Russian answer?

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
User avatar
housil
Moderator
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Contact:

Post by housil » Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:04 am

It is "dangerous" to take a single word (draft) out of a coherence!!!!

IF he said that a "...draft would spread the wealth...", he didn´t say that he will intent conscription (like WW2 or Vietnam War) again :!:

But yes, a linked source will be helpfull everytime, there are to many "...I heard/read somewhere..." in the internet, causing a lot of unneccesary discussion about rumors... :wink:



Read what he said:
Obama September 15, 2008 :

And if you go to small towns, throughout the Midwest or the Southwest or the South, every town has tons of young people who are serving in Iraq and Afghanistan.

"That’s not always the case in other parts of the country, in more urban centers. And I think it’s important for the president to say, this is an important obligation. If we are going into war, then all of us go, not just some.”






Seriously question:

Can some1 please explain the difference between "draft" and "enlist" to me :?:

We still have conscription over here. They draft every male at age 18-23 for 9 month if your are "healthy enough" (...spread the wealth... :wink: )
After that you are still in reserve untill you are 45.
If they doesn´t want to join the military, they can refuse, but have to do a conscientous objektor service for 9 month in a hospital, nursing home (whiping asses :twisted: ) , handicaped home. (getting ~€400 = $550 a month)
Or 6 years Red Cross (civil protection), volunteer Fire Department...

You can also prolonger up to 12 years military service, making "real money" :wink:

User avatar
george94
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:55 am

Post by george94 » Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:04 am

housil wrote: Can some1 please explain the difference between "draft" and "enlist" to me :?:
A draft(In America atleast) was when if you were capable of joining, you were in. To enlist is like to join yourself.

User avatar
kman
Site Admin
Posts: 4288
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2005 8:07 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC
Contact:

Post by kman » Sat Nov 08, 2008 10:05 am

george94 wrote:
housil wrote: Can some1 please explain the difference between "draft" and "enlist" to me :?:
A draft(In America atleast) was when if you were capable of joining, you were in. To enlist is like to join yourself.
The "draft" system we had here in the past was a system where every male 18 or older had to register with the government. Then they would hold a random lottery to determine who was required to join based on how many soldiers they needed.

"Enlisting" is signing up voluntarily.

User avatar
housil
Moderator
Posts: 5148
Joined: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:04 am
Location: Germany, Bavaria
Contact:

Post by housil » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:02 am

kman wrote:
george94 wrote:
housil wrote: Can some1 please explain the difference between "draft" and "enlist" to me :?:
A draft(In America atleast) was when if you were capable of joining, you were in. To enlist is like to join yourself.
The "draft" system we had here in the past was a system where every male 18 or older had to register with the government. Then they would hold a random lottery to determine who was required to join based on how many soldiers they needed.

"Enlisting" is signing up voluntarily.
Thx :D

Remember to M*A*S*H, they had a (mess?) tent for Enlisted and for Officers.
Another difference?
Enlisted can become a NCO only?
An Officer is never (called) enlisted?

MasterOfPuppets
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:41 pm
Contact:

Post by MasterOfPuppets » Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:14 am

Exactly. although on occasion, enlisted personnel can be granted a "Battlefield Commission" effectively turning them into a commissioned officer.

Post Reply