What would you put in your Bug out Bag?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
Treesuit

Re: What would you put in your Bug out Bag?

Post by Treesuit » Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:59 pm

AK70G,

I've never seen that Australian model but it sure looks nice, the tarp portion almost exactly looks like a British Basha cover (I have one of those, it's very versatile). You mentioned a Norwegian Jerven bag. From what I've read on line, it is the thing to have "hands down". Do check out the specs on it, as it comes in different sizes and you can order the thrermo fleece liner if need be. Soon as I can get some funds, I'm going to order one and I won't get into what the shipping will be to get it here in the states. Supposedly it is much better than a sleeping bag.

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:47 am

I intend to get one for the winter too, you can get one from here:

http://www.varusteleka.com/en/product/j ... tarp/22622

Too bad that our friend Norge is gone MIA and other members from Scandinavia or nothern countries are not active, some cold weather living/survival informations should be very useful... No Royal Marine with Norwegian experience here? Or someone from Alaska? Some cold weather tips will be welcome...

I'll get another job next month, so I'll have plenty of time for experimentation (I'll work for forest/land surveying), I'll try to make some lists for BOBs suitable to Central Europe land (mixed forests, some steppe, seaside) and I'll put my conclusions here.

Treesuit, maybe you'll make a trade with one of our british members, Royal Army have a very good bivibag, made from goretex. Is larger than the one I have (Snugpak brand) and come handy when you want to carry less and sleep in some damp woods. :D
'cuz hunting ain't catch and release...

housil

Post by housil » Tue Mar 19, 2013 8:56 am

ak70g2 wrote:
Too bad that our friend Norge is gone MIA...
He made it out of the jungle... :D

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:05 am

OMG, it's clear. The good times returns. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Treesuit

Post by Treesuit » Sat Apr 13, 2013 8:27 pm

This thread has been a little quiet for awhile so I thought I would interject another thought and that is boots. We have a favorite pair that we love to death and use all the time. Some people swear by some and others think one particular brand just plain sucks.

For those of us who have been out in the woods both in civilian life and military know that taking care of your feet is the utmost importance so with that which boots would work for you if you had very little time to get your bag and get out of dodge.

For me, I have several pairs of boots. I do love the standard green or black US jungle boot. Both styles work extremely well in summer and winter with a pair of good socks. Very lightweight, and a little easy to take care of. I have also a pair of Danner Matterhorns which, if it really gets cold I can use those. I also have all leather White work boots which can take a beating and keep your feet happy.

I know this is a disscussion about BOB's but if you carrying a heavy load/backpack/rucksack keeping much of the weight of your lower back and feet if you want to keep going.

The worst, US style all leather black boots or the current desert boots. Both equally bad for feet because of poor air circulation.

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:17 am

The best boots I have is a pair of Lowa Desert Elite, made in Germany for UK Army. Were used in conjunction with an Berghaus Vulcan backpack, with some 25 kg/55 lb, on rugged mountain terrain, also, on tarmac and grass.
SL270409.JPG
SL270385.JPG
What I reccomend to avoid is Bates brand, China made, boots, a sole split after just 10 monthis of regular use.

norge

Post by norge » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:48 pm

treesuit :
if you need the jerven duk let me know and i can buy it here for you
and ship it to you and gett a better shipping price than a dealer sending it.

BOOTS: i use US military boots only when hiking or other outdoor
movement in the bush/snow

they are cheap and durable,more than most other norwegian boots,army or civilian.
the only pair of non us boots i have in spare are a pair of norwegian army goretex
arctic boots for my oldest boy since he dont like boots to warm :mrgreen:

SLEEPING BAGS:
here where i live we have most winter months so i usualy
use the military arctic sleeping bags,if not you will not sleep at al
in the nigths in winter time :lol:
if wet and humid arctic weather you will need a water proof cover
suck as goretex or other look alikes.

in the summer time if you are used to the north of norway temperatur
you can use a phonco with liner.or a 3 season bag if you go in the mountains.
beaware! it can snow in the summer time in the mountains where i live 8)
so if anyone are planning a norway tripp on foot plase contact me before
you do it :lol:

cheers ken,norway

fdsman

Post by fdsman » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:19 pm

ak70g2 wrote:The best boots I have is a pair of Lowa Desert Elite, made in Germany for UK Army. Were used in conjunction with an Berghaus Vulcan backpack, with some 25 kg/55 lb, on rugged mountain terrain, also, on tarmac and grass.
SL270409.JPG
SL270385.JPG
What I reccomend to avoid is Bates brand, China made, boots, a sole split after just 10 monthis of regular use.
I've heard a lot of people recommend Danner boots. Some models are made in China, but the more expensive ones are made in USA. I've heard good things about either ones, they last for a long time.

http://www.danner.com/boots/

ak70g2

Post by ak70g2 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:05 pm

I'll look for a pair of Danner RAT (Rugged All Terrain) in the future, at USMC detachament at Mihail Kogalniceanu airbase. Bit for now, I'm very happy with Lowa boots. After a year of everyday use in the snow, moisture, on the rock or trails, the only damage are the scuffed shoelaces. Look in the picture below to see the condition of them. Picture was made 2 days ago.
Attachments
537051_515163315186538_464448963_n.jpg

Name_not_found

Post by Name_not_found » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:45 am

Boots are too personal to listen to any specific recommendation.

But you get what you pay for in my experience.

Other than that a good set of insoles makes life easier, i like the superfeet ones
Ration Reviews: USA, Australia, Canada, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Spain, Russia, Lithuania
Wish List: Rations from anywhere I haven't reviewed yet!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnlQPi ... kQXu87uUCA