Books, movies, articles

For non-MRE, non-ration topics
User avatar
jfko6
Posts: 2127
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:49 pm
eBay name: jfk9
Location: North East Region - U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by jfko6 » Fri May 29, 2020 7:45 pm

Incorporated a suggestion thread for the forums. This thread seemingly mimics that idea here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5537
Image
The Long Gray Line
Learn more of the history of Army sports and The United States Military Academy
https://amzn.to/2tAVeyE -- https://amzn.to/2ChtZQr
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

User avatar
Steph1997
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 4:40 am

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by Steph1997 » Sat May 30, 2020 12:58 am

jfko6 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 7:45 pm
Incorporated a suggestion thread for the forums. This thread seemingly mimics that idea here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5537
Good idea! Thankyou :) honestly just posting anything that comes to mind. I keep discovering more and more great books and movies. It’s so exciting.
check out my youtube @campcooper

User avatar
jfko6
Posts: 2127
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:49 pm
eBay name: jfk9
Location: North East Region - U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by jfko6 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 pm

Here's the book of books I got members of the forum interested in the early days of the forum Canteen Cup Cookery: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2376&p=18861&hilit= ... ery#p18861

I found mine in my private library. I might have to get Rebecca from Pawn Stars to review the condition and value.
Image
The Long Gray Line
Learn more of the history of Army sports and The United States Military Academy
https://amzn.to/2tAVeyE -- https://amzn.to/2ChtZQr
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

User avatar
Steph1997
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 4:40 am

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by Steph1997 » Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:38 pm

jfko6 wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:24 pm
Here's the book of books I got members of the forum interested in the early days of the forum Canteen Cup Cookery: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2376&p=18861&hilit= ... ery#p18861

I found mine in my private library. I might have to get Rebecca from Pawn Stars to review the condition and value.
That looks really cool! I did end up buying the “food in the American military” book and it’s so good! They start from the revolutionary war and then go up from that! And there’s pictures which are very nice. I got it on kindle for 9.99 which is a good price for an over 200+ page book.
check out my youtube @campcooper

rationtin440
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:53 am
Location: occupied territories, new england

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by rationtin440 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm

Hey Steph1997 I'm not sure how much interest there is on the subject, but I just finished reading a rather interesting book by Annie Jacobsen called "Phenomena" which details the history of the government's research in ESP and psychokinesis during the cold war, including military applications. Needless to say a different bit of military history not often discussed by mainstream authors and certainly not Hollywood's "Men Who Stare At Goats" travesty. A lot of terrible things happened to people associated with the research covered in the book.

User avatar
jfko6
Posts: 2127
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:49 pm
eBay name: jfk9
Location: North East Region - U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by jfko6 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:38 pm

rationtin440 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm
Hey Steph1997 I'm not sure how much interest there is on the subject, but I just finished reading a rather interesting book by Annie Jacobsen called "Phenomena" which details the history of the government's research in ESP and psychokinesis during the cold war, including military applications. Needless to say a different bit of military history not often discussed by mainstream authors and certainly not Hollywood's "Men Who Stare At Goats" travesty. A lot of terrible things happened to people associated with the research covered in the book.
I collected a rather detailed collection of links and topics pertaining to the Cold War within the forums. Was hoping members would add to it. The main reason for posting all that info expired, but still relevant for all members and researches to see: share, comment, investigate, and discover an extremely important point in American history.

No one knows for certain when it started, but very clear indicators how it ended. McNamara’s biopic was one I found useful. And the reemergence of a second Cold War is a very real possibility. No one else seasoned that topic. Adding some salt 🧂 to it would be useful to exterior and interior visitors. The Cold War topic can be found here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9939
Image
The Long Gray Line
Learn more of the history of Army sports and The United States Military Academy
https://amzn.to/2tAVeyE -- https://amzn.to/2ChtZQr
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

User avatar
Steph1997
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 4:40 am

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by Steph1997 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:45 pm

rationtin440 wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:00 pm
Hey Steph1997 I'm not sure how much interest there is on the subject, but I just finished reading a rather interesting book by Annie Jacobsen called "Phenomena" which details the history of the government's research in ESP and psychokinesis during the cold war, including military applications. Needless to say a different bit of military history not often discussed by mainstream authors and certainly not Hollywood's "Men Who Stare At Goats" travesty. A lot of terrible things happened to people associated with the research covered in the book.
I totally love stuff like that! It’s kinda like how we all like mre’s , lots of people are always saying I never even really thought about food in the military . I’ll definitely check it out. I’m horrible at starting a book and then finding a new one and starting that one. I have like three books right now that I’m like 30% 40% 50% done with haha.
check out my youtube @campcooper

rationtin440
Posts: 1158
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:53 am
Location: occupied territories, new england

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by rationtin440 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:46 am

jfko6 and Steph, have you guys ever gone to check out cold war sites in the areas where you live, such as former AT&T comms bunkers or abandoned USAF sites? There are several places around where I live that are full of cold war history; an Air Force command post bunker that's now a college records storage site, an Air Defense gap-filler radar site abandoned but still standing, an AT&T AUTOVON comms bunker which is now a manufacturing facility for vinyl stuff, and a former nuclear weapons storage facility now part of a county correctional facility. coldwar-c4i.net is an excellent website that has a ton of info on all things cold war communications related.

User avatar
jfko6
Posts: 2127
Joined: Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:49 pm
eBay name: jfk9
Location: North East Region - U.S.A
Contact:

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by jfko6 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:08 pm

rationtin440 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:46 am
jfko6 and Steph, have you guys ever gone to check out cold war sites in the areas where you live, such as former AT&T comms bunkers or abandoned USAF sites? There are several places around where I live that are full of cold war history; an Air Force command post bunker that's now a college records storage site, an Air Defense gap-filler radar site abandoned but still standing, an AT&T AUTOVON comms bunker which is now a manufacturing facility for vinyl stuff, and a former nuclear weapons storage facility now part of a county correctional facility. coldwar-c4i.net is an excellent website that has a ton of info on all things cold war communications related.
Yes, I have structures I can walk to if I felt like a day walking.
Theses are Nike missile batteries or, silos that were placed
as a defense against the Russian Navy if they sailed too or got to close to New York City. It’s open to the public.
Image
The Long Gray Line
Learn more of the history of Army sports and The United States Military Academy
https://amzn.to/2tAVeyE -- https://amzn.to/2ChtZQr
U.S. Army Veteran
Duty * Honor * Country
American Legion Legionnaire

User avatar
Steph1997
Posts: 32
Joined: Sat May 02, 2020 4:40 am

Re: Books, movies, articles

Post by Steph1997 » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:56 pm

rationtin440 wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 11:46 am
jfko6 and Steph, have you guys ever gone to check out cold war sites in the areas where you live, such as former AT&T comms bunkers or abandoned USAF sites? There are several places around where I live that are full of cold war history; an Air Force command post bunker that's now a college records storage site, an Air Defense gap-filler radar site abandoned but still standing, an AT&T AUTOVON comms bunker which is now a manufacturing facility for vinyl stuff, and a former nuclear weapons storage facility now part of a county correctional facility. coldwar-c4i.net is an excellent website that has a ton of info on all things cold war communications related.
I live in California, do you know of any cool sites there??? I have a metal detector that I’ve been itching to use, but of course there’s a bunch of laws around it and even a annual fee.
I think I went to one in San Francisco where there were bunkers on the beach. That were so cool. I think it was from the second world war
check out my youtube @campcooper

Post Reply