm sure I could've thrown a pun in there about Occam's Razor, but I'll spare you this time.

Seth711
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 pm
eBay name: Taurus.38
Location: Dawsonville, GA

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby Seth711 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:25 am

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:I use a Merkur safety razor. When I first ordered mine back in 2013, I ordered a sample pack of multiple branded blades along with it so I could find out which ones worked best for me. I found that the Crystal Double Edge blades work pretty well for the price. I tried the Shark branded blades, and that led to the most disastrous shaving experience I've ever had. It hurt and I ended up with cuts all over my face (I should have stopped shaving with that blade earlier in the process, but I was so sure that I was doing something wrong*). If I recall correctly, those blades originated from Egypt so they must be designed to larger beards or something. I'd be surprised to meet anyone who has a good experience with them, but someone must because they're still making them. The Merkur razor I ordered came with a Merkur branded blade and I liked that the most, but they cost a little more than what I'm willing to pay.

Over the years, I've saved a lot of money by using the safety razor. Sure, cartridge razors are more convenient but there goes your wallet.

*I'm sure I could've thrown a pun in there about Occam's Razor, but I'll spare you this time.


I knew I couldn't be the only one! What all haven't you tried? I don't own any of the newer razors, I may have 1 or 2. I mainly have old Gillette DE razors. It was my hobby in the military :mrgreen:

But now that I don't have free access to MRE's, it's looking like it's gonna become my hobby!

What kind of brush and soap do you use?

User avatar
housil
Moderator
Posts: 4837
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Contact:

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby housil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Seth711 wrote:What kind of brush and soap do you use?


I´m buying the regular Walmart brand. Their cans lats for "ever" :mrgreen: and a Gillette Mach 3 shaver but only shave twice a week.

Seth711
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 pm
eBay name: Taurus.38
Location: Dawsonville, GA

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby Seth711 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:37 pm

housil wrote:
Seth711 wrote:What kind of brush and soap do you use?


I´m buying the regular Walmart brand. Their cans lats for "ever" :mrgreen: and a Gillette Mach 3 shaver but only shave twice a week.


Nice! Honestly it's hard to beat the shave and ease of use you get with a modern cartridge razor. But it was something so monotonous in the Army, I tried to make it fun. I have probably 25 different shaving soaps, 5 brushes, and probably 10 double edge razors, 1 single edge, and 2 straight razors. And I don't shave now so I don't use any! They're just collectors items now :mrgreen:

User avatar
elandil
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:56 pm
Contact:

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby elandil » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:11 pm

right now I have a no-name brand straight razor for the rare times I need to do a full shave...normally its just buzz off the long hairs with my trimmer and go.
Tried- Brit 24hr, FSR, MCW, IMP, EPA II, RCIR, Spanish IMP/lunch, Norwegian Arctic Ration, Brown Bag Corned Beef Hash MRE

facebook http://www.facebook.com/ElandilMRE

youtube http://www.youtube.com/c/ElandilMRE

SentientTootsieRoll
Posts: 219
Joined: Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:26 pm
Location: Spokane, WA, US

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby SentientTootsieRoll » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:21 pm

Oh yes, the Gillette Double Edge razors were pretty good too but I noticed that they wore down quicker than the Crystals. I'm not sure what brush I use, it was just some cheap find from Amazon. It needs to be replaced badly because the hairs are falling off. This time I'll make sure to invest in a nicer one. I haven't done a whole lot of research on brushes lately so I'm open to suggestions. Originally, I bought Col. Conk's Bay Rum soap and that lasted me for nearly three years!

In 2014, I went to Germany, specifically the Marienplatz area and they had some sort of a beauty shop there and I was intrigued by their selection of razors, blades, etc. and purchased some shave soap while I was there. I'm currently going through it right now. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.

Seth711
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 pm
eBay name: Taurus.38
Location: Dawsonville, GA

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby Seth711 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:39 pm

SentientTootsieRoll wrote:Oh yes, the Gillette Double Edge razors were pretty good too but I noticed that they wore down quicker than the Crystals. I'm not sure what brush I use, it was just some cheap find from Amazon. It needs to be replaced badly because the hairs are falling off. This time I'll make sure to invest in a nicer one. I haven't done a whole lot of research on brushes lately so I'm open to suggestions. Originally, I bought Col. Conk's Bay Rum soap and that lasted me for nearly three years!

In 2014, I went to Germany, specifically the Marienplatz area and they had some sort of a beauty shop there and I was intrigued by their selection of razors, blades, etc. and purchased some shave soap while I was there. I'm currently going through it right now. I can't remember the name of it for the life of me.


My absolute favorite razors are the Feather blades. Shave like no other, but they are extremely sharp. I got about 4 shaves with 3 passes each out those blades. I need to get a picture of the different razors I have and soaps. My go to soap has been Tabac, it's a love it or hate it scent, but it reminds me of my grandfather.

I have more shaving gear than anyone could use in a lifetime I believe... I knew there had to be someone with an interest on here!

Seth711
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 pm
eBay name: Taurus.38
Location: Dawsonville, GA

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby Seth711 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:40 pm

elandil wrote:right now I have a no-name brand straight razor for the rare times I need to do a full shave...normally its just buzz off the long hairs with my trimmer and go.


I'm with you there, I rarely use any of mine now. I have two vintage straights, one is a mint "Expert Barber" brand. Both of mine need a real stone sharpening so I never really got to use them.

Seth711
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:56 pm
eBay name: Taurus.38
Location: Dawsonville, GA

Re: Straight razor, Double Edge, and Single edge Shaving

Postby Seth711 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:23 pm

Image


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests